U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:46 PM

67,039 posts, read 62,696,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the boomers are the biggest snowflakes. they just project all of your shortcomings and pretend it is the millenials.

its probably mostly old people complaining about the leaf blowers because old people complain about everything. how much time is anyone spending leaf blowing? my property is an acre so it can take me a while to blow it but nobody is close enough to be bothered. if someone has a small yard, they are only going to blow for a short period of time.
You calling me OLD? I'll run up to Holmdel and slap you silly with one hand behind my back!

Old 03-20-2019, 02:49 PM

29,501 posts, read 34,010,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You calling me OLD? I'll run up to Holmdel and slap you silly with one hand behind my back!
i could blow you away from me with my leaf blower granny!

just kidding, i said mostly old people. i was talking about that retreiver guy who grows tomatoes but wont give me any. he calls them "maters."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I'm pretty sure you'd be complaining also if you had the kind of neighbors who did not stay on top of yard maintenance.

How do you think that maintenance happens? Leaf blowers and lawn mowers.

I gifted my leaf blower to my old neighbor when I moved into a town house with an HOA that takes care of all exterior maintenance. However, I regret doing that because that leaf blower would have come in handy to blow out the dust, leaves, dirt and salt that gets tracked into my garage. Was also thinking that it would be useful to blow away all of my moron neighbors' recycling that ends up on my walkways and porch every week, because they can't bother to put their recycling out in a manner where it won't get knocked over and blow all over the goddamned place at the slightest breeze.

You'd really hate to have me as a neighbor. Even when my parents used to make me rake leaves by hand, I would do it while blasting Guns N' Roses and Motley Crue from a boom box. If my parents still had me raking leaves in high school, I would've been blasting Junior M.A.F.I.A and Dr. Dre.

See, things can always, always be worse.
for 30 bucks a little electric blower like below can take care of the garage. we got it when we lived in a community.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DE...B700/206813046

it amazes me how people get bothered by so much stuff. my wife says that i am not normal in that nothing bothers me but i dont know. it must be annoying to be bothered by so much stuff that is outside of your control.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Old white people are especially the worst. I lived in a condo once for 2 years. We legally rented it as tenants. The HOA once fined our unit for causing the exterior wall to be covered in black soot that allegedly came from our electric grill on the patio. Sounds reasonable right? Except we were on the 3rd floor and the black marks stretched from the ground to the second floor. Idk about you, but I've never never seen grill smoke go straight down the side of a building...and we barely even used it. I know we were targeted by the HOA because we were some of the youngest people in the complex and we fought for a good 2 months on that and refused to pay for it.

They also tried kicking me out of the pool once because they just didn't recognize me (I'm white myself, imagine if I was black). They tried kicking me and a neighbor out once because each unit was allowed 2 guests each. We invited 2 friends each to the pool. They tried to bend the rules and say because we were friends, it didn't count and we were in violation. We didn't leave so he called the HOA pres and we just ignored them entirely so they tried to fine us for using the pool toys that another family had left at the pool. They weren't ours...young to mid 20 year olds aren't buying pool floaties and blow up rafts. We used them and the inflatable balls and the pool noodles and they tried to fine us for them until I challenged them to prove they were mine and we again just ignored them.

They also tried towing my car once because my garage door remote broke, so I used my guest pass to park MY OWN CAR in the guest spot till I could fix the remote. It was not more than a day. I came home from work the following day, placed the guest pass sign in the window, and another old white man sprinted (old white man sprinting speed in his white velcro shoes with white knee high socks on) over to me saying I'm violating the HOA rules. I explained to him what was going on and that I was literally just going to put my stuff in my unit, take a dump after a long day of work, and go get a new battery. He waited at my car for me to come back and timed the entire thing. He told me once I got back to the car that if it had been more than 45 minutes he was going to have called the two truck company. Meanwhile, their old white man Cadillacs and Buicks sat there all the time because they broke down or were too big to fit into the parking spaces.

I once ran into the clubhouse to take a dump while experiencing food poisoning because it was on the walk (sprint) to my unit and the security guard walked in. This was around like 10pm while she was doing her rounds. She told me I wasn't allowed to use the clubhouse bathrooms because I wasn't using the clubhouse or the pool at the time. Clearly I yelled at her to go away and leave me alone because my insides were exploding, but of course the HOA wrote me a nasty letter.

Needless to say, I hated my two years there and couldn't wait to move. Literally every.little.thing. I did was scrutinized by old white men (and once a lady). But I'm overly sensitive and complain about everything just because I don't tolerate racism and bigotry and I call it out when I see it. Old suburban white people with nothing but time on their hands will find absolutely anything to occupy their time and they love when that time is occupied by something they can complain about or ridicule someone else about.

I will say the only positive of the leafblowing bans is the pollution it saves. The noise I couldn't give less s***s about because I actually have a job and leave the house from 8:30-6pm and I'm not bored and retired sitting at home waiting for someone to do something wrong. Not saying that's you lol don't worry. Just seems to be the type of person that would call in a leafblower being too loud. I promise I didn't get that vibe from you.

Saving the environment and reducing pollution is a wonderful thing though and I appreciate that aspect of it. Idk enough about leafblowing or lawn mowing since I live in Jersey City, but is there something in between loud gas leafblowers and a rake? Quieter electric ones?

As for turning off the blower when people walk by, idk if it's policy or just legit human decency, but I've never had someone blow a leafblower at me while I'm walking past. They always let me pass and then continue on.
Lol. I am not sitting home. Retired, but work pt by choice and because it's easy money. On the train coming back from the city right now.

I am never bored. I write, do photography and travel 1000 miles round trip every month.

I'll get old when I am 90 like my mom. Oh wait, she's reading, doing crosswords and jigsaw and going to lunch regularly. When I saw her yesterday she was burning copies of her old will in the chiminea outside. Then she told me she has some ideas for short stories she wants to write. She doesn't think she's old. And hell, her uncle and his wife are still living.

It does seem as if they could make quieter, less smelly blowers.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
i could blow you away from me with my leaf blower granny!

just kidding, i said mostly old people. i was talking about that retreiver guy who grows tomatoes but wont give me any. he calls them "maters."
Retriever likes me better.

Not a granny and never will be. Well, I have a grand cat and my dd and her bf plan to have four dogs. They have names picked out already.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
It does seem as if they could make quieter, less smelly blowers.

Quote:

Not a granny and never will be. Well, I have a grand cat and my dd and her bf plan to have four dogs. They have names picked out already.
i use one on my back and dont ever notice the smell. i think id only smell it if i had it running inside my garage, which doesnt really happen. i think they vary in noisiness but arent going to be a quiet machine. i feel like people exaggerate how bothersome they are.

how old is your daughter? she may pop out a baby sometime. i remember a friend's brother saying that they didnt plan to have kids and then i go check out his instagram and bam! a kid!!! having a kid really sucked at first (first 4-5 months) but i could never articulate how awesome it is now.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
i use one on my back and dont ever notice the smell. i think id only smell it if i had it running inside my garage, which doesnt really happen. i think they vary in noisiness but arent going to be a quiet machine. i feel like people exaggerate how bothersome they are.

how old is your daughter? she may pop out a baby sometime. i remember a friend's brother saying that they didnt plan to have kids and then i go check out his instagram and bam! a kid!!! having a kid really sucked at first (first 4-5 months) but i could never articulate how awesome it is now.
27, but no, she will not be having children. She doesnt want them, but she also should not for medical reasons and has already done what she needed to ensure that it cannot happen.

My late bro's daughter has two, and another niece has 5, so I have littles to play with if I want.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:30 PM

16,350 posts, read 19,738,975 times
Quote:
Indeed I do, and I continue to be highly selective regarding the people who are qualified to be recipients of my heirloom tomatoes and other organic vegetables.

Note: Libertarians and others who suffer from the plague of misanthropy need not apply for a portion of my harvest. Why would I want to share my bounty with people who hate all of mankind?

Old 03-20-2019, 08:47 PM

3,720 posts, read 1,300,230 times
Quote:
Ah, how nice it was to grow up in a time when people weren't prissy about lawns. It was so much fun in the fall when the whole family would go out and rake, we'd jump in the leaves, and then pile them all together and burn them with foil-wrapped potatoes baking in the fire. Best potatoes ever with butter and salt.

The burning leaves smelled so good. Now it's loud stupid machines that smell like exhaust because everybody thinks a lawn should look like some sort of unnatural green carpeting.
Well, mine is electric, so there's no exhaust, and I only put organic fertilizers on the grass because of the kids and dogs. We also have three giant boulders in the front yard that were probably dug up when the foundation went in. Because of those boulders, along with tree roots that stick up above the ground, the previous owner put a bed of small rocks around the area. You can't rake the leaves out of the rocks, and picking them out by hand would take way too long.

I also spent a fair amount of time today blowing the asphalt out of the grass on the edge of the street. Our street is in such bad shape that every time the snowplows come by, half the street ends up in the yards along with the snow. There's no way you could pick those out by hand, and the bits are so small they just go through the tines of the rake. I suppose I could do what our neighbors do, and let the yard turn to a nice mix of asphalt, matted leaves, and a bit of weeds.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Well, mine is electric, so there's no exhaust, and I only put organic fertilizers on the grass because of the kids and dogs. We also have three giant boulders in the front yard that were probably dug up when the foundation went in. Because of those boulders, along with tree roots that stick up above the ground, the previous owner put a bed of small rocks around the area. You can't rake the leaves out of the rocks, and picking them out by hand would take way too long.

I also spent a fair amount of time today blowing the asphalt out of the grass on the edge of the street. Our street is in such bad shape that every time the snowplows come by, half the street ends up in the yards along with the snow. There's no way you could pick those out by hand, and the bits are so small they just go through the tines of the rake. I suppose I could do what our neighbors do, and let the yard turn to a nice mix of asphalt, matted leaves, and a bit of weeds.
Haha, no, nobody should have to have that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey