Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 10:44 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times

Advertisements

Brownstone has pretty good food overall but I don’t really like their pancakes. I mostly always get the same thing when I go there: Chicken and Waffles. I go to the Edgewater location and it’s pretty packed on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 10:59 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
I went to the Original Pancake House once. It was very good, but I thought the portions were a bit small.

I heard of the Brownstone Pancake Factory, but had no idea they were building in East Hanover. They seem a touch hipster and expensive for my typical tastes, but the menu looks really good. Will definitely check them out.
The sign is already up. It’s on rt 10 on the westbound side, in one of those strip malls.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:00 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Brownstone has pretty good food overall but I don’t really like their pancakes. I mostly always get the same thing when I go there: Chicken and Waffles. I go to the Edgewater location and it’s pretty packed on the weekends.
I like the pancakes, though, there is usually so much stuff on them or in them that you barely taste them.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:15 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I love Diner's,grew up on them! Pat's in Belmar (no longer there) was just great ! I got to take my kids there and they all so developed an appreciation for diner's. I saw some talking about IHOP and I loved them too but does anyone remember "Perkins" pancake house,my Mom loved that place and would take us there sometimes on Friday nights for dinner during lent!
Until recently, we had one on Route 35 in Eatontown. They went downhill in the past few years, and now it closed.

Quality of the food got worse, as did portions. For example, a few years ago in the fall they had a pumpkin pancake special. Came with eggs and fruit or something, IIRC. Anyway, those pancakes were delicious, pretty hearty with substance to them. They had oatmeal in them and real pumpkin. They came back the next fall as a special again. I went and got them twice.

Then the next year, they advertised them again, but they were a completely different product. It seemed all they did was throw some "pumpkin spice" into regular pancake batter. Similar changes happened with some of the soups that used to be good there, and I began to suspect that they were using those liquid "eggs" that come in a carton instead of real eggs. They looked and tasted wrong.

Started to notice fewer cars in the parking lot, and then one day, they were closed. Good riddance. With a couple of decent diners in the same area, they got what they deserved by cheaping out.

They also were getting careless in their business practices. They closed at 9 p.m., and when my friend and I stopped in around quarter after 8 one night for a late supper, a guy was already vacuuming the rugs in the place. As we ate, he came closer and closer with the vacuum until he was right next to our table vacuuming away, and it was so loud we couldn't hear each other talk. Finally I got up and asked the guy who appeared to be the manager if he couldn't have this idiot either turn the vacuum off or go clean another part of the restaurant where no people were sitting, and he did. But it shouldn't have had to come to that.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
while i dont miss the diners that have pass away; i do miss the delis. you cant find a local place for a corned beef sandwich anymore. the ones i remember have either closed up or they are dying. i dont really want to drive to edison to go to harolds which is a zoo and isnt particularly special. i want a local place serving me corned beef on rye bread. i cant believe i even lost adelmans deli on kings highway in brooklyn. me and my brother would go there to celebrate stuff.

in the meantime, i visit my mom in florida (delray beach) and the food court at the mall has 4 delis in it and they are all busy.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
while i dont miss the diners that have pass away; i do miss the delis. you cant find a local place for a corned beef sandwich anymore. the ones i remember have either closed up or they are dying. i dont really want to drive to edison to go to harolds which is a zoo and isnt particularly special. i want a local place serving me corned beef on rye bread. i cant believe i even lost adelmans deli on kings highway in brooklyn. me and my brother would go there to celebrate stuff.

in the meantime, i visit my mom in florida (delray beach) and the food court at the mall has 4 delis in it and they are all busy.
This one's a bit of a drive for you, but not as far as Edison. If you're near West End in Long Branch for any reason, it's pretty good.

Richard's Deli | Catering | Sandwiches | Tasty Combos | Wraps & Paninis | Appetizers | Salads | From the Grill | Specials | Desserts | Kids | Beverages | Breakfast | Eggs & Omlettes

Old 03-16-2019, 05:10 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

The Jewish delis do seem to be vanishing rapidly, and it’s a shame. It doesn’t seem to be due to a lack of desire for such establishments. I’m thinking it has to do with food and operating costs. A $5 foot long is in a different, far inferior universe than a $15 pastrami on rye, but Joe Blow doesn’t care too much about that. And the rabbi costs? Oy vey!

I know they’re real far away from you (and pretty far away for me too now), Cap’n, but Eppes Essen in Livingston and Kosher Nosh in Glen Rock still do gangbusters business and likely aren’t going anywhere soon. And some of those Kosher Nosh guys are lifers... I remember them working there when I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s, and they’re still slicin’. (Gus, who is ironically African-American, is their leader. He has to be there at least 40 years, and he’s still slingin’ that Nova.)

There are a few others here and there, but Eppes and the Nosh are likely the two best in the state these days.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
The Jewish delis do seem to be vanishing rapidly, and it’s a shame. It doesn’t seem to be due to a lack of desire for such establishments. I’m thinking it has to do with food and operating costs. A $5 foot long is in a different, far inferior universe than a $15 pastrami on rye, but Joe Blow doesn’t care too much about that. And the rabbi costs? Oy vey!

I know they’re real far away from you (and pretty far away for me too now), Cap’n, but Eppes Essen in Livingston and Kosher Nosh in Glen Rock still do gangbusters business and likely aren’t going anywhere soon. And some of those Kosher Nosh guys are lifers... I remember them working there when I was a kid in the late 70s and early 80s, and they’re still slicin’. (Gus, who is ironically African-American, is their leader. He has to be there at least 40 years, and he’s still slingin’ that Nova.)

There are a few others here and there, but Eppes and the Nosh are likely the two best in the state these days.
I'm glad you said that. I still drive up regularly to Midland Park to see my mom. We're not Jewish, but I bet she would love a pastrami sandwich from a place like Kosher Nosh.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:20 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm glad you said that. I still drive up regularly to Midland Park to see my mom. We're not Jewish, but I bet she would love a pastrami sandwich from a place like Kosher Nosh.
If you’re going to Midland Park, be sure to get a hot dog and some fire in the caboose chili from the Hot Dog Caboose too. I miss that place too! Where else can you get a hot dog from a real live (OK, technically dead) choo choo train?

Old 03-16-2019, 06:44 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:

The Kibitz Room in Cherry Hill is very good good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey