Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 10:42 AM

7 posts, read 4,768 times

Advertisements

I've been renting my apartment for 9 years this year. I get along with the landlord, I have been here nine years this year and when she rented it to me she rented it to me with an attic that no one else cam get to, it's connected to my apartment only and also a basement with a washer and dryer hookup which I have never hooked up a washing machine and dryer because in this town you have to pay for water and it's pretty expensive...Believe It or Not its cheaper to go to the laundromat but still in all she gives everyone a key it tells everyone that when she rents to a new person and also has use of the backyard along with the basement.. Someone moved into the building and started storing their friends stuff downstairs, and their friends abandoned car in the back and has snow blowers all over and carts from the ShopRite that I usually take and nove them away fron building. Now on my lease she has that I can have two cats and a dog which I have. I clean up after my dog I also clean up around the building because it don't like it looking horrible and I also sweep and mop the hall way from time to time.. I'm the only one that does it. So she stopped over the other day and she realized that somebody had all the shopping carts, the abandoned vehicle in the back, the snowblowers and storing other people's stuff in the basement and she got a little upset. I have an outside cat who was abandoned, I felt bad because the people up the Street abandoned him. I got him nuetered, his shots, flea n tick, all that stuff and I let him go in the basement during the day and I let him out at night he has a litter box down there but he doesn't use it cuz he likes going out and she said that she was greeted by a cat and she doesn't want the cat to be in the basement and I believe it's because of the person bringing all that junk around so she turned around and she said well what happens if I change the key and take the basement away from everybody wud everybody like that....now I don't think she can do that because she rented all the apartment giving everyone a key letting them know they have use of the basement and they could use it for a washing machine and dryer and to store their stuff. She also told me I can gave 2 cats wether indoor or out, so does it matter if one is outside n sleeps in the basement. My lease has the animals on it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 11:33 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,861,975 times
I think I missed the question in all the ellipses...

Old 04-16-2019, 08:55 AM

32,907 posts, read 36,292,732 times
Her building, her rules.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:44 AM

Her building maybe her rules. Lease saysI canbyse the basement and my animals are onnthe lease... so her building, but the lease rules.... change the lease or tell me to go. Which that will be a problem....what are the grounds. 9 yrs, never a problem... but she is ok with the cat in basement because as I stayed to her that he keeps the mice away, no more paying an exterminator.... her or his building their ruls.....ha...then dont make a contractual agreement like a lease and think u can change the rules...

Old 05-05-2019, 08:10 PM

32,907 posts, read 36,292,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank129 View Post
Her building maybe her rules. Lease saysI canbyse the basement and my animals are onnthe lease... so her building, but the lease rules.... change the lease or tell me to go. Which that will be a problem....what are the grounds. 9 yrs, never a problem... but she is ok with the cat in basement because as I stayed to her that he keeps the mice away, no more paying an exterminator.... her or his building their ruls.....ha...then dont make a contractual agreement like a lease and think u can change the rules...
She's allowing you to use the basement. Is that in the lease? If it's not, she can take that privilege away.

When you rent an apartment and are allowed to keep a pet, that means in your apartment. She doesn't have to tolerate animals in a common area.

You take very good care of the cat, but she still owns the property. Perhaps you can gently remind her that you're to one who mops the hall and tidies up because it's your home. Maybe she'll change the lock and give a copy to only you.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
She's allowing you to use the basement. Is that in the lease? If it's not, she can take that privilege away.

When you rent an apartment and are allowed to keep a pet, that means in your apartment. She doesn't have to tolerate animals in a common area.

You take very good care of the cat, but she still owns the property. Perhaps you can gently remind her that you're to one who mops the hall and tidies up because it's your home. Maybe she'll change the lock and give a copy to only you.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply...its all good now. She is an animal lover as well. I guess she was afraid of animal hoarding...sometimes when you allow a person to save an animal, they dont know how to not save everyone of them u see. She sees that now. When I moved in I had 2 birds 3 cats and a dog...all have passed except 1 house cat and the outside cat. NO MORE..too heart wrenching for me. All good now...I still clean the hall and even clean her home and watch her animals when she goes out of town. I guess I was a little emotional at the time. Ive been here since 2010. I must say I am a great tenant..
And when u been in an apt for 10 yrs and no problems, its a good thing.

Thanks so much again. Stay safe and be well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey