Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 07:02 PM

21 posts, read 13,774 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My family is moving to New Jersey from Texas. It’s going to be a big change. We are looking forward to 4 seasons! My kids went to a very competitive school. We are not too worried about the schools in NJ. They all seem very highly rated. Short Hills and Milburn are not areas we are interested in. My husband will be working in the Woodbridge area. These are the areas we are considering. Bernardsville,Basking Ridge,Chatham and Scotch Plains. We’d really like to live somewhere pretty with nice people and things to do with a nice Highschool attached. We can only see so much on google. Any insight on the differences in lifestyle, amenities and attitudes as well as schools would be really appreciated.
Thank you so much in advance. We are very excited to be moving to New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 08:16 PM

650 posts, read 774,905 times
People still move to nj?

Old 03-11-2019, 08:45 PM

21 posts, read 13,774 times
Default 😁

Lol yes. It’s a beautiful state...

Old 03-11-2019, 09:18 PM

356 posts, read 284,643 times
"nice" people? that's gonna cost extra.
LOL, i don't mean to give you a hard time. you be nice to us, we'll be nice to you. welcome!

Old 03-12-2019, 12:43 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Can there be some moving help here? Pretty please with sugar on top?

Old 03-12-2019, 03:41 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Chatham but not Summit ,Millburn/Short Hills?

Old 03-12-2019, 07:02 AM

280 posts, read 339,128 times
All of those options are great. Really it depends where you are commuting to. You can't go wrong in any of them in terms of amenities, neighborhoods, family feel, etc. I live in Bernardsville and love it. We looked at all of those towns as well and ended up here.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:56 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdana View Post
Hello everyone. My family is moving to New Jersey from Texas. It’s going to be a big change. We are looking forward to 4 seasons!
Just so you know, 4 seasons in NJ doesn't mean you get 3 months of each season. This is basically how it goes. Sadly, winter usually drags on the longest.

Winter: November thru March (5 months)
Spring: April-May (2 months)
Summer: June thru August (3 months)
Fall: Sept-October (2 months)

In terms of heating your home, you will need to start using your heat usually by mid October and it often doesn't go off for good until mid to late April.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:07 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
Yes, there are four seasons here. And our winter is not 5 months long.
  • November is cool but mild (my personal favorite). December isn't bad either.
  • January and February and half of March, yeah, that's winter! About ten weeks. Still mild compared to many places just north of us.
  • Second half of March, April and May are solid spring.
  • June, July, August and September are hot.
  • October is classic fall weather, some people's favorite month.

One thing you will notice about living in NJ is that many people will complain about the weather, any weather. Many people here in NJ seem to think that they are living in coastal San Diego and get perplexed at any sort of winter precipitation, low temperatures or hot weather in the summer.

Welcome! I'm sure will be fine in any of those towns.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:14 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Yes, there are four seasons here. And our winter is not 5 months long.
  • November is cool but mild (my personal favorite). December isn't bad either.
  • January and February and half of March, yeah, that's winter! About ten weeks. Still mild compared to many places just north of us.
  • Second half of March, April and May are solid spring.
  • June, July, August and September are hot.
  • October is classic fall weather, some people's favorite month.
Next week is the second half of March and temps are not expected to get out of the 40s. That's not Spring. As far as I'm concerned if I need to have my heat on it's Winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey