Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:36 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im generally ok with that concept but i would suggest that the public school should pay for the parents to send the child elsewhere or to home school. it isnt fair to force people to do things at the threat of withholding services that people pay for. it will especially impact the people who cant afford to pay for both property taxes and private school; so it is (intentionally) a policy to abuse lower and middle income people to submitting to the government's will.
The non vaccinating parent should have access to online public school and be eligible for any home school materials just like any other parent who chooses those options instead of brick and mortar public school. No more and no less. They should not be provided money, courtesy of taxpayers, for private school.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 05-14-2019 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 08:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Except every homeowner, even the childless ones, pay into the school districts. If you only paid into services you used, most services would shut down for lack of funds. So no, people who home school or private school should not receive a rebate. They can, however, choose to live in a town with lower taxes, since school quality would not be an issue.
i get that and i didnt really want to expand the discussion into this separate "complex" issue (even though some people feel i expand it beyond its scope). the problem here is that you have now made it impossible for someone to go to public school and they dont have the money to pay for private school. the government is abusing this power because it knows that most people will be forced to acquiesce to it out of limited alternatives.

but hey, people agree with it and support it so the abuse is ok. like i said before; everyone loves it when the government enforces stuff they agree with. then suddenly "well, life is unfair deal with it." they dont like it so much when they pull the short end of the stick.

i dont really understand why individuals dont support letting some money follow students to schools of their choice. i can see why government supports it but i dont think its valid for us citizens to support that.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:57 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,254,326 times
Quote:
the only reason there are limits on forced vaccination is thanks to people willing to fight against it. there are people in nyc fighting the government right now on that. if we arent vigilant, government will do whatever they can get away with.
But you say that you vax your kids, so what is your point?

Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
But you say that you vax your kids, so what is your point?
this is an interesting question. so you think that because you do what the government wants that means that you should support the government forcing others to do it? this is a big problem generally where people think that because they agree with something, that means that are ok with a greater power (often government of some sort) forcing it on other people who dont agree.

i have my opinions and make my choices. i dont support forcing other people to make the same choices as i do.

so my point is that government shouldnt be allowed to force people to take a vaccine. what i do doesnt change that.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
this is an interesting question. so you think that because you do what the government wants that means that you should support the government forcing others to do it? this is a big problem generally where people think that because they agree with something, that means that are ok with a greater power (often government of some sort) forcing it on other people who dont agree.

i have my opinions and make my choices. i dont support forcing other people to make the same choices as i do.

so my point is that government shouldnt be allowed to force people to take a vaccine. what i do doesnt change that.
No one is forced to vaccinate - though there are circumstances in which that could happen. Those who refuse vaccines just have to be prepared to accept the consequences, such as not being able to use public schools.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:52 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No one is forced to vaccinate - though there are circumstances in which that could happen. Those who refuse vaccines just have to be prepared to accept the consequences, such as not being able to use public schools.
You like to focus on children and public schools because you know that there is nothing your can do about un/undervaccinated adults. This outbreak in NJ, and other places, was caused by an ADULT, who I read was in his 40's from NYC, travelling to NJ. Ending all non-medical exemptions TODAY will not solve the problem of unvaccinated in the PAST. You cannot see the forest for the trees.

Do you seriously think this 40 year old man was "prepared to accept the consequences, such as not being able to use public schools"? That is akin to your comment about 70 year old me not being able to go to college unvaccinated.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
You like to focus on children and public schools because you know that there is nothing your can do about un/undervaccinated adults. This outbreak in NJ, and other places, was caused by an ADULT, who I read was in his 40's from NYC, travelling to NJ. Ending all non-medical exemptions TODAY will not solve the problem of unvaccinated in the PAST. You cannot see the forest for the trees.

Do you seriously think this 40 year old man was "prepared to accept the consequences, such as not being able to use public schools"? That is akin to your comment about 70 year old me not being able to go to college unvaccinated.
Adults need to be vaccinated, too. Anyone unsure about his status with regards to any VPD should consult his physician. There are a lot of adults who are getting the MMR in areas where there are measles outbreaks.

Who said not being able to attend school was the only consequence? An adult with measles will be asked to self quarantine (no work, no unvaccinated visitors, stay out of public), will be asked questions about where he was for about four days before the rash appeared, and will be asked about friends and family he might have exposed. The answers to those questions will help find others who may get sick.

I do not remember saying anything about your going to college at all, and because of your age you are considered immune to measles anyway and would not even be offered the vaccine, which you well know. I do not understand why you keep going on and on and on about your having to personally take the measles vaccine. You are immune by virtue of having had measles. You do not need the vaccine. No one will even suggest that you take it. Just stop.

What you refuse to accept is that the majority of US adults have been vaccinated (or, if old enough, had measles) and are immune. If the vaccine refusers did not cluster in the same communities measles outbreaks would be easier to contain. The problem in NY is that people are deliberately infecting other people and still refusing the vaccine despite more and more people getting sick, and there are a large number of unvaccinated, susceptible people in one geographic location who have been hoodwinked into thinking measles causes autism.

Ending all except medical exemptions has worked very well in Mississippi and W. Virginia. They do not have measles outbreaks because they do not have large clusters of unvaccinated people.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
but you want to be able to force people to vaccinate and you appreciate the control that exists by taking advantage of most people's need to utilize public schools. that is why there needs to be people on the other side advocating against that force.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
but you want to be able to force people to vaccinate and you appreciate the control that exists by taking advantage of most people's need to utilize public schools. that is why there needs to be people on the other side advocating against that force.
If there were a valid reason not to vaccinate healthy children then vaccine school mandates would not exist. However, the risk from vaccines is so tiny that mandates are justified. Every parent has the choice to vaccinate or not. Whether he wants to use public schools or not is strictly up to him. Mandates help protect the general population against potentially dangerous diseases. No one should be forced to accept the risks generated by anti-vaccinationism.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
If there were a valid reason not to vaccinate healthy children then vaccine school mandates would not exist. However, the risk from vaccines is so tiny that mandates are justified. Every parent has the choice to vaccinate or not. Whether he wants to use public schools or not is strictly up to him. Mandates help protect the general population against potentially dangerous diseases. No one should be forced to accept the risks generated by anti-vaccinationism.
i see a lot of logics here that are very useful for when the government wants to walk all over people's individual freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey