Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:54 PM

38 posts, read 101,082 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.
I'm accepting a job in the Princeton area in March - moving from San Diego, CA. My wife and I have a newborn, and we plan on renting short term; then buying a home or condo in late summer (would like to check out the areas before buying).

We are active 40's (ride bicycles, jog, etc..), sociable, enjoy the arts/culture/history, garage/shop wood work and dogs - and am looking forward to all the East Coast has to offer. We don't care about a large homes and probably prefer to rent a townhome or condo (w/garage). That said, we also like the open spaces.

We hadn't had a lot of time to look around the area, and are completely new to the East Coast. I went through Belle Mead and some northern towns and thought they were gorgeous. I'll be working in the Princeton Township area - off the 1 and don't wish to commute more than about 1/2 hour average.

Like most, we're looking for (nirvana ) nice areas; safe, clean, quiet, community oriented, and reasonable prices - 400k home prices. I hear the taxes there are bad - so some recommend driving from PA.

By the way, I've found the people in New Jersey to be really nice, warm friendly people - and if you're one of them - that's a compliment to your state.

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 02:13 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Driving from Pennsylvania will take more than a half hour. It all depends on where you're willing to compromise.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:29 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
New Jersey is a wonderful place, welcome to the state.You may find what you are looking for in the Columbus NJ area.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:14 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
Princeton is a lovely little town, with theaters, art galleries, parks etc. Unfortunately there are few places to rent in Princeton and there are very few condos and townhomes.
But if you look at realtor.com and use Princetons zip, 08540, several condos and townhomes (well within your price range) pop up. Parts of Plainsboro, South Brunswick, Franklin Township, West Windsor and Montgomery share Princetons' zip.

I am familiar with Canal Pointe (West Windsor) and Princeton Landing (Plainsboro) and they are both very close to Princeton and very popular. Both of these complexes have condos (with garages) for sale and rent.

Mercer County Park is very close and has 2 golf courses, a lake with paddle boats, indoor/outdoor tennis, ice skating, ball fields and several miles of biking, jogging, walking trails.

Good luck with your move!

Old 02-21-2010, 04:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Canal Pointe doesn't permit dogs.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:14 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,049,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Canal Pointe doesn't permit dogs.
Good catch!
Years ago, when we looked at renting there, we didn't have our "Land Sharks" so it wasn't an issue!

Old 02-21-2010, 08:01 PM

38 posts, read 101,082 times
Thank you so much. We can also look at a home in the short time - which sounds like there's more selection there. Anyway, thank you so much. I also wondered about Jamesburg - but some said it's was just ok.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:14 AM

137 posts, read 522,401 times
Hey why not check not Princeton Landing if you don't mind the $400 HOA fee. They are handsome looking and tucked away although right by Rt 1.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:07 AM

42 posts, read 84,684 times
Default Princeton Landing

OP--I'm a current resident of Princeton Landing and happy to fill you in on anything you need to know, as I researched this area heavily prior to moving here from NYC. I will say this---Do not be drawn away by the $400/mo HOA fees. This is a fair price when you consider that the community has the most unique curb appeal relative to the area.

Take a newer community like Windsor Ponds for example. It is a little over 5 years old (let's say it's new construction) but everyone has the same small patch of manicured grass in front of their homes. Conversely, Princeton Landing, has lush foliage, unique trees and even the smaller homes has landscaping that stands out from the neighbor's home. Now Windsor Ponds fee may be around $250 (not sure) but that is one of the major differences between the two. Also, Princeton Landing has 2 pools and a large clubhouse (which I believe will have a gym in the future but does not at this time). I would also add that anyone living in a luxury community pays an HOA fee. Take for example my cousin who lives in a condo building in Long Island. This is a high rise with no lawn and no special views and not near a train station. He pays $1000 a month!!! Also consider how much you'd pay for landcaping if you lived in a single home!!! And don't forget the HOA covers extensive snow removal, which was very necessary this season. That means walkways, sidewalks and of course driveways.

Finally, Princeton Landing I believe is the only community with both 2-car garages and (in most cases) finished basements as a feature in every home. A lot of what you'll see in the newer construction is 1-car garage, no basement, and in some cases, no pets. Hope this was helpful and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:28 PM

20 posts, read 71,218 times
Jamesburg is a nice, quaint, family oriented town in the midst of a revitalization. I live here and I would recommend it to anyone. I am a Realtor specializing in the Southern Middlesex County area so feel free to email me for more information. If you purchased a home already, congratulations and good luck! jeff@centraljerseyagent.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: