U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 12:40 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,852,986 times

Advertisements

They have tried to gentrify the Great Falls area which is probably the best place to gentrify.

I don’t even think that’s an option in the near future.

Cooke Mills was suppposed to bring in an influx of more affluent residents. It now offers subsidized housing.

Many of the mills are for public use, such as for schools.

The Art Factory is there but there are no free art galleries. Paterson could have at least one art gallery to bring in more affluent people.

They do have Phonenix and Essex Mills which is a subsidized housing development for artists.

Paterson, at least in our lifetime, will always be a city for the poor and downtrodden.

As long as city officials could pocket CDBG money, why would they not want to keep the population poor? This is why I don’t see Paterson gentrifying anytime soon.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 12:41 PM

8,256 posts, read 15,315,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margharita23 View Post
hmm there are people who move to Nyack or Hudson or Kingston so i don't know if commute is an issue (or a bigger issue than affordability) for your people who are looking to find affordable housing outside NYC.
I'm unaware of people moving to Hudson or Kingston and commuting to Manhattan daily. Nyack is across the Tappan Zee from Tarrytown and according to schedules, it takes only 38 minutes on Metro North to go from Tarrytown to Grand Central. Taking the bus from Nyack to Tarrytown to Midtown takes a total of 1:23 according to Google Maps.

With no direct trains to Midtown, it takes 1:09 on the bus according to Google Maps. And that's just average. I'm sure with tunnel traffic in the morning that could push 1:30. And Nyack/Tarrytown is infinitely better than Paterson. By train to Penn Station from Paterson takes 47 minutes, but you'd still probably have to get to Midtown or FiDi from there also.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:34 PM

87 posts, read 47,184 times
those are upstate NY towns by the river and there are many young people who move there (that i know) to own a home and have a family and they do remind me a lot of NJ suburbs.

Old 03-29-2019, 04:53 PM

i do have a friend who moved to Nyack and he is commuting to the city three time a week and he is always on a bus, then train and walk. He says total takes him more than 2 hours. Paterson is far but many freelancers and artists who work from home make up the communities in the Hudson towns so i meant if there could be such a community in Paterson? I can see there is lots of crime, drugs etc but Brooklyn and certain parts is still like that. Paterson is so diverse and so fascinating in many ways. How about Passaic Park, any particular feedback about there? It is close to Clifton, Rutherford and those areas seem to have a lot of development.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:35 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,299,730 times
There is definitely a community of artists in Paterson but that does not mean it is a safe place to live. You can not compare it to nyack or Hudson which were never close to as dangerous as Paterson is. I know a few of the artists that live in the converted factory lofts near the falls and they do not feel safe going out at night because of the crime. Most are older and have lived there for years and have seen it deteriorate even more although the apartment building is still nice. In fact many of the new lofts and apartments are quite nice. That is a gang zone filled with homeless around the Costello park with the Salvation Army right there. The safest place is probably the middle eastern section. FYI, the area around the train station is also not safe at night and I would not be ok with taking the train and walking home. Hot spot for drug related crimes.
The schools are not good as you know. Some students are smart and do well with parental support. Having spent time at jfk and east side, I can say that the school campuses are safe and there are good teachers who work with motivated students. It is not a place for students with LD or other issues because of limited resources. Pccc is a good resource for students who can’t afford to go away to college.
I haven’t worked in Passaic recently but a couple of years ago it was mostly Mexican or orthodox Jewish. Probably less dangerous than Paterson.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:52 PM

do you find Newark comparable to Paterson in terms of crime and it is as i understand now gentrifying because of easy access to the city?

Old 03-29-2019, 09:29 PM

10,200 posts, read 8,516,502 times
Paterson and Passaic will not gentrify unless some major political happens like Europe becomes overrun with third world thugs, and all the middle, and upper classes of Europe move to the New World, and prefer to live near NYC.

As for now, there is still a lot of room between NYC, and Passaic/Paterson. Unless Amazon, Google, and Facebook move to Paterson, is not happening.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:59 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,286,626 times
Next Question: When will Trenton gentrify?

Old 03-30-2019, 12:20 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,299,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by margharita23 View Post
do you find Newark comparable to Paterson in terms of crime and it is as i understand now gentrifying because of easy access to the city?
Newark is much bigger. It is in a better position because of nyc path access.
Newark also houses 2 major universities, 2 large event venues, corporate headquarters a Whole Foods and a much less transient population. It also has a more robust and competent city government and more nonprofits serving vulnerable populations. Newark is in a better position to improve because it has more investment from organizations with roots in the community ( Rutgers, njit, pseg, prudential, audible) and are large employers.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:22 AM

got it. thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey