Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:08 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,008,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Every North Jersey mall I usually go to (Rockaway, Livingston, Short Hills, and Willowbrook) tend to have mostly young people working retail jobs and the people working there look young but they look the age where they are out of college. This shows how trying to live in NJ as a financially independent Millennial is not doable at all. You need a decade of experience to live here and be super prestigious on work experience. Most people who grow up in NJ are madly in love with NJ and want to live here forever but NJ's Millennials are living at home until 30 years old.

Yesterday I was talking to a guy on Tinder and the only job he could get is a 40K storage manager job and obviously you need at least 50K to be financially independent in a cheaper state. Well he is 26, 4 years out of college, still living at home due to not getting a good job with his Business Degree. Applying, applying everywhere in nj.

I can't even get an IT internship in NJ, that's how horrendous it is. When I finish college I am just going to apply somewhere cheaper like NM where there are tons of IT jobs and it seems easier to even get a job out there. Obviously I have no desire to live back in NJ for my reasons.
You can also apply to Wok From Home IT jobs without having to move.You should really look into that option before moving away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 05:33 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Some of you have suggested looking at another state far away.

But that is easier said than done. You have to do person to person interviews, which means flying out there, paying for hotel, rental car/uber. Its going to be hard to line up interviews all in same week. Different companies have different needs, and different scheduling for interviewing.

Which means you may have to fly out multiple times. How will you find the time off from current work to do so?

I am currently looking out west, and is just entry level work. I cannot seem to coordinate any kind of group/panel interviews though. I cannot fly out west multiple times a month to do each interview.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im not entirely sure why people would even look to stay in nj. there are places throughout the country that appear to offer much more in terms of quality of life. if i was graduating college, looking for employment i would certainly expand my search to different parts of the country. i am very happy in nj but if i wasnt tied here financially; there would be a very high chance that i would be out of here.
But less jobs out there even entry level retail. Lesser people equals higher quality of life, but at the same time lesser people means lesser job prospects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I never grew up here and did not move until I was nearly 40. What I am saying is that there is a LOT of poverty here that you are not used to living in a place like near Denville. A child in northern NJ is going to be instilled with different morals and beliefs than a child does here, generally. There are exceptions. But I have lived a long time in New Jersey and now I have lived quite a while here. You are talking about two different worlds.
Nah, we have Newark, JC, Union City, Trenton, Elizabeth, Orange, East Orange, Irvington, Paterson, Passaic. We are super close to the Bronx, and Camden, Atlantic City. New Jersey is not soft. Plus our summers are way more humid than NM, and our winters are suppose to be harsher (no thanks to climate change).

NJ is not soft by any means. I am sure there are nice parts of New Mexico too, just as there are in NJ.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
I moved from N.J. to NV and though I have zero regrets, one thing I do miss about NJ is the considerably lower crime rate. I was robbed as a tourist in Las Vegas years ago and the cops didn’t care so my eyes were wide-open to the crime issue upon relocating. I live in one of the nicest areas of Vegas but property crime is still a much more common occurrence than in N.J., including porch pirates. We spent $6k+ on Security doors, Security film for windows, and floodlight cameras. Always park our cars in the garage. Never even occurred to me to take such precautions in N.J. With that said, I’d be kicking and screaming if I had to move back to North Jersey - the cost of living / major tax advantages, lack of congestion aside from the Strip, excellent infrastructure (roads and airport), more laid-back attitude, weather and much easier access to world-class outdoor recreation more than make up for the crime issue. Pros and cons to every situation in life. ABQ apparently has much higher crime than Vegas and NM is way up there in terms of poverty - pretty much on par with Alabama and Mississippi. NM has plenty of beauty, but to the OP just beware that there are definite downsides.

I wouldn’t go so far as to say nobody who was raised in Morris Country would resort to being a porch pirate - the heroin epidemic has certainly hit Morris County like so many other communities in the US. However, I would agree that such crimes are much less common in Morris County and the cops actually care and follow up on such issues. They darn well better given their pay and pension. My experience dealing with a local N.J. police department when I was the victim of a minor petty crime was far superior to my experience dealing with LVPD for a more serious crime.

And to the OP, the California junkies aren’t “nice†- they’re just as trashy and desperate as junkies everywhere else and are happy to steal from you if the opportunity presents itself.
If you dont mind me asking, did you move to NV first before finding jobs, or did you find before moving?

Old 04-02-2019, 07:48 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But less jobs out there even entry level retail. Lesser people equals higher quality of life, but at the same time lesser people means lesser job prospects.

Nah, we have Newark, JC, Union City, Trenton, Elizabeth, Orange, East Orange, Irvington, Paterson, Passaic. We are super close to the Bronx, and Camden, Atlantic City. New Jersey is not soft. Plus our summers are way more humid than NM, and our winters are suppose to be harsher (no thanks to climate change).

NJ is not soft by any means. I am sure there are nice parts of New Mexico too, just as there are in NJ.
Less people can't equal a higher quality of life when there are no jobs. Small towns do not have robust economies to support a high quality of life.

There's a difference between growing up in poverty in NJ/NYC surrounded by money and opportunities. In a desolate, rural, financially depressed part of the US, you don't even have incentive to achieve much because success is so foreign to you. Then, even if you wanted to achieve something, there are very limited resources available to you in those parts of the country.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Less people can't equal a higher quality of life when there are no jobs. Small towns do not have robust economies to support a high quality of life.

There's a difference between growing up in poverty in NJ/NYC surrounded by money and opportunities. In a desolate, rural, financially depressed part of the US, you don't even have incentive to achieve much because success is so foreign to you. Then, even if you wanted to achieve something, there are very limited resources available to you in those parts of the country.
As if being surrounding by wealth and success means you will automatically move up, and never give up hope. Urban areas have generational poverty like anywhere else. NYC/NJ have an entire underclass that has been ongoing for decades if not more.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:50 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
As if being surrounding by wealth and success means you will automatically move up, and never give up hope. Urban areas have generational poverty like anywhere else. NYC/NJ have an entire underclass that has been ongoing for decades if not more.
Yes, but the opportunity is there. Someone from Paterson or the Bronx can get an education and hustle and work a good job one day in Manhattan without ever leaving. Someone from rural NM can be as educated as possible, but there are no opportunities for them and they must leave to find a good job. Proving that the higher quality of life is in bigger cities.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Yes, but the opportunity is there. Someone from Paterson or the Bronx can get an education and hustle and work a good job one day in Manhattan without ever leaving. Someone from rural NM can be as educated as possible, but there are no opportunities for them and they must leave to find a good job. Proving that the higher quality of life is in bigger cities.
Very rare unless you want to go back 70s and prior. But if you count that, I can also count the number of success stories to come out of rural areas. Take Stan Kroenke, Jerry Jones for example.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:05 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Every North Jersey mall I usually go to (Rockaway, Livingston, Short Hills, and Willowbrook) tend to have mostly young people working retail jobs and the people working there look young but they look the age where they are out of college. This shows how trying to live in NJ as a financially independent Millennial is not doable at all. You need a decade of experience to live here and be super prestigious on work experience. Most people who grow up in NJ are madly in love with NJ and want to live here forever but NJ's Millennials are living at home until 30 years old.

Yesterday I was talking to a guy on Tinder and the only job he could get is a 40K storage manager job and obviously you need at least 50K to be financially independent in a cheaper state. Well he is 26, 4 years out of college, still living at home due to not getting a good job with his Business Degree. Applying, applying everywhere in nj.

I can't even get an IT internship in NJ, that's how horrendous it is. When I finish college I am just going to apply somewhere cheaper like NM where there are tons of IT jobs and it seems easier to even get a job out there. Obviously I have no desire to live back in NJ for my reasons.
You/we live in the world of online forums, which is largely populated by college graduates who have office jobs (or are currently unemployed) and 24/7 internet access and time on their hands to post on these forums and speculate about a large variety of things.

But if you go out in the real world, you'll see a lot more types of people. The Mexican/Latin American day laborers, the men and women in their 40s/50s/60s working at Shop Rite, the waitress at your local diner, the person who is at the drive through at Wendy's. Most of those people aren't on the internet all day and they might not even have regular access to the internet.

These people somehow manage to make a living in the state of NJ and live here.

So, yes ... in the world of the US born, college educated yuppie, 40K is a low salary, and almost poverty level, when you compare yourself to yuppies of similar ilk. But if you go out and take a look around you, there are a lot more types of people out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey