Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 10:36 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,015,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We used to go riding at the Echo Lake stables (not the same riding stable I referred to earlier) and one of the trail guides told us that they could ride their horses all the way to New York State through the woods, just crossing a couple of roads.

Also, the Appalachian Trail's NJ/NY border is in West Milford, just west of Greenwood Lake. I was there last year. I hope to hike the rest of the NJ AT this summer! (in sections)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2019, 10:41 AM

20,251 posts, read 19,821,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
......If the OP chooses to move there, he might want to review with his family what to do if you encounter a bear.

Just make sure you can run faster than the people your with.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:03 AM

586 posts, read 311,207 times
No one cares what color you are. Maintain your property, live a quiet life like your neighbors, and there will be no issues.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:21 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,844,767 times
I'd suggest going for a day and bringing the kids. Go play at the playgrounds, have lunch, walk around town, give the town a once over with the kids. See if other kids at the playground treat them well, see how storekeepers do around them, and then see how comfortable everyone in the family is. That's the best way to see how things are going to go.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:29 AM

189 posts, read 260,355 times
West Milford is beautiful, I was looking in that area. My family is afro-latin (Black Dominicans) ... so I definitely thought about the lack of diversity but after some thought I wasn't too worried because like others have said who cares its 2019. Racism will always exist and you cannot allow it to change your day to day life..

Ultimately we bought our home in Jefferson Township, we changed our minds on West Milford and Ringwood because its basically cutoff from major transportation during snowfall. Jefferson was our pick because it was right off 23N and Route 80, we also chose a home off a main road so that its always plowed.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:11 PM

607 posts, read 546,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongobongo View Post
No one cares what color you are. Maintain your property, live a quiet life like your neighbors, and there will be no issues.
Exactly! The news on BOTH ends of the retarded political spectrum (CNN, Breitbart etc) is doing everything they can to convince people there's an impending race war because contrived drama gets clicks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xism View Post
West Milford is beautiful, I was looking in that area. My family is afro-latin (Black Dominicans) ... so I definitely thought about the lack of diversity but after some thought I wasn't too worried because like others have said who cares its 2019. Racism will always exist and you cannot allow it to change your day to day life..

Ultimately we bought our home in Jefferson Township, we changed our minds on West Milford and Ringwood because its basically cutoff from major transportation during snowfall. Jefferson was our pick because it was right off 23N and Route 80, we also chose a home off a main road so that its always plowed.
Exactly! If you're going to move to a new town concern yourself with the schools, jobs, transportation, nightlife etc...you know the things that might actually matter.

If you're convinced that based on the town's racial demographics alone that you're going to be accosted by scary black/white/asian/etc people because they might not like your skin color you're at best a little racist, and at worst a lot racist.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:13 PM

2,744 posts, read 2,387,338 times
For the sake of your children, I would consider moving to a more diverse town, especially if you are planning to put them in private school.

Old 04-20-2019, 03:38 PM

23,394 posts, read 17,067,376 times
hell has officially frozen over when someone from the Bronx is worried about living in West Milford!!!

Old 04-21-2019, 07:26 AM

55 posts, read 51,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
hell has officially frozen over when someone from the Bronx is worried about living in West Milford!!!
This was my thought.

The Bronx is statistically one of the least diverse places in the entire country if you measure by actual diversity of ethnicities.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:03 PM

4,007 posts, read 3,567,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysalami View Post
This was my thought.

The Bronx is statistically one of the least diverse places in the entire country if you measure by actual diversity of ethnicities.
HUH?

2013 estimates

According to a 2013 Census Bureau estimate,[105][not in citation given] 45.8% of the Bronx's population was white, 43.3% was black or African American, 4.2% Asian, 3.0% American Indian, 0.4% Pacific Islander, and 3.3% of two or more races. In addition, 54.6% of the population was of Hispanic or Latino origin, of any race.

The Census Bureau considers the Bronx to be the most diverse area in the country. There is an 89.7 percent chance that any two residents, chosen at random, would be of different race or ethnicity.[106] The borough's most populous racial group, white, declined from 98.3% in 1940 to 45.8% in 2013.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey