Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 03:27 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklatraveler View Post
Thanks so much for all of your advice and suggestions. I really appreciate your time and info. I will definitely look into the hotels suggested.

The only reason I mentioned LGA was I thought since we were exploring NY that may be better but apparently not. On our return..we will be flying out of LGA because our airlines (SW) doesn't have a late enough flight to home from EWR so that was our only choice. We did the same thing last time..returned from LGA. We hired caremlimo service for that. Worked great! Little easier when your sharing the expense.

Not sure about the airbnb though since it is only 1 night. Not sure if they even rent them for 1 night. But I will look.

Thanks again and have a blessed day!
Generally you can stay at an airbnb for one night, but with the cleaning fees they charge, it may not be worth it if you're not staying multiple nights. Check into it, though, in case there's a good deal out there.

If you stay in Jersey City, all of the hotels in zip codes 07302 and 07310 are in walking distance to a PATH station, for easy access to NYC. There are some cheaper motels on Route 1/9, but you'd have to have a high tolerance for skeez and uber/lyft to PATH or other transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 03:52 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for all of your advice and suggestions. I really appreciate your time and info. I will definitely look into the hotels suggested.

The only reason I mentioned LGA was I thought since we were exploring NY that may be better but apparently not. On our return..we will be flying out of LGA because our airlines (SW) doesn't have a late enough flight to home from EWR so that was our only choice. We did the same thing last time..returned from LGA. We hired caremlimo service for that. Worked great! Little easier when your sharing the expense.

Not sure about the airbnb though since it is only 1 night. Not sure if they even rent them for 1 night. But I will look.

Thanks again and have a blessed day!
No, as a matter of fact, I have to go very near LGA tomorrow, and it's not easy by public transportation. As someone pointed out, there's a major renovation of the terminals going on. Eventually there will be an airtrain from the airport connecting to other NY rail service, but that's a few years off.

If you do have to go to LGA, use Uber/Lyft for traveling from the city (meaning Manhattan). The LGA developer has a floor set up for them in the new adjacent parking garage.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:02 PM

13 posts, read 20,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Generally you can stay at an airbnb for one night, but with the cleaning fees they charge, it may not be worth it if you're not staying multiple nights. Check into it, though, in case there's a good deal out there.

If you stay in Jersey City, all of the hotels in zip codes 07302 and 07310 are in walking distance to a PATH station, for easy access to NYC. There are some cheaper motels on Route 1/9, but you'd have to have a high tolerance for skeez and uber/lyft to PATH or other transit.
Ok so I booked the Candlewood Suites. It was the cheapest of the 3. Actually one was sold out.

So by staying here I can take the PATH around NYC but I will still need transportation..like Uber or car service to/from EWR/port is that correct? Thank you!!

Old 04-02-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Ok so I booked the Candlewood Suites. It was the cheapest of the 3. Actually one was sold out.

So by staying here I can take the PATH around NYC but I will still need transportation..like Uber or car service to/from EWR/port is that correct? Thank you!!
No. You can't take PATH "around NYC". PATH is a rapid rail transit system that moves you between New York and New Jersey. Once you're in the city, you can take the NYC subway.

Not sure where your Candlewood Suites is. Jersey City? Newark? You can take the NJ Transit train to and from Newark Airport and connect with PATH if your hotel is near one of those train stations.

Here's what's confusing you. Geography, and varying transit systems. Manhattan, as I'm sure you're aware, is an island in the state of New York, and directly east of it is New Jersey.

NJ has a train and bus system called NJ Transit. Those trains take you into either Penn Station, New York, or Hoboken, NJ.

New York City has a transit authority called the MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority). That runs transit IN the City of New York, including the subway and bus system.

The Port Authority of NY and NJ is a bistate agency formed to deal with ports and transportation that connect/affect the two states within 25 miles of the Statue of Liberty. So, for example, they run the seaports, the tunnels and bridges that connect the two states, all of the airports, especially LGA, JFK, and EWR, and they run the Port Authority Trans-Hudson rail system, known as PATH.

To make things more complicated, if you are staying in the Candlewood Suites in Harborside, Jersey City, you will also see a light rail system running through the streets. That's run by NJ Transit.

Conceivably, then, you could get off your plane at EWR, get on the airport's internal AirTrain (run by the Port Authority), which will connect you to the NJ Transit Newark Airport train station, where you catch a train to Newark Penn Station, at which point you can transfer to the PATH's Newark to WTC line, get off at Exchange Place, and catch the Light Rail to your Harborside hotel.

Or you could use car service from Newark Airport. Or split it up and take the trains to Newark Penn and get a car from there...

But when you actually go into the city, sans luggage of course, you will take PATH to Manhattan, and then mostly walk, but you can use the subway system to get around, too.

There will be no quiz, don't worry.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:25 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Quote:

Cool, that’s a fine location. A few blocks’ walk to PATH.

You *can* take public transportation there from EWR, but it’s a bit clumsy. You’d have to take a monorail from your arrival terminal to the EWR train station, a NJT train from there to Newark Penn Station, and then pick up PATH there. Doable, but with the transfers and midday arrival, Uber is going to be faster. Same for the cruise port. There’s a light rail stop close to your hotel, and that goes pretty close to the cruise terminal, but farther than you’d want to walk with lots of luggage for sure.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No. You can't take PATH "around NYC". PATH is a rapid rail transit system that moves you between New York and New Jersey. Once you're in the city, you can take the NYC subway.

Not sure where your Candlewood Suites is. Jersey City? Newark? You can take the NJ Transit train to and from Newark Airport and connect with PATH if your hotel is near one of those train stations.

Here's what's confusing you. Geography, and varying transit systems. Manhattan, as I'm sure you're aware, is an island in the state of New York, and directly east of it is New Jersey.

NJ has a train and bus system called NJ Transit. Those trains take you into either Penn Station, New York, or Hoboken, NJ.

New York City has a transit authority called the MTA (Metropolitan Transit Authority). That runs transit IN the City of New York, including the subway and bus system.

The Port Authority of NY and NJ is a bistate agency formed to deal with ports and transportation that connect/affect the two states within 25 miles of the Statue of Liberty. So, for example, they run the seaports, the tunnels and bridges that connect the two states, all of the airports, especially LGA, JFK, and EWR, and they run the Port Authority Trans-Hudson rail system, known as PATH.

To make things more complicated, if you are staying in the Candlewood Suites in Harborside, Jersey City, you will also see a light rail system running through the streets. That's run by NJ Transit.

Conceivably, then, you could get off your plane at EWR, get on the airport's internal AirTrain (run by the Port Authority), which will connect you to the NJ Transit Newark Airport train station, where you catch a train to Newark Penn Station, at which point you can transfer to the PATH's Newark to WTC line, get off at Exchange Place, and catch the Light Rail to your Harborside hotel.

Or you could use car service from Newark Airport. Or split it up and take the trains to Newark Penn and get a car from there...

But when you actually go into the city, sans luggage of course, you will take PATH to Manhattan, and then mostly walk, but you can use the subway system to get around, too.

There will be no quiz, don't worry.
Now that is helpful info!! THANK YOU!! Yes it is the Candlewood in Jersey City. Wish we could take the train from EWR but we'll have about 2 pieces of luggage each. (4 adults..maybe 6)

I was just trying to get an estimate on ALL the transportation cost!! Not cheap!

Im just trying to figure out which would be cheaper..staying in Elizabeth, NJ (which is where we stayed last time) or somewhere else..Jersey City since we're going into NYC for the day after we get our luggage dropped off at hotel.

This is like a 1000 piece puzzle to me!! So seriously thank you for your time and info.

Thank goodness there's no quiz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-03-2019, 04:50 AM

^Jersey City where you will be is a better spot than Elizabeth. A nice advantage of that area is that you can go to the river and see the NYC skyline in all its glory, especially at night.

Also, right across from the Exchange Place PATH station is a deli with a pay-by-the-ounce hot and cold food bar open for breakfast and lunch (they close by 3), as well as other options, with seatings upstairs so you can get food and eat it there. I wouldn't call it cheap, but it is more economical than eating in a sit down restaurant with table service. You can get stuff to go, too.

Also on weekdays there are a lot of food trucks in the area. (I worked in the neighborhood for three years.) Dont be afraid to eat from the Middle Eastern halal trucks. The chicken and rice is especially good. On a nice day you can get some and sit by the waterfront and eat looking at the skyline.

Old 04-03-2019, 08:07 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,336,173 times
Quote:
Now that is helpful info!! THANK YOU!! Yes it is the Candlewood in Jersey City. Wish we could take the train from EWR but we'll have about 2 pieces of luggage each. (4 adults..maybe 6)

I was just trying to get an estimate on ALL the transportation cost!! Not cheap!

Im just trying to figure out which would be cheaper..staying in Elizabeth, NJ (which is where we stayed last time) or somewhere else..Jersey City since we're going into NYC for the day after we get our luggage dropped off at hotel.

This is like a 1000 piece puzzle to me!! So seriously thank you for your time and info.

Thank goodness there's no quiz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I definitely recommend a Lyft/Uber from EWR to the hotel in Jersey City. And I definitely recommend Jersey City over Elizabeth. It's much safer and you can walk to stuff right from your hotel. You can't do that in Elizabeth. Jersey City is just an urban extension of Manhattan basically. You'll be much closer to Manhattan (literally right across the Hudson River) than in Elizabeth. And with PATH, you can be into Manhattan in like 10 minutes via the red Newark-World Trade Center line, or about 20 via the Journal Square-33rd Street line. The WTC line will stop at Exchange Place and take you right into the Oculus of the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan. The 33rd line will take you from Newport into Manhattan a bit further up stopping at Christopher St (West Village), 9th St (Greenwich Village), 14th St (Union Square), 23rd St (Chelsea), and 33rd St (Midtown across from the Empire State Building and Macy's and Penn Station). Once in Manhattan, you can go anywhere else via the MTA subway, but the fares don't transfer. So if you paid for PATH, you will have to pay separately for MTA, but they use the same yellow MTA payment cards that you can load money onto.

If you're tired and all and wanna go back to your hotel, Jersey City will provide the way better options. It has a lot of cafes, bars, and restaurants right in the city and it's very safe where your hotel is, unlike Elizabeth.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:27 PM

Thumbs up Thank you!!

All of you who have offered suggestions and advice.."THANK YOU." It is very helpful! I will probably print out this info and take with me!!

Old 04-07-2019, 02:13 PM

Question Change of plans

So we have made a change to our plans after all that!!

We are not going to go into NY. We just felt for the money spend for just a few hours there it wasn't worth. So we will just take a trip to NY sometime.

Double checking on the Springhill Suites Newark airport location. Yay or nay?? As far as safe area etc? It's between that or Courtyard by Marriott in Elizabeth. At least there is a mall there and we stayed in Elizabeth last time. I know it's nothing special but again we'll just be hanging out for a few hours then sleep then get up and go to cruise port early the next morning.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey