Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 10:45 AM

88,563 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Indeed there is a political history there!
Those bridges were originally under the purview of the old Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Authority (TBTA).
Beginning in the early '60s, there were proposals from NYC Mayor John Lindsay to merge the TBTA with the MTA, but internecine squabbling over the details delayed that merger for several years.

Finally, in 1968, Governor Rockefeller signed legislation merging the two authorities. By the mid-70s, TBTA signage disappeared.
Ah, I know TBTA is one of the parts of the MTA, but I didn't know the history.

I happen to be at an event today where I listened to a panel on congestion pricing--oh wait--the Central Business District Tolling Program.

They will be working out the pricing and the exemptions, but the bottom line is that the goal is $1.5 billion per year. MTA subways and buses get 80% and LIRR and Metro North 10% each. Program should be worked out by the end of 2020 with implementation in 2021.

In related news, Connecticut will start tolling I-95 and I-84. Their bridges are in bad shape.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:09 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Ah, I know TBTA is one of the parts of the MTA, but I didn't know the history.

I happen to be at an event today where I listened to a panel on congestion pricing--oh wait--the Central Business District Tolling Program.

They will be working out the pricing and the exemptions, but the bottom line is that the goal is $1.5 billion per year. MTA subways and buses get 80% and LIRR and Metro North 10% each. Program should be worked out by the end of 2020 with implementation in 2021.

In related news, Connecticut will start tolling I-95 and I-84. Their bridges are in bad shape.
What does that mean? They've always had tolls. Used to be a quarter .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Hmm, I didn't personally remember one way or the other, but the woman on the panel who spoke yesterday (CT state senator Alex Bergstein) said that Connecticut had tolls on some roads up until 25 years ago when a terrible accident caused them to do away with the tolls. I don't know the details of this accident or how it was related to the tolling system.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:50 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:

The tolls were removed 35 years ago.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I didn't personally remember one way or the other, but the woman on the panel who spoke yesterday (CT state senator Alex Bergstein) said that Connecticut had tolls on some roads up until 25 years ago when a terrible accident caused them to do away with the tolls. I don't know the details of this accident or how it was related to the tolling system.
Oh. That's interesting. I can see something like that happening, especially if they got out of the car (!) to retrieve the money on the ground that didn't make it into the basket. Doing away with tolls all together seems a little drastic, though. There used to be one near each of the major towns.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Oh. That's interesting. I can see something like that happening, especially if they got out of the car (!) to retrieve the money on the ground that didn't make it into the basket. Doing away with tolls all together seems a little drastic, though. There used to be one near each of the major towns.
lammius is right, it was 35 years ago, not 25. I must have misheard her.

In 1985, a tractor-trailer driver fell asleep at the wheel just before a toll plaza and crashed into four cars, killing seven people. This was on the Connecticut Turnpike, part of which is shared with I-95.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
lammius is right, it was 35 years ago, not 25. I must have misheard her.

In 1985, a tractor-trailer driver fell asleep at the wheel just before a toll plaza and crashed into four cars, killing seven people. This was on the Connecticut Turnpike, part of which is shared with I-95.
Yes, I just looked it up. Turns out it had nothing to do with the tolls, the truck driver fell asleep at the wheel.

"While the 1983 Stratford accident was cited as the main reason for abolishing tolls in Connecticut, the underlying reason was that federal legislation at that time forbade states with toll roads from using federal funds for road projects. Because the Mianus River Bridge was rebuilt with federal highway funds following its June 1983 collapse, Connecticut was required by Section 113(c) of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 to remove tolls from the Turnpike once its construction bonds were paid off.[15]"

Infrastructure on the east coast is like water rights on the west coast.

Full article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_Turnpike

Old 04-20-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Yes, I just looked it up. Turns out it had nothing to do with the tolls, the truck driver fell asleep at the wheel.

"While the 1983 Stratford accident was cited as the main reason for abolishing tolls in Connecticut, the underlying reason was that federal legislation at that time forbade states with toll roads from using federal funds for road projects. Because the Mianus River Bridge was rebuilt with federal highway funds following its June 1983 collapse, Connecticut was required by Section 113(c) of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956 to remove tolls from the Turnpike once its construction bonds were paid off.[15]"

Infrastructure on the east coast is like water rights on the west coast.

Full article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_Turnpike
Interesting, thanks!

Old 04-20-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Interesting, thanks!
Apologies for the redundancies.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
i keep going on facebook and it seems like everyone wants to be exempt from this congestion pricing. first thing i saw was that city employees should be exempt. next its people who live in nyc should be exempt. it seems like a lot of people believe that only nj drivers should be paying this and they also seem like the ones that dont benefit from the money it generates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey