Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 09:22 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Why can't you get a job here?
Well, he has mentioned in at least two different threads that he likes to wear makeup.
Could it be that he is wearing too much makeup to his job interviews?

Just sayin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 09:33 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
The American stereotype is that once a kid turns 18, they either get a job with no degree and move out OR they go to college live at home and expect to get a job at 22 and move out.

Based on Reddit posts and even on here, it seems like most young people in NJ live at home beyond 22-23. They move out at 24, 25, and most seem like they move out at 30. They want to live in NJ, but they are super in love with their parents that they don't mind living with them. And it seems like most NJ parents don't charge them rent to live with them like most White American parents do.

I am an oddcast and super different than any young New Jerseyan. I really don't want to live with my parents and no desire to live in NJ after college and I have a lot saved up (20K, which is a lot for my age). I just want to graduate college at 22 and move out if I have a job lined up.

The media regarding NJ's young people moving out late is frustrating the hell out of me.

"I moved out at 22, BUT CAME BACK a year later, because NJ is too expensive!"

"I am 26 and still live with my parents, but I don't mind my parents and would love my own space eventually. My parents don't charge me rent."

"I moved at TheProperAge and MOVED BACK BLAH BLAH!!"

Well in order for me to stop ranting about this, I seriously need to consider moving West, somewhere cheaper, and somewhere where there are EFFING JOBS IN MY EFFING FIELD!!
It's just my opinion, but I believe it to be really good advice.

As a young adult (ages 18-30ish), the more you focus on the now and keeping up with the Joneses, the more you negatively impact your life in the future and your ability to truly be happy.

You're not even 22, and you're worried about finding a job in your field, moving out of your folk's place for good and how to afford an apartment on your own. You're talking about moving states because you can't afford this state. You haven't gotten your FIRST job yet!

What you SHOULD be focusing on right now is finding something that you enjoy doing, maybe spend the next 5-10 years doing that, and then the next 10-20 years after that cultivating it into something that you can make some $ off of.

Your youth should be used as an advantage to buffer your failures and set yourself up for happiness later in life, not as a competition to see who can get the highest paying job, and nicest apartment at age 29.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:46 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
have you tried the yoga?

Old 04-07-2019, 06:41 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
What's your EFFING FIELD? If it's fashion design you're probably close to the right place. If it's agriculture you might want to look west.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:01 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
What's your major? Why can't you get a job here?
IT major

Old 04-07-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
have you tried the yoga?
What is "the yoga"?

Old 04-07-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
What's your EFFING FIELD? If it's fashion design you're probably close to the right place. If it's agriculture you might want to look west.
I wear makeup as a guy and there is nothing wrong with it. It's not feminine makeup. I wear "natural look" makeup. Fashion design is great in this area, but I am an IT major actually.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:42 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
I wear makeup as a guy and there is nothing wrong with it. It's not feminine makeup. I wear "natural look" makeup. Fashion design is great in this area, but I am an IT major actually.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:44 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Could it be that he is wearing too much makeup to his job interviews?
Quote:
I wear makeup as a guy and there is nothing wrong with it. It's not feminine makeup. I wear "natural look" makeup.
Just as with "beauty", "natural look" is in the eye of the beholder. You may think that it isn't feminine-looking, and/or that it is undetectable, but... What if your perception is wrong? Yes, it would be discriminatory for an employer to refuse to hire you if you wear makeup, but we all know that employers can come up with some alternate, "legal" reasons for refusing to hire people.

What if that makeup isn't as "natural" looking as you think it is, and that it is standing in the way of your employment?

Old 04-08-2019, 07:04 AM

565 posts, read 722,044 times
Americans are obsessed with the idea of moving out and being independent, whereas in Asian cultures (well, not just Asian--a lot of expensive areas in Europe, too) it's perfectly normal for adults to live with their parents for much longer. Sometimes even after marriage in multi-generational households. And while that can come with family-dynamic issues, it does allow the younger generation to start accumulating wealth, which is necessary because mortgages and easy-to-obtain credit are not a thing in a lot of countries. Anyway, don't knock other people's choices. Different paths work for different people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: