Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:15 PM

48 posts, read 386,307 times

Advertisements

My vote too is with Leyland Cypress. I have a yard full of them. I have a few in the back field that has had winds up to 80mph and the trees were fine.

The "good neighbor" trees along the side of my house were planted in 1998. They're taller than the house and make a great privacy screen. They're also aesthetically more pleasing than Thuja. (IMO)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:19 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times
Geoff - how big were your Leyland's when you planted them 10 years ago?

Old 04-14-2008, 05:02 AM

48 posts, read 386,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Geoff - how big were your Leyland's when you planted them 10 years ago?
The trees along the house were about 12" high. They're 25-30' high now. I have 2 in the front yard that are 3 years old and are 12' high. 4 more in the field were planted at the same time and are the same size.

I've never had bag worms or disease on any of them and it's much milder here than to the north. (more time for pests and disease) They've never blown over in a storm, and we get some storms down here, and make a great wind/sun/noise screen.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff MRT View Post
The trees along the house were about 12" high. They're 25-30' high now. I have 2 in the front yard that are 3 years old and are 12' high. 4 more in the field were planted at the same time and are the same size.

I've never had bag worms or disease on any of them and it's much milder here than to the north. (more time for pests and disease) They've never blown over in a storm, and we get some storms down here, and make a great wind/sun/noise screen.
Geoff - have you had any issues with deer eating them? I read on another site they are like candy to deer.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Geoff - have you had any issues with deer eating them? I read on another site they are like candy to deer.
They are supposed to be "Deer Resistant" but ask any good nursery and they will tell you "deer resistant" is a different from "deer proof". Mine are popsicles for the deer. They will eat almost anything in the winter as they are starving. One neighbor actually puts out food for them so that they won't eat his plants. It works.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
One neighbor actually puts out food for them so that they won't eat his plants. It works.
The deer mafia; only in NJ.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
The deer mafia; only in NJ.
"Yo, is dat yur tree over der pal!" "I'll make ya an offer ya can't refuse if ya let me munch on it a bit"

Old 04-14-2008, 01:09 PM

"Dat's a nice tree yuse got dere. Would be a shame if something happened to it, yaknowwhatimean?"

Anyone have any experience growing Cryptomeria japonica in NJ? That's another possibility.

Cryptomeria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-14-2008, 06:08 PM

well NJ is Zone 6 and it all depends on the soil in your area..clay, sand, loam, etc. Most Japanese trees / shrubs can survive in NJ but I would check the zone for this tree... looks like you may have to wait 100 years to get the true beauty of this one though?

Old 04-17-2009, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 20,830 times
Default GG's are good - thujagardens.com bad!

I think the Green Giant is a great tree, just don't by it from thujagardens.com. The trees they send are about 1/4 the size of the tree they show in there sample picture. The Better Business Bureau give them a giant F with a warning. Look them up at the BBB by their phone number. I support the tree. I just don't want anyone to make the same mistake I made. I think the Green Giant is a great tree, just don't by it from thujagardens.com. The trees they send are about 1/4 the size of the tree they show in there sample picture. The Better Business Bureau give them a giant F with a warning. Look them up at the BBB by their phone number. I support the tree. I just don't want anyone to make the same mistake I made. I am trying to spread the word. Has any one else been cheated by this company. They will not answer email or phone messages after you pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey