Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2008, 06:37 AM

7,214 posts, read 11,888,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
Rickles! My dad loved that store!!!

Corvettes, Two Guys - I remember all the merchandise being roped off on Sundays because of the blue laws.

How about The Lost Picture Show in Union?

The OB Diner?
And Channel Lumber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 07:33 AM

619 posts, read 2,192,675 times
Ok, thought of another...

The Tower Steak House on 22 in Mountainside. Every holiday they would have this enormous candy display by the front door, and all these people posing as fine diners would go crazy filling bags - present company included ;-) !

Old 04-23-2008, 01:53 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,476,741 times
4 and 20 pie shop

Old 04-24-2008, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 11,514 times
Giant Stadium vs. Roosevelt Stadium: I always called it Roosevelt Stadium. I saw 4th of July fireworks there for years. I also saw a circus or two. I was very upset when they tore it down.

Does anyone remember going to the local hardware store and buying a lb. of nails from those huge barrels? Are there any radio repair shops out there?

Last edited by Alice C. Stewart; 04-24-2008 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: clarification; addition

Old 04-24-2008, 07:26 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,847,187 times
I remember we were in a Drum & Bugle tournament at Roosevelt Stadium. Cool place.

Now back in my hometown, Brick, we had the Laurelton Drive In (now a Walmart), sometimes we'd venture up to the Shore Drive In or the Circle Drive In up in Wall and Brielle. Even the Fly & Drive at Monmouth Airport. Anyone remember the bowling alley there that burned down?

Oh yeah, the stores. Alot were already mentioned, but my Mom & Dad used to take us up to Klein's (sp?) in Woodbridge. And then we'd stop by the Collingswood Auction to do some more shopping. If my brothers and I behaved, we'd get to race slot cars while Mom & Dad shopped.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:04 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,767,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Stewart's for a burger and a root beer. I thought it was so cool how they put the tray on your car window.

They still have on in Dover on rt 46

Old 04-24-2008, 11:07 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,767,715 times
Riding around the square in Morristown 100 times a nite in the 70's
The drive-ins, one in Morris Plains and one in East Hanover
Admiral's Daughter in Lake Parsippany
Muldoon's tavern in Whippany
Bertrand's island in Lake Hopatcong
Aunt Kate's in Stanhope
The train tracks in Chester looking for the hooker man

Old 04-29-2008, 02:04 PM

10 posts, read 43,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyOnTheMove View Post
Well, since Tahiti started her Jersey'isms thread, I have been stuck in a time warp, visiting places I haven't been to in years, and finding that some are GONE-

When I was a kid, growing up in Fort Lee, we had Hiram's AND Callahan's, right across the street from each other. <snip>

The Carvel in Fort Lee was also another favorite place of mine, <snip>

And Michele's Bakery in Fort Lee. <snip>

And finally, my favorite Jersey Institution was "Jahn's Ice Cream Parlor" on Route 4. <snip>

What are your favorite Jersey Institutions of Yesteryear? What place do you drive by and smile to yourself????
There was a Carvel in Fort Lee? I remember the Dairy Queen down by Route 5 but can't for the life of me remember a Carvel in town. The nearest one I remember was on Grand Avenue in Englewood near the Leonia line.

If you remember Callahans & Hirams (the former is gone but Hirams lives on) then you probably also remember Twin Gables and the biggest Jersey Institution of them all in Fort Lee... Palisades Amusement Park.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:02 PM

323 posts, read 2,084,921 times
Absolutely, Kearny NJ still has one...very nice place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Stewart's for a burger and a root beer. I thought it was so cool how they put the tray on your car window.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:25 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,847,187 times
Was watching TV last night and they had a documentary on about Eddie Antar. Yep, they were profiing Crazy Eddie Antar. Remember his electronic stores and his radio/tv commercials?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey