Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 04:43 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey421 View Post
Have you considered a bus instead of a train? There are numerous places to park your car and take a bus into the city in Hanover Township, Florham Park, Parsippany. The commute to Sparta is reasonable from these areas.
I think the OP has a bladder control issues...lol just kiddin op : ) The bus actually looks quicker than the train??? Martz Trailways - From Panther Valley, New Jersey (http://www.martztrailways.com/from-panther-valley.asp - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:50 AM

12 posts, read 26,665 times
You might want to look at South Orange and Maplewood. Great communities, direct train to Manhattan takes about 30 minutes and it's an easy drive to sparta via ROute 280/80. And your price range is doable. I am a realtor. Feel free to ask questions.

Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times
I'm not familar enough with Sparta to know what would be a good commute, but I will say that you have to stick close to NYC if you want a place that will be a tolerable commute for both of you.

For example, people here have suggested Maplewood/South Orange. Both are very nice towns, about 30 minutes on an express train to NYC (a bit longer for non-express). But even at that, your door-to-door commute is going to be about an hour, when you factor in time to get to the train station in Maplewood and time to get to your office from Midtown. It's pretty much that way everywhere in NJ; if you want to keep your commute to NYC to about an hour, you'll need to look for places that you get get to Manhattan on the train in about 30-40 minutes.

An hour commute is tolerable (sad that it's come to that!), but anything above 1.5 hours each way will wear you down really quickly. Especially if you ever work late - it's even worse when you're ready to leave work at 8pm but you have to stick around another 30 minutes because of the train schedule.

Just some words of advice from a longtime NYC area commuter. Good luck!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:11 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Well, I divided that up trying to get up to Sparta, and then the opposite direction to NYC..........So...........
I think you should look into Denville. Take the train out of the Denville station. The most an hour and half to the city..........It could be one hour, if I remember correctly.
Then she would drive 80 to 15 into Sparta.
There are back routes from 15 into Dover, and into Indian lake,and other parts of Denville.
Denville still has some nice areas. I like personally Lake Arrowhead..........What a peaceful place to come home too.
Another nice section is in Union Hill off of route 10........
You wife would have the 45 min. or less ride to Sparta.......and you'll be in a good timeframe too.
Denville is a nice small town, with good schools. So I think for your situation.....that is a good choice. ( train stain off of 53 by Estling Lake )

Old 04-13-2008, 10:23 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Here are a few Denville homes that might work for you.........They are in the price range you mentioned.......look up.....5bd/2bath.......#2486810 with lake advantages
3/2 bath...... # 2495232 beautiful grounds......
There is also another nice home that is 4 bedroom 2 1/2 baths that looks good too......
I know the bus from Denville picks up ( or did, so hopfully it still does?) by the entrance to Lk Arrowhead and it was one hour in by bus.
This being kind of your midway point, have you checked the area as of yet?
Best of Luck..........( former Denville resident for many years)

Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 AM

17 posts, read 63,036 times
Denville was considered but the schools were poor. Same thing as Morristown, Morris Plains, and Convent (their schools are awful). The train ride is 1:15 so I wonder if I will burn out. I usually get out of work at 5:00. Thank you for all your replies. I prefer not the bus because of traffic in the summer and no bathrooms.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:28 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times
You know, it all depends on the time of day you leave home, but sussex county can be doable. I travel from Newton to East Rutherford everyday and my commute on normal traffic (that means no accidents, no traffic jams) is an hour and I'm speaking from door to door. Lincoln Tunnel is just another 10 minutes away. However I do make my own hours, so if You don't have a flexible schedule and your job is a 9 - 5 type, you're going to be spending a lot more time on the road. I would recommend Fairfield which is right next to Wayne or Parsippany.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:11 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
Morris Plains is perfect for both, has a train system and she can drive 80 to 15 and that direction is clear on 80 west , they all are going east. I just noticed you said Morris Plains has a bad school system, I dont think so. OK how about Whippany, Cedar Knolls, Hanover twshp, or east hanover.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:31 AM

17 posts, read 63,036 times
We considered Morris Plains but the prices are just as ridiculous as Madison and Chatham for some reason. Is there a reason why?

I know they have a strong elementary school but once you get to the Middle and High School, they were found to be way below average because it is shared with Morristown. Is my data correct?

Thanks again.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,935,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahomefinder View Post
You might want to look at South Orange and Maplewood. Great communities, direct train to Manhattan takes about 30 minutes and it's an easy drive to sparta via ROute 280/80. And your price range is doable. I am a realtor. Feel free to ask questions.
Easy drive to Sparta from S. Orange/Maplewood??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey