Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2019, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 851 times

Advertisements

I started collecting NJ UI benefits in mid-April after my full-time, 40-hr weekly salaried job with my previous employer ended in March. I started a part-time job on 4/22, working 25 - 30 hrs per week at min wage. I did report the part-time income on my weekly certs and received partial benefits. When I went to certify for weekly benefits today, the site stated would not allow it, stating I had returned to work.

I'm confused. I thought in NJ you can collect partial benefits if working part-time, as long as you report the income and it is less than full-time. I do understand my weekly benefit amount will be reduced but why am I no longer qualified for any weekly benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 11:16 AM

50,921 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLLRR View Post
I started collecting NJ UI benefits in mid-April after my full-time, 40-hr weekly salaried job with my previous employer ended in March. I started a part-time job on 4/22, working 25 - 30 hrs per week at min wage. I did report the part-time income on my weekly certs and received partial benefits. When I went to certify for weekly benefits today, the site stated would not allow it, stating I had returned to work.

I'm confused. I thought in NJ you can collect partial benefits if working part-time, as long as you report the income and it is less than full-time. I do understand my weekly benefit amount will be reduced but why am I no longer qualified for any weekly benefits?
You don’t say how much you make, but if you make more than your weekly benefit then they will not pay you anything. Did they require anything from your employer? When I worked part to d while collecting many years ago, they required me to get a form signed weekly by my employer weekly stating he did not have full time hours to give me.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 851 times
I earned approx 1/3 of my weekly benefit rate. My part-time earnings amount to $220/week.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:49 PM

50,921 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLLRR View Post
I earned approx 1/3 of my weekly benefit rate. My part-time earnings amount to $220/week.
Did you go online or call them?

Old 05-12-2019, 02:07 PM

3 posts, read 851 times
I was trying to file for my weekly benefits as usual online when I received the message today. The office is closed on Sundays so no one answered the phone. My part-time employer pays on a bi-weekly basis so it could be they reported I worked over 40 hours and unemployment is not taking into account that is split between 10 days??? I'll call Monday morning.

In 2010 I collected unemployment while working a part-time retail job and didn't have this issue. But that particular employer paid on a weekly basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey