Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2019, 07:31 AM

41 posts, read 79,650 times

Advertisements

I see that some people have complained about train sounds in residential complexes like Westgate and Dogwood Meadows. I was wondering how big of a concern is this. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 09:27 AM

465 posts, read 606,848 times
Even though it’s a bit dated, I hear that most people in Westgate and Dogwood really enjoy the the sounds of Train.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xf-Lesrkuc

Old 05-13-2019, 09:34 AM

41 posts, read 79,650 times
Ha ha ha...ok. Do you have a serious answer though?

Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,864,277 times
You see some have complained, I'm sure you see some people say it's no big deal.

That's because it's personal. Some people don't mind it, others are really put off. It's like when it's 65 degrees out, do you always need a jacket? Some people do, others don't.

If 20 people say they don't mind the sound of the train and one person says it's the worst thing you'd still want to find out for yourself in the end, right? So I'm not sure how much other people are going to help you on this.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:33 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
Is this for purchasing or renting?

Is that the main NJT line or a freight line? You want to find out how often it comes

I would also just go drive there when you know a train is coming by. Park your car, open the windows and listen to how loud it is. If you're buying, go to the house and sit in the backyard and listen when a train comes by.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:14 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
Those areas are next to the Conrail Lehigh Line. It's the busiest freight rail line in the state of NJ. About 45 freight trains per day use that section of it.

Whether or not that's bothersome depends a lot on how far the home is from the tracks, what building materials were used to build the home, which direction the home faces, how many other buildings and/or vegetation are between the home and the tracks, and your own sensitivities to noise. Also, are there any at-grade crossings nearby where the trains would have to lay on their horns.

I live about 800 feet from a freight line that carries 12 trains per day and I barely notice them at all. Only when I have my windows open on that side of the house do I sometimes hear a soft squeal of the wheels on the tracks. And if I have the TV on, or the windows closed, I hear nothing at all.

Old 05-13-2019, 12:58 PM

108 posts, read 152,037 times
For the past 35 years, I've lived 4 blocks from a NJT line in Belmar. Maybe I heard the train when we first moved in but I barely hear it now. You somehow get used to it.

And I've always thought it was one of the joys of living in a small town,

Old 05-13-2019, 02:00 PM

538 posts, read 732,569 times
For the most part rail isn't that noisy, and most people also get used to it and can tune it out. My mother-in-law lives in a condo building that has train tracks behind it and I can't recall ever hearing any noise from it. I'm sure if I was listening for it I could hear it. It's certainly not a problem.

To illustrate how it works for most people, I had a friend that lived in Harlem near the 125th St stop on the 1 where the tracks are raised. She was in a building a few floors up on the side adjacent to the Subway so it was essentially right out the window. When I was over there, which wasn't often, I'd ask her how the hell can you deal with that? And she wouldn't know what I was talking about. That's how much she was able to tune it out, and it was far beyond anything that I've heard in any house in NJ even right on the tracks.

(That said, there's always someone... and those people often post in places like City Data)

Old 05-14-2019, 09:25 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Those areas are next to the Conrail Lehigh Line. It's the busiest freight rail line in the state of NJ. About 45 freight trains per day use that section of it.

Whether or not that's bothersome depends a lot on how far the home is from the tracks, what building materials were used to build the home, which direction the home faces, how many other buildings and/or vegetation are between the home and the tracks, and your own sensitivities to noise. Also, are there any at-grade crossings nearby where the trains would have to lay on their horns.

I live about 800 feet from a freight line that carries 12 trains per day and I barely notice them at all. Only when I have my windows open on that side of the house do I sometimes hear a soft squeal of the wheels on the tracks. And if I have the TV on, or the windows closed, I hear nothing at all.
You are also inhaling diesel fumes, unfortunately...

Old 05-14-2019, 01:02 PM

10 posts, read 11,839 times
I am sure it will be extremely load especially if you are next to the train tracks in both these complexes . I am like half a mile from the train but i still hear them in the middle of the night ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey