Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 04:03 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
Like you said yourself, Lucario, it will likely go unappreciated by some here. They are ignorant of the history of racism in America and the current perpetuation of that history, not only because they are too lazy to research it for themselves, they're too blind to see what's right in front of their eyes.

They aren't just ignorant of the facts. They embrace and revel in their ignorance.

Enough with them. They're right on one point but they don't realize in what respect. There have always been people like them and there always will be and that's why there will always be racists, which is exactly what they are.
The "victim" mentality is basically a form of determinism. It excuses one from having to live up to any expectations because the metaphysical "deck" is presumed to be "stacked" against them. So whining and complaining becomes the predominant mindset, instead of doing and achieving. Of course the endgame to this is inevitably failure, bitterness, and unhappiness.

Meanwhile, others of all races and economic backgrounds who refuse to be defined by the irrational thoughts of others, excel in all fields and endeavors, big and small. Not giving a damn what people think and living up their own high self-standards. And becoming, say, President of the United States. Twice.

So I don't buy the racism nonsense. If you are good and show your stuff, you will excel and you will succeed. I don't believe in race anyway. To me there is no such thing. The wavelength at which light bounces off an individual is not of interest to me and tells me nothing at all about a person.

My questions are: What can you do? And how well can you do it?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 PM

188 posts, read 190,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
The "victim" mentality is basically a form of determinism. It excuses one from having to live up to any expectations because the metaphysical "deck" is presumed to be "stacked" against them. So whining and complaining becomes the predominant mindset, instead of doing and achieving. Of course the endgame to this is inevitably failure, bitterness, and unhappiness.

Meanwhile, others of all races and economic backgrounds who refuse to be defined by the irrational thoughts of others, excel in all fields and endeavors, big and small. Not giving a damn what people think and living up their own high self-standards. And becoming, say, President of the United States. Twice.

So I don't buy the racism nonsense. If you are good and show your stuff, you will excel and you will succeed. I don't believe in race anyway. To me there is no such thing. The wavelength at which light bounces off an individual is not of interest to me and tells me nothing at all about a person.

That's great Marc. I'm sure you're a real humanitarian. But to ignore the reality of the situation and blame victims of racism for their "victim mentality", suggesting the racism they face, which you obviously know nothing about, is some for of "determinism", is an attitude that in itself perpetuates racism.

In other words, for all your motivational diatribe, you really don't know what you're talking about.

I'd love to see light bounce of you at a different wave length for a while just to see your perceptions change when faced with the reality of racism.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post

Nobody is calling themselves a victim. Acknowledging the existence of a situation does not mean one has not devised some way of confronting or dealing with the effects of it. You have to, if, indeed, you wish to excel. Indeed, I have always been taught that I had to not be as good as everyone else, but better, if I wanted to succeed. And I am.

Even the President of the United States is cognizant of the existence of racism. He won't discuss it publicly, for many reasons, but he is very much aware of what is going on.

Quote:
That's fine for you to say......but we all know that there are lots of people who think otherwise.

Quote:
That I could discuss with you offline.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
All in all, in the interest of fairness I don't think Clark is any worse than any other town as far as this old subject. My feeling is its unjustified to label a town like that.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,607 times
Lived in Clark for 30 years. I was a teenager there. Had my kids there. Racist community? Absolutely. In the 1970's a black coworker told me I lived on "White Island". I never heard that before. My kids went to school in Clark and became very good friends with other kids whose parents were less than discreet about their racist feelings. We had to teach our children to ignore the hateful words. I still have many very good friends there but I also know their feelings of racism and it is very deep-rooted. I am originally from NY and in 30 years living in Clark I knew absolutely no one in that town who had moved there from a large city. Almost everyone was from Linden or Rahway and moved to Clark because , as I was told so many times, "there are no n*gg**s here." Real estate agents are more than happy to broadcast to prospective buyers that Clark is a "lily white" community. Unfortunately, the surrounding communities such as Rahway, Linden, Roselle and Roselle Park are made up of minorities and they are the surrounding urban and impoverished communities that give Clark it's moniker......."white island". Sorry to say that it is still very true. If you are white and you move there you will be batched together with many folks whose opinions and racism and debilitating ignorance (referring to the large Portuguese community there as Puerto Ricans) you might not share. Be careful who your children befriend because the parents in Clark are very vocal about their racism and you may have to re-teach your children a few things just as I did.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:55 PM

131 posts, read 221,123 times
What's wrong with living in a town where crime is low, especially violent crime, and it is a nice clean town? Is the worst thing people are doing over there is muttering to themselves how they prefer to live a town that is not as culturally diverse as some other towns? Really, that's the worst thing they're doing over there? With all the big problems in those surrounding towns we're here talking about how some people might have an 'attitude' problem in clark?

Old 06-11-2013, 01:26 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
I have to say, I'm amazed that this thread has lasted five years and apparently never went so far off the rails to be locked, which, considering the subject matter, is an accomplishment for the posters of city data

Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM

908 posts, read 1,555,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live-life View Post
What's wrong with living in a town where crime is low, especially violent crime, and it is a nice clean town? Is the worst thing people are doing over there is muttering to themselves how they prefer to live a town that is not as culturally diverse as some other towns? Really, that's the worst thing they're doing over there? With all the big problems in those surrounding towns we're here talking about how some people might have an 'attitude' problem in clark?
Racism is not an "attitude problem". It is a sickness that hurts society, which recent studies say is linked with lower IQ. I'd say living around hate-filled people, who prefer the 1960's KKK mindset is a BAD thing, especially if you are a minority. Even for the racists themselves, unless they will stay on "white island", it negatively affects their lives. I'm so glad I read this thread. Definitely will warn others.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Racism is nothing other than a word that we give to a decision making process that all humans and animals naturally have. There is nothing wrong with it if we realize we are all subject to it. Politically correct society makes us all pretend that no one is really racist, yet each and every person is.

Also there is no such thing as a minority, another phony pretend concept.

For instance if we are to survive everyday we are racist against running off the road and crashing into a tree. We would hate to run off the road and crash. Its natural survival and all persons do it. It makes us stay on the straight road and pay attention and make decisions to stay alive.Yet society creates phony unneeded laws that pretend to make hate a crime. Now if someone harms another person, there always have been tons of existing laws against that. Phony taboos about racism and laws against hate are non workable and nonsensical.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Racism is nothing other than a word that we give to a decision making process that all humans and animals naturally have. There is nothing wrong with it if we realize we are all subject to it. Politically correct society makes us all pretend that no one is really racist, yet each and every person is.

Also there is no such thing as a minority, another phony pretend concept.

For instance if we are to survive everyday we are racist against running off the road and crashing into a tree. We would hate to run off the road and crash. Its natural survival and all persons do it. It makes us stay on the straight road and pay attention and make decisions to stay alive.Yet society creates phony unneeded laws that pretend to make hate a crime. Now if someone harms another person, there always have been tons of existing laws against that. Phony taboos about racism and laws against hate are non workable and nonsensical.
Very interesting.

I live in Cranford and have for 20 years and all this time Clark has still been viewed as pretty racist. It is improving but people still joke about it. Not that it's really funny, but I guess it's sort of become custom now for Clark to be honest. At least, it's the butt of jokes whether or not it's still as true as it was years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey