Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 07:45 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times

Advertisements

I remember hearing that this town has a history of racism.

But as one poster said, this is 2019, so maybe things have changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 08:44 PM

27 posts, read 31,119 times
West Milford is mostly septic and high taxes. You do not want to move to West Milford. No one cares what color a person is. There are black ppl in Upper Saddle River, Rivervale, Westwood and Montvale. It's in your head. Just make sure you like the area and the house prior to buying. Not only think of what you need today, but what you may need a few years down the line.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:57 PM

607 posts, read 553,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by af1602 View Post
CaptainNJ,
I’ve always lived in diverse neighborhoods. But when I did research on demographics it said 95 of it’s residents are white. It’s truly not a bother for me but my wife is just a little concerned about our kids. Kids can be very insensitive sometimes.
Who cares if 95% of the people are white? White people span the spectrum of nearly every criteria you could imagine apart from race. Actually you could pick large group and they would be impossibly diverse apart from their race.

I guess what I'm getting at is maybe don't judge people by their skin color.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:06 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Who cares if 95% of the people are white? White people span the spectrum of nearly every criteria you could imagine apart from race. Actually you could pick large group and they would be impossibly diverse apart from their race.

In fairness, you can't pretend that pockets of racism don't exist. I wrote above about Midland Park, my own hometown. There was no problem as far as I could see with the kids and the parents in the schools, at least not openly.

But there are racists in town. I know this because they are related to me. They are stuck back in another time and they'll never change. My sister has been married to a black man for more than 40 years, from back in the days when people stared at them when they went to the mall or out to dinner. He was a professional, white-collar businessman, now retired, but I have ignorant cousins who never saw beyond his skin. They met him at weddings and funerals and smiled and politely shook his hand and some said, "Well, THIS black man is DIFFERENT from those others" but he always knew what they were really thinking. We all did.

There are probably some of those types in every predominantly white town, and the OP may encounter them. Fortunately, they are becoming extinct, and by and large the younger generations have no tolerance for that nonsense, but I can understand the OP's caution.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-18-2019 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Fixed my typo

Old 04-17-2019, 09:21 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:

I don't think that he was judging anybody. He was assessing how his family may be perceived and treated in such a different environment. Its a valid concern (especially given the rough history of this country).

On the flip-side, I think it would be 100% reasonable if a white family had a similar inquiry on a predominately-minority town. As long as there are no disparaging remarks or stereotypes being thrown around then theres really no problem.

I don't know if this was intentional or not but it looks like you're attempting to misportray him as a racist for simply just posing this question. I've been seeing a lot of this type of 'gaslighting' throughout the internet lately.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-17-2019 at 09:33 PM..

Old 04-17-2019, 09:22 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigsquestions View Post
West Milford is mostly septic and high taxes. You do not want to move to West Milford. No one cares what color a person is. There are black ppl in Upper Saddle River, Rivervale, Westwood and Montvale. It's in your head. Just make sure you like the area and the house prior to buying. Not only think of what you need today, but what you may need a few years down the line.
Oh, high taxes. Isn't that a surprise. I've lived in a house with a septic system and didn't have any problems. I did have it inspected before I bought.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:29 AM

607 posts, read 553,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I don't think that he was judging anybody. He was assessing how his family may be perceived and treated in such a different environment. Its a valid concern (especially given the rough history of this country).

On the flip-side, I think it would be 100% reasonable if a white family had a similar inquiry on a predominately-minority town. As long as there are no disparaging remarks or stereotypes being thrown around then theres really no problem.

I don't know if this was intentional or not but it looks like you're attempting to misportray him as a racist for simply just posing this question. I've been seeing a lot of this type of 'gaslighting' throughout the internet lately.
What this person said was explicitly racist and not remotely a misportrayal.

Racism doesn't always come in a white hood, it's often casual racism like assuming a town that's predominantly of one race will have an issue with someone who's another race. An assumption based solely on...their race.

It's like a non-black person asking the same question about East Orange or Camden. Having safety concerns in those towns is justifiable. Assuming the populations of those towns will hold your skin color against you is racist.

Just live your life, stop worrying so much. Turn off the TV...most of this race crap is drummed up by the media because it gets clicks.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:36 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
What this person said was explicitly racist and not remotely a misportrayal.

Racism doesn't always come in a white hood, it's often casual racism like assuming a town that's predominantly of one race will have an issue with someone who's another race. An assumption based solely on...their race.

It's like a non-black person asking the same question about East Orange or Camden. Having safety concerns in those towns is justifiable. Assuming the populations of those towns will hold your skin color against you is racist.

Just live your life, stop worrying so much. Turn off the TV...most of this race crap is drummed up by the media because it gets clicks.
I re-read the thread (in case I missed something) and I don't see him assuming anything anywhere. He seems to be coming from a very neutral place. If he was truly racist then he probably wouldn't have even asked the question (since it looks he already knew the town was 95% white). He was wondering how his family would likely get treated. And it clearly turned out to be a valid question since several responses indicated that this area has a reputation for racism.

I agree with your last paragraph. The media definitely does milk and exploit negative interactions involving people of different races for attention; and to add, more individuals are starting to stage bias incidents for attention. However, one has to be careful not to minimize the struggles that many (not all) people legitimately go through being a visible minority in a given community (whether its a white person in a nearly all-black area; or a black person in a nearly all-white area; or any other combo you can think of).

Old 04-18-2019, 07:19 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
I don't think this thread is being fair to West Milford. It's fine. Good grief.

It's just doesn't have great access to major highways, so yeah, you can get a bit more for your money out there. That would be my biggest concern and why I asked where the OP works.

The flip side of this is that the lack of access to major highways is probably why it has been able to retain its rural character.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:35 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I don't think this thread is being fair to West Milford. It's fine. Good grief.

It's just doesn't have great access to major highways, so yeah, you can get a bit more for your money out there. That would be my biggest concern and why I asked where the OP works.

The flip side of this is that the lack of access to major highways is probably why it has been able to retain its rural character.
Yes, it's a beautiful town with a lot of woods. We used to go riding at the Echo Lake stables (not the same riding stable I referred to earlier) and one of the trail guides told us that they could ride their horses all the way to New York State through the woods, just crossing a couple of roads.

If the OP chooses to move there, he might want to review with his family what to do if you encounter a bear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey