Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 09:25 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I live in North Jersey. I go to the Rockaway Mall a lot and I notice the high amounts of young couples and screaming children that go there, but when you to Livingston Mall, you don't hear screaming children and you see retirees going there and you will not hear screaming children. It seems like younger crowds live west of I-287. Also Morris County towns tend to have a "redneck element" once you go west of I-287. More west = more rednecky. Dover is obviously young since it has Hispanic immigrants.
I would suggest you don't go to the malls just to spend time. If you have not heard, malls are losing popularity all over the country and some of them are closing. In my opinion, you would be better off being outside, enjoying the fresh air and participating in either sports or cultural activities...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 09:29 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
Quote:
Malls are great places for elderly and handicapped people to take walks. I sometimes see Craigslist posts of people looking for jogging buddies to jog at malls (I don't see mall jogging in real life). Livingston Mall does not seem like its dying much except for their anchor stores like Sears and Macy's are little disorganized and a little trashy. Best part of a not busy mall is that I don't have to worry about strollers everywhere. Teenagers and little kids constantly are misbehaving in the Rockaway Mall and I give them dirty stares every time they bump into me.
No local parks are great places for elderly or handicapped people to take walks. They can benefit from fresh air as opposed to the recirculated air in the malls. They also can hopefully look at nature, trees, flowers, etc as opposed to the commercial store fronts. They would save money too...

Old 04-24-2019, 10:07 AM

280 posts, read 339,197 times
Quote:
In my lifetime, I would think the Northeast will be the new rust belt. Younger people are fleeing to areas that never grew in the past like Charlotte, NC; Reno, NV; and small metropolitan areas that are growing. No young person in NJ can survive unless they were some prestigious college student who already had a ton of experience on their resume.
That's funny because the last thread you said this too and you received tons of replies from us "regular NJ kids" doing just fine here.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:07 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,347 times
Quote:
It is not just the mall. I see young couples living west of I-287. Dover is full of young Hispanic immigrants. Mine Hill is full of young couples who have homes (which is surprising to even afford in NJ as a young person).

MINE HILL is teeming with young people? That is news to me to say the least.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:08 AM

189 posts, read 262,386 times
Quote:
In my lifetime, I would think the Northeast will be the new rust belt. Younger people are fleeing to areas that never grew in the past like Charlotte, NC; Reno, NV; and small metropolitan areas that are growing. No young person in NJ can survive unless they were some prestigious college student who already had a ton of experience on their resume.
You are generalizing as I know a multitude of millennial's who are thriving, other who are doing well and some who work blue collar jobs but are surviving just fine. Some are doing better than others but overall no one is struggling and they all went to regular public and sub-par universities.

My family and I are doing very well in NJ and neither my wife or I finished college, we are what some would consider young. I am 31 and my wife is 29, we own a modest home and all around are doing well.

My best friend is in law enforcement and his wife is a teacher, they are both surviving very well, own a condo and eat plenty of avocado toast.

Other married friend is a little younger than us but they just closed on their home and they didn't go to college either.

Maybe you should spend less time on City-Data complaining about NJ and spend more time making yourself more marketable so you too can survive like the rest of us.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:33 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,492,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I would suggest you don't go to the malls just to spend time. If you have not heard, malls are losing popularity all over the country and some of them are closing. In my opinion, you would be better off being outside, enjoying the fresh air and participating in either sports or cultural activities...
Now that the weather is better, I can enjoy doing my typical Pyramid/Turkey Mountain hikes, but I'll look for other hiking places too! Malls are losing popularity, but it probably won't happen in NJ.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
No local parks are great places for elderly or handicapped people to take walks. They can benefit from fresh air as opposed to the recirculated air in the malls. They also can hopefully look at nature, trees, flowers, etc as opposed to the commercial store fronts. They would save money too...
Lol you didn't make sense just now, I think you made a mistake and meant to put the word "mall" instead of "local parks". Some parks are good for handicapped people (paved walkways and flat land), but not hiking trails.

Last edited by moshywilly; 04-24-2019 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
That's funny because the last thread you said this too and you received tons of replies from us "regular NJ kids" doing just fine here.
Yeah but watch, all of you young New Jerseyans are going to suffer and move back into your parents. NJ does not pay enough to suit its high cost of living like other high COL areas around the country. Hopefully NJ will pass its unrealistic $15 per hour law as the new minimum wage.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:00 PM

280 posts, read 339,197 times
Quote:
Yeah but watch, all of you young New Jerseyans are going to suffer and move back into your parents. NJ does not pay enough to suit its high cost of living like other high COL areas around the country. Hopefully NJ will pass its unrealistic $15 per hour law as the new minimum wage.
My husband and I each make 6 figures and our home has increased in value by $150k already, barring something catastrophic I don't expect to be moving back in with my parents. If you're still making minimum wage you need to build your skill set.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
My husband and I each make 6 figures and our home has increased in value by $150k already, barring something catastrophic I don't expect to be moving back in with my parents. If you're still making minimum wage you need to build your skill set.
See the thing with NJ is that the state is not great for singles. You can't afford the state unless you have a spouse. Everyone is getting married at 23 (which is earlier than what my parents' generation got married at) and most New Jerseyans met their spouse through high school and I absolutely hated everyone from my hometown. I never liked one girl from my hometown, but most people who grew up in NJ did.

I never planned on getting married or having kids like most New Jerseyans. NJ is also a state made for "raising children". I definitely can't afford NJ if I don't want marriage. I never ever had a gf in my life, but I want to be in a relationship someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey