Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 08:17 AM

708 posts, read 1,059,489 times

Advertisements

I can't really agree with the OP's points, as I think there are bad drivers all over the world. But since this is an NJ driver thread, my only real problem with my fellow drivers is why, when there are two left turn lanes, does the car in the left most lane almost always swing into the right lane during the turn? I don't know if this is an NJ problem only, but I suspect it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 09:25 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Since this thread is about driving in NJ, I have a question. When visiting family in NJ, we've noticed that a lot of intersections don't have left turn arrows. That makes for some tense driving. The light turns green and cars and buses that want to go left have to shoot out in front of cars going straight. So...why don't they put left turn arrows at these intersections? FWIW, we've seen this in Hackensack, Teaneck and Elizabeth.

I can see not having a left turn arrow if the intersection isn't a busy one. However, with busy intersections, it makes no sense. I'm amazed that there aren't a lot of accidents---although I've seen some close calls.
I don’t see that very often in South Jersey. We have many jug handles down here for left lane turns at busy intersections. I assumed that was pretty much the same all over the state. Are you sure all these intersections actually allow left turns?

Old 02-03-2019, 01:15 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t see that very often in South Jersey. We have many jug handles down here for left lane turns at busy intersections. I assumed that was pretty much the same all over the state. Are you sure all these intersections actually allow left turns?
Yes, those intersections allow for left turns. However, there are no dedicated left turn lanes. Sometimes I find myself cringing because I've seen several close calls when people make left turns

A simple fix, IMO, would be to add left turn signals and adjust the timing of the lights so that everyone can safely make left turns.

Right now, people who want to make left turns have to be aggressive. One day, as a pedestrian in Elizabeth, I watched as a NJ Transit bus made a left turn as cars that wanted to go straight were coming right at the bus

TBH, we've come to dread driving in Northern NJ and often find ourselves encouraging family to come visit us. Of course, that's not always possible for them to do so.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:18 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Sure the drivers on our NJ roads are horrible. But there are horrible drivers in every state as well. Seems OP has a way of finding the worse drivers NJ has to offer is all.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:19 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Ah, Potanta has another thread complaining about NJ drivers. This one is marginally better than the one about having to look at luxury cars, though.

I guess.

Old 02-03-2019, 01:43 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, those intersections allow for left turns. However, there are no dedicated left turn lanes. Sometimes I find myself cringing because I've seen several close calls when people make left turns

A simple fix, IMO, would be to add left turn signals and adjust the timing of the lights so that everyone can safely make left turns.

Right now, people who want to make left turns have to be aggressive. One day, as a pedestrian in Elizabeth, I watched as a NJ Transit bus made a left turn as cars that wanted to go straight were coming right at the bus

TBH, we've come to dread driving in Northern NJ and often find ourselves encouraging family to come visit us. Of course, that's not always possible for them to do so.
Yes, I’m afraid when I have to drive up there because I’m not used to that much volume. When I was online dating I wouldn’t even consider guys past Toms River. They’d offer to drive to me and I’d say “yes, but if we start dating, eventually I’ll have to drive up there and I know I won’t want to”.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnj1970 View Post
I can't really agree with the OP's points, as I think there are bad drivers all over the world. But since this is an NJ driver thread, my only real problem with my fellow drivers is why, when there are two left turn lanes, does the car in the left most lane almost always swing into the right lane during the turn? I don't know if this is an NJ problem only, but I suspect it isn't.
Of course you can't, he's a huge troll.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:51 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I’m afraid when I have to drive up there because I’m not used to that much volume. When I was online dating I wouldn’t even consider guys past Toms River. They’d offer to drive to me and I’d say “yes, but if we start dating, eventually I’ll have to drive up there and I know I won’t want to”.
I haven't driven there in a very long time, and I hope that I never have to again. My reflexes haven't gotten any better in the ensuing years.

Old 02-03-2019, 08:54 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Of course you can't, he's a huge troll.
I think of him as an unhappy, frightened, confused young man.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:01 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Time to get in the car, turn up the radio and go for a cruise. Very relaxing.

Babies tend to fall right asleep in a car. the rhythmic vibration and white noise are so soothing.

No mention of cell phone induced driving aberrations ?????

All the retirees have left the state.

now is a great time to count hawks in the treetops along the highways. pairing up for nesting season. Who knows you might even spot an eagle. Garbage days are a goldmine for neat stuff piled at the curb. Cruise the parking lots looking for dropped change or cash. check wind direction and search parking lots downwind for paper money.

Deer are everywhere, as are squirrels, how bad would you feel if you accidently ran over a squirrel???

Being declared a sanctuary state attracts even more people.

No matter how fast you drive you can't escape the taxes, so what's the urgency in reaching your destination. To get somewhere you have to fill up at a gas station and endure the nefarious gas tax. then you reach your destination and have to pay state tax..again! Gives one a feeling of hopelessness that results in slower speeds.

Also if you are transporting illegal substances like plastic straws, illegal firearms, drugs or participating in medicare transport fraud, it pays to be on the conservative side of posted speed limits. Medicare transport fraud pays well if you keep circling and taking the long way around. Lest we forget municipal workers making the most of their day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey