Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 04:16 PM

8 posts, read 4,656 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have lived in New Jersey (downtown Newark) for almost 2 years. I now would like to purchase a property (condo or 2-family house), I'm still deciding. I still don't know much about New Jersey but I've heard about the great neighborhoods like Montclair, Ironbound, some parts of Newark (downtown Newark and University Heights) but they are completely overpriced for my budget. I would like to purchase somewhere that is up and coming with an easy commute to NYC; ie I only have to take one form of transportation into the city versus multiple. I'm also looking for a neighborhood that is racially diverse with things to do for young professionals. My budget for a home os $200-250K. I also hear that Jersey has some very high taxes.
Anyway, if you could give me some insights about:
1. up and coming safe (or relatively safe) neighborhoods in New Jersey
2. racially diverse
3. "young professional" friendly
4. Is easily commutable to NYC
3. price within 200-250K, maybe $300K

please let me know. I am looking mostly in the Essex County. But I'm open to Hudson, Bergen and Morris County.
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 06:28 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Possibly the Brick Church section of East Orange.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:38 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
West Orange near the Orange border might qualify, though I don't know about the "things to do"... it's the suburbs.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:36 PM

@ansky Thanks.

@nybbler Things like restaurants bars. Things a person with no children (yet) can do to occupy themselves eg. arts & entertainment, activities, city events etc...

Thank you both for your responses. Open to more options.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:00 PM

195 posts, read 135,896 times
the condos are tricky with HOA/Maint and special assessments... have u tried condos or coops in the outer boroughs of nyc... or upstate ny.....up in coming is essentially tide to efficient transportation hubs/networks

Old 04-07-2019, 09:37 PM

728 posts, read 1,966,077 times
[quote=nwonike;54883195]Hello,
I have lived in New Jersey (downtown Newark) for almost 2 years. I now would like to purchase a property (condo or 2-family house), I'm still deciding. I still don't know much about New Jersey but I've heard about the great neighborhoods like Montclair, Ironbound, some parts of Newark (downtown Newark and University Heights) but they are completely overpriced for my budget. I would like to purchase somewhere that is up and coming with an easy commute to NYC; ie I only have to take one form of transportation into the city versus multiple. I'm also looking for a neighborhood that is racially diverse with things to do for young professionals. My budget for a home os $200-250K. I also hear that Jersey has some very high taxes.
Anyway, if you could give me some insights about:
1. up and coming safe (or relatively safe) neighborhoods in New Jersey
2. racially diverse
3. "young professional" friendly
4. Is easily commutable to NYC
3. price within 200-250K, maybe $300K

please let me know. I am looking mostly in the Essex County. But I'm open to Hudson, Bergen and Morris County.
Thank you!! [/QUOTE

downtown West Orange and downtown Bloomfield. There both realtively safe and up and coming to an extent. What I mean by that is they have seen their worst days already although there not going to become the next downtown Montclair. They both have proximity to to more fun places and are easily commutable to NYC.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:37 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwonike View Post
@ansky Thanks.

Things like restaurants bars. Things a person with no children (yet) can do to occupy themselves eg. arts & entertainment, activities, city events etc...
Keep in mind that Essex County is mostly suburban and family oriented. The towns with the most bars and restaurants are Montclair, South Orange, and Maplewood. But these are not really places geared towards singles, and of course these particular towns are very expensive with very high taxes. Are you planning to have a car? You're definitely going to need it for basic things like grocery shopping and just getting around the general area.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:14 AM

I will have a car but I also have family and friends in nyc who I see frequently. I would like to commute back and forth easily and they to have things to do around the neighborhood; when they decide to visit.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:25 PM

122 posts, read 122,805 times
Greenville

Old 04-09-2019, 09:12 PM

8 posts, read 7,262 times
If it has to be essex sounds like montclair is what you are looking for. Hudson county would be Hoboken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey