Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2019, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 723 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy an investment property for around $250k . A two apartment house , will rent both apartments in hopes to create at least $2500 income a month (after taxes & insurance).

I found a house in Sparta NJ, a 2600 square foot , two apartments (3 bedroom 1 bath each), good condition, just off a a shoping district for $250k. Taxes and insurance are about $800 a month.

But I have no idea what apartment rentals are like in Sparta NJ. I see many houses for rent, but no apartments. How much can i charge for rent monthly on each apartment? (1,300 hundred square foot apartment, 3 bedroom, 1 bath, utilities not included in rent) Just as important, is it a high demand area for apartment rentals??

Please advise. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 02:53 PM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
I can't speak to Sparta apartment demand but I have been there and know people who are renting a house there. I wouldn't expect it to be a high-demand place for apartments because it's definitely a family town for people who want to stay away from NYC (or who want NYC to stay away from them); it's so far from any train line, and housing is so inexpensive. But then again, if you're offering the only 2 apartments in town, it takes just 2 tenants to make a profitable business.

I'd post a few ads on Craiglist for the place, offering the same price per square foot as you see for houses, and see what prospective renters respond.

Old 02-05-2019, 03:43 AM

862 posts, read 975,776 times
I would look at ads for other vacant apartments in the town to see what other's are asking but Sparta is kind of probably not a big rental market. Just know being a landlord is not all that much fun and it will be work. My best advice is to screen potential tenants to keep out people who are not going to pay or give you any headaches.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:56 AM

10,471 posts, read 6,982,705 times
I guess people rent everywhere, but i don't see Sparta from my experience as a rental market.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:22 AM

69 posts, read 93,814 times
I would consult with a real estate agent in the area. they can show you rental data and determine a fair price for that particular home. If you need a referral for an agent let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey