Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 04:03 PM

11 posts, read 20,482 times

Advertisements

Hello all - we're looking to purchase our first house in NJ and have narrowed it down to Chatham and Glen Ridge. Both towns appear to have a somewhat decent commute into NYC and a good school system. However, as a non-NJ native I'd be curious to understand the major differences between the two towns as far as community, demographic and maybe some other pros and cons we haven't considered (I purposesly left this question vague, as I'm curious to hear multiple opinions). Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 08:50 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Chatham is nicer in the sense that you are surrounded by nicer towns. Glen Ridge is ok, but it borders East Orange and Bloomfield which can be rather gritty. Of course Chatham is farther out, so if you want a shorter commute to NYC then Glen Ridge would be the better option.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:03 AM

47 posts, read 40,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Chatham is nicer in the sense that you are surrounded by nicer towns. Glen Ridge is ok, but it borders East Orange and Bloomfield which can be rather gritty. Of course Chatham is farther out, so if you want a shorter commute to NYC then Glen Ridge would be the better option.

So, Bloomfield isn't a great area? I'm looking at Union County but I Know Zero about Union or Essex so, your input would be great! Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, just looking for guidance.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:31 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
Bloomfield is fine. Not amazing schools and not terrifying neighborhoods, it's... fine. An equivalent place in Union County would be Roselle Park.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:14 PM

173 posts, read 216,145 times
On the plus side, Glen Ridge is also right next to Montclair, which has some great restaurants/amenities.

Old 02-07-2019, 01:24 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,139,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici1075 View Post
So, Bloomfield isn't a great area? I'm looking at Union County but I Know Zero about Union or Essex so, your input would be great! Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread, just looking for guidance.
Bloomfield is a working class town. It's not a bad place. But when you're looking at towns like Chatham and Glen Ridge, which have some of the best schools in the state, Bloomfield just doesn't match up.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Thanks - yes, the commute is certainly a big consideration.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
On the plus side, Glen Ridge is also right next to Montclair, which has some great restaurants/amenities.
Yes, we love the downtown Montclair. Not too concerned about the other neighboring towns tbh.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:28 AM

275 posts, read 213,765 times
I'm biased towards Glen Ridge. It is convenient and it has that old town charm, but then again it is just a personal preference. I feel that property taxes are about the same, but the commute into NYC is obviosuly better from Glen Ridge.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:13 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
I'm biased towards Glen Ridge. It is convenient and it has that old town charm, but then again it is just a personal preference. I feel that property taxes are about the same, but the commute into NYC is obviosuly better from Glen Ridge.
Glen Ridge and Chatham property taxes are about the same???

That sounds very wrong to me.

Edit: Glen Ridge is considerably higher. Here is the official NJ division of taxation numbers below.

Glen Ridge Effective rate is about 3%.
Chatham is about 1.6%

On a million dollar home, that is $14,000 less in Chatham than Glen ridge, per year.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/tax...r/Morris18.pdf

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/tax...tr/Essex18.pdf

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 02-09-2019 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey