Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:10 PM

337 posts, read 356,126 times

Advertisements

Been seeing a lot of references like these in real estate listings. Here is one example:

https://www.trulia.com/p/nj/newark/1...12--2006325794

Yes, realtors do everything they can to get their commissions, but how truthful is this? I hear nothing but bad things about anything in the South Ward of Newark which is exactly where Weequahic is.

The "Highly Desirable Weequahic" Section.

Any Native Newark-ers have any insight on this area of Newark?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 09:38 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
Been seeing a lot of references like these in real estate listings. Here is one example:

https://www.trulia.com/p/nj/newark/1...12--2006325794

Yes, realtors do everything they can to get their commissions, but how truthful is this? I hear nothing but bad things about anything in the South Ward of Newark which is exactly where Weequahic is.

The "Highly Desirable Weequahic" Section.

Any Native Newark-ers have any insight on this area of Newark?
I'm not a native New Yorker, but here is what I have heard about the South Ward.

As you may know, there is a desire by some to extend the PATH train system out to Newark Airport. It sounds stupid to many on the surface, but being in the engineering/public transportation industry, here's what I have seen and heard.

When the Newark Airport stop was added, it was made inaccessible from the South Ward because of perceived crime in the area. They didn't want airport travelers getting harassed and robbed. You will notice the NJT EWR stop is fenced off and surrounded by wetlands. The South Ward residents can't get there.

But now--developers and real estate investors who've watched what has happened in J.C. and Hoboken have turned their eyes toward Newark. Property has been purchased in the South Ward, and that's what's behind the PATH to EWR extension. The area will be opened up, made accessible, the rich will get richer.

And the South Ward will be gentrified. From what i know, I believe this will go as expected. You won't make money on it tomorrow or in five years, but in ten, maybe. In twenty, definitely.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:22 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
It looks like they're marketing that property to investors. It might not be desirable on a quality-of-life level to live-in homeowners but investors may find that section highly-desirable. Just a thought..

I can't speak much on the neighborhood since I've only been there once.

When I visited last December, the neighborhood looked pretty beat-down but the few people we met seemed very nice. We went into a very small African-owned bodega/supermarket and they were very kind. I was surprised since most store owners in the hood are usually very nasty and unwelcoming

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-21-2019 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-23-2019, 02:24 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not a native New Yorker, but here is what I have heard about the South Ward.

As you may know, there is a desire by some to extend the PATH train system out to Newark Airport. It sounds stupid to many on the surface, but being in the engineering/public transportation industry, here's what I have seen and heard.

When the Newark Airport stop was added, it was made inaccessible from the South Ward because of perceived crime in the area. They didn't want airport travelers getting harassed and robbed. You will notice the NJT EWR stop is fenced off and surrounded by wetlands. The South Ward residents can't get there.

But now--developers and real estate investors who've watched what has happened in J.C. and Hoboken have turned their eyes toward Newark. Property has been purchased in the South Ward, and that's what's behind the PATH to EWR extension. The area will be opened up, made accessible, the rich will get richer.

And the South Ward will be gentrified. From what i know, I believe this will go as expected. You won't make money on it tomorrow or in five years, but in ten, maybe. In twenty, definitely.
I wonder if that is why the Newark Subway doesn't stop at the West or South Wards because maybe they didn't want people who might be perceived as "criminals" to ride the subway, especially since the subway goes to many important places that attract white collar workers.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:57 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I wonder if that is why the Newark Subway doesn't stop at the West or South Wards because maybe they didn't want people who might be perceived as "criminals" to ride the subway, especially since the subway goes to many important places that attract white collar workers.
The subway was built almost 100 years ago. I don't know what the south ward was like back then, but probably different from today.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:13 PM

5,135 posts, read 3,747,404 times
Father and uncle went to Weequahic HS in the mid late 1940's. Grandparents lived on Seymour Ave until 1960. Different world but I guess you would call it middle class. After the Riots forget about it.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:09 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
Father and uncle went to Weequahic HS in the mid late 1940's. Grandparents lived on Seymour Ave until 1960. Different world but I guess you would call it middle class. After the Riots forget about it.
It used to be a solidly middle-class Jewish community. That's where Philip Roth grew up and a lot of his books are set.

Wikipedia says:

Quote:
The post-World War II growth of suburbs and Second Great Migration of African Americans altered the demographic make-up of Newark in general and the Weequahic section in particular. The neighborhood might have stayed middle class if not for the devastating effects of real estate blockbusting and the construction of Interstate 78. I-78 tore Weequahic's fragile urban fabric and separated the neighborhood from the rest of Newark. The 1967 Newark riots were also devastating to the district. The Weequahic district also experienced white flight, though the focal point of the riots was in the Central Ward.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:26 AM

141 posts, read 243,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

As someone we lived in the area and still have family in the area, this is spot on. A high rise building "Caramel Towers" is being renovated. It sits right across from Weequahic Park and will be a few minutes walk from the proposed PATH extension.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:46 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdotSmith View Post
A high rise building "Caramel Towers" is being renovated.
That sounds like a delectable residence!
Unfortunately, most of the folks in that section of Newark will have to settle for the renovation of Carmel Towers.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:19 PM

99 posts, read 285,450 times
No question, when and it the Path station stop comes to fruition the entire section will be built up. All of the warehouses on frelinghuysen avenue have been bought out and sit vacant. The projects on that road has also been shut down. The Dayton Street Area is all ready to be totally rebuilt. This will also shift up across Weequahic Park to the South Ward and Hillside. This has some amazingly beautiful large colonials. Once gentrification hits that you will find the NJ version of Prospect Park Brooklyn. Won't be soon. But I imagine what this can and will be in 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey