Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 09:14 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,337,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i prefer people not live in such concentrated places. but im not interested in imposing my preferences on others; just oppose them imposing them on me.

we dont subsidize car travel, drivers pay for their expenses. that link you posted was an intentional deception.

the environment is fine. nobody actually believes the climate hysteria. also, poor people are fine. you dont need to subsidize public transportation for them; if you want you can directly subsidize them. then those who arent poor can pay its full cost.
Nobody is forcing you to live in a dense area. But for the past like 7 decades all the US has done is build highway systems. Maybe it's time for some new ideas? Maybe, instead of building more highways and adding lanes, some of that money can be used to fund public transit. I'm not forcing my opinion on you because I'm not saying you need to take only public transit. However, you're forcing your opinion on me by under-funding public transit and making it fall apart. If NJT, PATH, MTA, etc. don't get proper funding for maintenance, they fall apart and the only alternative is driving. If we don't expand public transit lines into suburban areas, you're imposing your view on others living in suburbs who want/need public transit by making it literally impossible for them to use public transit. If you want to share resources, fine. But for the past 7 decades, nearly all transportation funding has been to increase vehicular travel and ignore public transit.

How was it intentional deception?

Poor people are not fine. They can't afford public transit sometimes. How it fair that we created a nation reliant on cars, but then pay people poverty wages so they can't afford the car needed to get to their jobs, and we decrease public transit funding so lines get cut and service suffers and the ones who suffer the most are the poor who may lose their job because of reliability issues and then they really can't afford the car that we as a society have engineered a need for?

Climate change is real. I guess at this point I'm done arguing with someone so stupid who denies scientific facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
^Can't rep you again, jessemh431, but good posts.

Besides that, I think we're pretty much at capacity as far as new roads go in the NY metro area.
Seriously. Where else are you going to build roads in this area now? Demolish the much-needed housing? Destroy more natural green spaces? Build double-decker highways all over? Or are we going to build underground subways for cars like Elon Musk wants instead of building tunnels for trains which can carry more people and be used by the general public regardless of their financial ability to afford a car?

Old 04-25-2019, 09:19 AM

99 posts, read 79,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They're not. It's not the road, it's the bridges/tunnels that are owned, operated, and maintained by the various authorities.

The GWB is a PA bridge, not an MTA bridge. The Tappan Zee is under the NY Thruway Authority.

At some point the road crossing a bridge or going through a tunnel becomes the responsibility of the authority that owns the facility. A legal instrument such as a Memorandum of Understanding between agencies will delineate who is responsible for what.

I-495 is a good example. Work is currently being done on the I-495 approach up to the point of PA jurisdiction at the helix, which is considered part of the Lincoln Tunnel. The PA will do the helix replacement. As a matter of fact, I-495 as part of the Interstate system would be federal responsibility technically, but the work is being done by NJDOT.

Same in other states. Look at the I-35 Bridge. It's an Interstate Highway, but Minnesota DOT operates and maintains the bridge.

The same thing happened when they built the new Goethals. The PA had to tie in the new approaches to the Turnpike, and so they entered into an MOU with the Turnpike Authority to outline who was responsible for what.

I am not sure why the MTA has jurisdiction over the seven bridges they have rather than NYC or NYS DOT. There is likely some political history there. Why the PA has jurisdiction over their bridges and tunnels is well-known and obvious because it's a bi-state agency formed to deal with that issue of two states sharing a harbor originally/transportation facilities eventually.
Anything they can come up with to raise fees, etc. Regulatory "agencies" etc. Are you a fan of increased costs? You're in the right place.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Nobody is forcing you to live in a dense area. But for the past like 7 decades all the US has done is build highway systems. Maybe it's time for some new ideas? Maybe, instead of building more highways and adding lanes, some of that money can be used to fund public transit. I'm not forcing my opinion on you because I'm not saying you need to take only public transit. However, you're forcing your opinion on me by under-funding public transit and making it fall apart. If NJT, PATH, MTA, etc. don't get proper funding for maintenance, they fall apart and the only alternative is driving. If we don't expand public transit lines into suburban areas, you're imposing your view on others living in suburbs who want/need public transit by making it literally impossible for them to use public transit. If you want to share resources, fine. But for the past 7 decades, nearly all transportation funding has been to increase vehicular travel and ignore public transit.

How was it intentional deception?

Poor people are not fine. They can't afford public transit sometimes. How it fair that we created a nation reliant on cars, but then pay people poverty wages so they can't afford the car needed to get to their jobs, and we decrease public transit funding so lines get cut and service suffers and the ones who suffer the most are the poor who may lose their job because of reliability issues and then they really can't afford the car that we as a society have engineered a need for?

Climate change is real. I guess at this point I'm done arguing with someone so stupid who denies scientific facts.
they dont force me to live in a dense area, they force me to pay for the transportation of people who do live in a dense area. why do we need ideas? what is wrong with highways? everything seems to be perfectly fine with auto transport. it seems like its the mass transit that has a lot of problems.

it was intentional deception because they take money from drivers and dont spend it on roads it doesnt show that drivers are paying for their roads. so lets say i pay a toll on a bridge and that money goes towards building the world trade center. i paid for driving but dont get credit for paying for the road because that money went elsewhere. i could be wrong but that is how it appears and that would make that graphic very deceptive.

there are plenty of public assistance programs for the poor. if necessary, this would just be a part of that. then people who can afford it will pay the full cost. you realize that poor people dont just live in places with mass transit right? this is no different. the poor people will be fine.

look at you, an insult. that is childish, i didnt insult you. that climate changes is a fact, the impact of human emissions isnt a fact. it isnt known how much humans impact it and it isnt known what is needed or not needed to address it. the popular number thrown out is 12 years or we wont be able to stop it. do you believe that? what are they going to say in 12 years? are you acting in a manner that prepares you for this 12 year disaster date? most people believe deep down that humans can adjust for any climate changes that may or may not be coming.

its funny, global cooling was a fact. then it became global warming and that was a fact. then it became climate change because the earth wasnt warming. the "facts" seems to change when its convenient for them to change. climate change is an industry like anything else, it spends money to protect itself and it makes money for money people.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:55 AM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lollydoodoo View Post
Anything they can come up with to raise fees, etc. Regulatory "agencies" etc. Are you a fan of increased costs? You're in the right place.
Not sure how this was a logical response to my post. It was informational. There was nothing to indicate that I am a "fan of increased costs".

Old 04-25-2019, 02:42 PM

19,118 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
PR was in shambles long before the storms hit. Fema is there to help recover from natural disasters, not rebuild nations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
It may have been, but PUERTO RICO IS NOT A NATION!!!! Omg you're actually that stupid?? PR is a US Territory. They are basically the modern day version of taxation without representation, along with other territories and DC. I guarantee if a US state was destroyed the way PR was, we would be putting much more into rebuilding it...AS THEY ARE AMERICAN CITIZENS!
Yes, that person would clearly have a hard time passing an 8th grade Civics exam, but this is not the first time that he has displayed this type of deficiency. After Menendez cruised to his re-election victory in November with a 10% margin over his GOP challenger, this person informed us that Menendez had only been able to win because "Dems Gerrymandered his district".

In response, I politely asked him if he understood that US Senators are elected on a statewide basis, and as a result, the "district" for a US Senator is an entire state. I asked him to explain how an entire state could be "Gerrymandered", and despite my entirely reasonable and politely-expressed question, I never received a response despite the passage of over 5 months.

So, don't be too surprised if you don't get any response to your questioning of his knowledge of 8th grade Civics.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Yes, that person would clearly have a hard time passing an 8th grade Civics exam, but this is not the first time that he has displayed this type of deficiency. After Menendez cruised to his re-election victory in November with a 10% margin over his GOP challenger, this person informed us that Menendez had only been able to win because "Dems Gerrymandered his district".

In response, I politely asked him if he understood that US Senators are elected on a statewide basis, and as a result, the "district" for a US Senator is an entire state. I asked him to explain how an entire state could be "Gerrymandered", and despite my entirely reasonable and politely-expressed question, I never received a response despite the passage of over 5 months.

So, don't be too surprised if you don't get any response to your questioning of his knowledge of 8th grade Civics.
Honestly I'm not going to respond to someone who doesn't know PR is not a separate nation and who believes climate change is a hoax (started by the Chinese to destroy the US economy). Not worth my time or effort because clearly you can't have an actual debate with someone who denies facts (PR, gerrymandering) and thinks he knows more about science than actual scientists.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:10 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,777 times
Quote:
they dont force me to live in a dense area, they force me to pay for the transportation of people who do live in a dense area. why do we need ideas? what is wrong with highways?

These are the problems with highways:

1) They are traffic choked during rush hour and are unable to handle the volume of cars that want to use them
2) Highways and driving are extremely dangerous. Roughly 500 people die on the roads of NJ every year. Many more are injured. 40,000 people are killed on the US roads every year.
3) According to world wide scientific consensus, gas cars emit too many harmful emissions that cause global warning.
4) Highways are less efficient than mass transit in moving large number of people.
5) Driving is harmful to people's health and contributes to the obesity epidemic since drivers tend to move less than mass transit users.
5) Roads are expensive and are subsidized by state/federal taxes, just like mass transit.

Quote:
everything seems to be perfectly fine with auto transport. it seems like its the mass transit that has a lot of problems.
NJ and America are spending billions to keep the roads in good repair, to upgrade and replace them as needed. Pulaski highway closing was a good example.

The maintenance of mass transit is criminally behind schedule due to a combination of incompetence and lack of funds. That is why there are problems.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
These are the problems with highways:

1) They are traffic choked during rush hour and are unable to handle the volume of cars that want to use them
2) Highways and driving are extremely dangerous. Roughly 500 people die on the roads of NJ every year. Many more are injured. 40,000 people are killed on the US roads every year.
3) According to world wide scientific consensus, gas cars emit too many harmful emissions that cause global warning.
4) Highways are less efficient than mass transit in moving large number of people.
5) Driving is harmful to people's health and contributes to the obesity epidemic since drivers tend to move less than mass transit users.
5) Roads are expensive and are subsidized by state/federal taxes, just like mass transit.

NJ and America are spending billions to keep the roads in good repair, to upgrade and replace them as needed. Pulaski highway closing was a good example.

The maintenance of mass transit is criminally behind schedule due to a combination of incompetence and lack of funds. That is why there are problems.
I think an indifference as well. Politicians don't often take public transit. And politicians representing suburban districts that don't use public transit are definitely the majority in NJ. The only representatives pushing for transit would be from Hudson County, parts of Essex like Newark and East Orange, Elizabeth, Paterson, Passaic, Hackensack, Trenton and Camden. Most other reps are representing suburbanites who are often very wealthy and prioritize vehicle travel over public transit. The funds are there since we can so readily fix highways and add lanes. We're just not using the funding appropriately due to a lack of political need for it.

Old 04-25-2019, 03:21 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,777 times
Quote:
that is an interesting thing to say. clearly, im not an expert in that field and it wouldnt make sense for me to get involved but i bet there are plenty of people and with private business skills in that arena that would be happy to take a crack at it. of course, the government isnt about to give up its power over something.

I am just very curious about which "private business skills" are helpful in running mass transit? For example, laying off US based workers and moving the business to cheap overseas location does not seem to be very helpful. After all, you can't outsource mass transit. Lowering everyone's salary and making executives obscenely rich might not be very useful as well because of unions and public scrutiny. Bribing Government officials to look away while those people with "private business skills" do nothing might work but this will not improve anything.

Running mass transit agencies requires real expertise in the actual transportation and in managing employees located in America. Chatting on video conference calls is not very helpful.

Quote:
yes, public transit costs a lot of money and requires a great deal of infrastructure. but it should cost less on a per person basis than individuals traveling in their own cars. if it doesnt, then we may as well do everything we can do expand car travel infrastructure. what would be the point of expanding public transit if it isnt cheaper?
Public transit costs less than driving if you take into account the cost of the cars, gas and tolls, insurance and parking to wherever you are driving. The cost of harmful emissions should really be part of the cost of driving.

Public transit is also a lot safer than driving. Roughly 500 people in NJ die on the roads every year. The last fatal accident on NJT was in 2016 with unfortunately 1 person killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey