Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 10:46 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,495,103 times

Advertisements

The American stereotype is that once a kid turns 18, they either get a job with no degree and move out OR they go to college live at home and expect to get a job at 22 and move out.

Based on Reddit posts and even on here, it seems like most young people in NJ live at home beyond 22-23. They move out at 24, 25, and most seem like they move out at 30. They want to live in NJ, but they are super in love with their parents that they don't mind living with them. And it seems like most NJ parents don't charge them rent to live with them like most White American parents do.

I am an oddcast and super different than any young New Jerseyan. I really don't want to live with my parents and no desire to live in NJ after college and I have a lot saved up (20K, which is a lot for my age). I just want to graduate college at 22 and move out if I have a job lined up.

The media regarding NJ's young people moving out late is frustrating the hell out of me.

"I moved out at 22, BUT CAME BACK a year later, because NJ is too expensive!"

"I am 26 and still live with my parents, but I don't mind my parents and would love my own space eventually. My parents don't charge me rent."

"I moved at TheProperAge and MOVED BACK BLAH BLAH!!"

Well in order for me to stop ranting about this, I seriously need to consider moving West, somewhere cheaper, and somewhere where there are EFFING JOBS IN MY EFFING FIELD!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 12:28 AM

12,169 posts, read 8,026,863 times
So what exactly are you ranting about?

Old 04-07-2019, 12:29 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,495,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I'm ranting about my frustration of how many young people in NJ have to move out at ages older than 22 or 23. 24 and above is old in my opinion. 22 and 23 means you were recently out of college and looking for jobs.

Old 04-07-2019, 05:10 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,160 times
This is not just an NJ thing - This is the case in almost every expensive region.

I used to live on Long Island and the rents there make NJ's look like a bargain. At least NJ actually has some cheap areas where you can get around paying sky-high rents. On LI, you're just screwed...period.

You either have two options: Move or Deal with it. Simple as that.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:31 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,256,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
This is not just an NJ thing - This is the case in almost every expensive region.

I used to live on Long Island and the rents there make NJ's look like a bargain. At least NJ actually has some cheap areas where you can get around paying sky-high rents. On LI, you're just screwed...period.

You either have two options: Move or Deal with it. Simple as that.
OP , if you are coming to this forum to get a perspective outside your small circle then I can tell you that almost every recent college grad I know moved in with roommates to make rent affordable. Very very few stayed at home more than 6 month. Those 6 months were used to find a job and save for the security deposit and a little cushion and maybe decide if they want to go back to graduate school. The only ones that got their own apartments at 22, either had financial help or had moved to a LCOL location, often staying on in their college town or city. 5 years later most have moved in with a significant other, the rest split between living on their own, still with roommates, back at school, moved out of the area. NOONE has moved back home.
Now if you have huge college debt, have elderly parents you have to take care of, can’t get/hold a job then your timeline is going to be different, however those are exceptions and even the college debt can be managed.
I’m assuming you are in college now, concentrate on the kind of a job you want and can get when you graduate. Take the courses and get the experience in what will make you attractive to future employers. The rest will come.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:35 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,870,328 times
When people move out is up to them and their parents. So your use of "have to" is really more personal than you think.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:49 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I'm ranting about my frustration of how many young people in NJ have to move out at ages older than 22 or 23. 24 and above is old in my opinion. 22 and 23 means you were recently out of college and looking for jobs.
just becuase you can't make a living don't assume others can't . I was out and Married by 22 and(the bank and I) had my own home ......IN NJ.. You need to look at yourself and stop blaming others .

Old 04-07-2019, 07:55 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,671,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Does it matter,it's all he ever does.

Old 04-07-2019, 08:15 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,498,809 times
What's your major? Why can't you get a job here?

Old 04-07-2019, 09:10 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,642,764 times
When I was in college and living with my parents, they decided they wanted to move out of state and I had maybe 2 months to figure out what to do. I found a place with a roommate and worked full time while going to school full time (I was 19 then). When I graduated at 22 I got a place on my own. I probably would have stayed at home until age 23 or 24 if my parents hadn’t moved, but my choices were to figure things out or be homeless. If your parents kicked you out of the house tomorrow I promise you your time wouldn’t be spent ranting online to strangers; you would be forced to figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: