Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 02:15 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
You can catch a jitney bus at pretty much anytime that goes from PABT to Bergenline or Blvd East for $3. You'll probably do a lot less walking after you get off the bus also, because there's a lot more bus stops than there are PATH stations (unless of course you live very close to a PATH station).
Oh they run 24/7? Because I live right by the JSQ station, and I like UC if I ever get priced out of here, but getting home late at night from Manhattan always has seemed so daunting. Most of my friends live in the city, so I wouldn't want to be separated from them too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 08:04 PM

4,028 posts, read 3,636,180 times
They run 24 hrs on the weekends for sure. Not sure if that’s the case on weeknights as well.

Old 04-10-2019, 05:16 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,171 times
The buses run all night but the frequency drops off in the wee hours of the morning.

Old 04-10-2019, 07:56 AM

173 posts, read 216,300 times
Not sure how many people here posting about the bus service in UC have actually taken those buses. I did for a couple years, and it was not at all pleasant during rush hour, inbound or outbound. Bus from fair lawn was far more comfortable and slightly more reliable in terms of transit time (though of course the average transit time was something like 15 minutes higher for fair lawn).

I now take path every weekday and it is vastly superior to UC bus service.

Old 04-10-2019, 08:06 AM

50 posts, read 49,321 times
Union City isn't more convenient than Jersey City

That's just asinine blasphemy

I don't need to live in the area to know that - - my friend, Paraleeka the 16th, lives in JC and I've visited him 11 times

Old 04-10-2019, 08:26 AM

650 posts, read 775,125 times
Only 10 min to cross Lincoln tunnel ; it is about the spend —- what comfort you need ? Path trains are more crowded.

If stand to wait for bus , you will 3-5 buses you can get on each 5 min to take you to Manhattan.

Palisade and 30th st

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxProf View Post
Not sure how many people here posting about the bus service in UC have actually taken those buses. I did for a couple years, and it was not at all pleasant during rush hour, inbound or outbound. Bus from fair lawn was far more comfortable and slightly more reliable in terms of transit time (though of course the average transit time was something like 15 minutes higher for fair lawn).

I now take path every weekday and it is vastly superior to UC bus service.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:50 AM

362 posts, read 497,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I'd rather pay the more expensive prices of JC for 24/7 PATH service into Manhattan. If you're just commuting M-F for a 9-5 job in Manhattan, UC (and others like WNY) are fine on the buses into PABT. But getting home after a night out in the city is either impossible or very expensive without PATH...right?
I live in Union City, near the JC Heights border. As far as going out in Manhattan and getting home - it depends what time I leave Manhattan, especially on the weekends. I can get a bus as late as 1 or 2am from Port Authority, and it will take me into UC. After that, what I've done sometimes was take the PATH to Grove Street, then go to a certain address nearby and catch an Uber from there...cost me no more than $10.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:03 AM

173 posts, read 216,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
Only 10 min to cross Lincoln tunnel ; it is about the spend —- what comfort you need ? Path trains are more crowded.

If stand to wait for bus , you will 3-5 buses you can get on each 5 min to take you to Manhattan.

Palisade and 30th st
I lived by the Weehawken Reservoir in Union City. When I was commuting in at 9 am or coming back at 7/8 pm during the weekdays, it was almost never a 10 minute exercise. Bus rarely picked me up on schedule and trip typically took 30 minutes, stopping at every corner and getting stuck in the local Lincoln tunnel lanes quite regularly. Got a seat about 50% of the time.

I now take Path from Harrison to WTC at approximately the same times. Travel times are more predictable -- almost always 20 minutes -- and I get a seat about 70% of the time, though that's less important given the predictability. Also don't have to deal with PABT, which is a really horrible place to spend time. Much prefer waiting for trains at WTC.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:31 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Isn't Union City walkable to Hoboken? Using Google Maps there's a stairway that runs down from Palisades between 6th and 7th to the 14th Street viaduct, which takes you into the northern part of Hoboken. Looks like it's 1-2 miles from most parts of Union City to most parts of Hoboken. I currently live in Pittsburgh and walk 2 miles each way to and from work, so I would personally be willing to live in Union City and walk to Hoboken for shopping/dining.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:50 PM

650 posts, read 775,125 times
2 ferry stops to walk to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey