Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 02:47 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times

Advertisements

I'd add 10 minutes, certainly. Google looks like they have my morning commute pretty tightly dialed in, as I basically get to the office about the 9:26 they say I do.

Direct trains are certainly more expensive, there's a correlation to direct trains and housing values. There are people in Cranford who are pissed about no direct train yet hurting their home values. At the same time, you can't depend on outside factors like this when selling (or buying) a home, as they can always change.

Buses are awesome except when they aren't, if that makes sense. Once you're in the express bus lane you're golden but beforehand you're at the mercy of the rest of traffic. I haven't had an issue on the bus but I also don't ride it every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 03:21 PM

144 posts, read 324,497 times
Yes, it does. Thanks for your help everyone. It seems like NJ has limitless homes in our price range, and it really takes a keen understanding of the neighborhoods and commutes to know the pro's and cons and make a solid decision.

I mean, for instance, I saw a home in Clifton today for $380. Which was roughly the same same price, size, layout, taxes and commute time as a home in Roselle Park. Both towns have high schools rated below 4-5. What becomes the differentiator? Im guessing it all depends on whether you want to be closer to montclair or closer to cranford.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:14 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
The differentiator becomes not only the surrounding towns but adjacency to other routes. If you go to the shore once a month in the summer or have a grandmother in Troy Hills you're going to pick one versus the other much easier. You might not want to be part of the nexus of Routes 3, 46 and the GSP or you might want that flexibility for weekends. And then individual homes come into play, the two homes you saw might be comps but one could have a great view of the park and the other is two blocks from the train.

At some point it just comes down to how much you like a specific home.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:01 PM

144 posts, read 324,497 times
Thanks - This makes sense.

Does anyone have insight into Roselle Park's schools? They seem to be rated similar to Rahway or Union, but on the Facebook group, many seem to think that Roselle is leagues better. In my case, I do not need schools, but good to know in the grand scheme of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey