Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 02:31 PM

9 posts, read 8,035 times

Advertisements

Hi. My family of four will be moving to New Jersey from Minnesota. I am a SAHM and Husband will be working out of Basking Ridge. We are looking for a nice suburban area with good schools. Good schools are our main priority. I know anywhere near the Basking Ridge Area is completely out of our price range. What areas would you recommend?
Where are you coming from? MN
Why are you moving? Work
Where will you be working ? Basking Ridge

Will you buy or rent? Buy
What is your budget ? up to 425K
What kind of place are you looking for ? single family home.. at least 4 bd and 2 bath

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? yes
Do you need/want good public schools?yes

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
I would love newer construction or updated homes... Neighborhoods with young families and kids.. Safe. I love planned communities with amenities likes pools and playgrounds. I would like to be able to be close enough to shopping ( grocery stores, Target, etc).

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. 1. good schools 2. safe 3. diverse

We've been looking into and like Greenwich Township area (only drawback is the assigned Phillipsburg High School, Mount Olive Township, Hackettstown, Panther Valley (but it looks like schools aren't good). There are nice spacious newer and affordable homes that I love in Lopatcong but it looks like schools are bad..

I have even considered looking into towns in Pennsylvania, but that commute would probably be horrible, right?
Husband will have flexibility with work and will be able to work from home often.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...#ixzz5mngKVKhn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 04:27 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
I don’t know about updated or new in your price range, but I would look at Flemington

Old 05-03-2019, 09:58 AM

10,461 posts, read 6,982,705 times
What type of diverse? Black? Maybe Newark or surrounding areas

Old 05-03-2019, 10:23 AM

280 posts, read 339,128 times
Basking Ridge/Bernardsville/Bedminster will have homes in your price range but they'll probably need some work and won't be as large as you might be thinking about. But the towns are fantastic, great schools, great communities, and having a short commute in NJ is worth its weight in gold. People generally trade a big house for a great community here.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:21 AM

214 posts, read 350,389 times
Try Hillsborough (pricey - but good stock of new construction homes) or Mount Olive (you would get in your price range with a school district which is in Top 50 list of schools from NJ for the USNews report)

Old 05-04-2019, 04:49 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Might have to compromise somewhat on something, but THE HILLS in Bedminster could work for you.
I just did a super quick search and there are updated 3 BR 2 Bath Units for under 400.
The development is wonderful - worth considering. Would give you everything but the 4 BR and that might be possible as well. As I said I did a very quick search so keep that in mind.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:57 AM

99 posts, read 79,242 times
Moving pretty well on the Garden State Parkway this morning. Cruising at between 75 and 85MPH the whole way. No cops on the road, not yet, they'll be here when more people are out. (Probably. It's too early they can't be bothered this early.) Nice drive.

You'll like it here, welcome from Minnesoooooooooota.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:05 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodelotus View Post
Basking Ridge/Bernardsville/Bedminster will have homes in your price range but they'll probably need some work and won't be as large as you might be thinking about. But the towns are fantastic, great schools, great communities, and having a short commute in NJ is worth its weight in gold. People generally trade a big house for a great community here.
I second this. If schools are your top concern, I would look in Bernards Township itself, though most of your price range is going to be townhouses, not single family homes.

Warren would be a good possibility - again if you're willing to compromise a bit on the home size and condition. https://www.weichert.com/83122310/ Also with decent schools, try Long Hill Township/Gillette/Stirling.

We're in Berkeley Heights. We love the schools and the neighborhood. Here's one on Springfield Ave. It's a busy street, and one bedroom less than desired, but with the price you'd have some money left for updates. https://www.weichert.com/82404594/

Old 05-05-2019, 04:32 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,487 times
What exactly does diverse mean?

Old 05-06-2019, 09:04 PM

9 posts, read 8,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
What exactly does diverse mean?
Just a mixture of different people. I wouldn’t want to live somewhere that is all
One race regardless of the race. So, it’s not a huge priority. Schools are the biggest thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey