Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2019, 08:22 AM

13 posts, read 11,847 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm posting from Argentina. I'm in the process of relocating to the US. I have a job offer with my current company and have several location options. My short-list is New Jersey around Florham Park (office is there), and then Dallas, TX (I will be posting there too )

We lived 2 years in Golden Valley, MN. Would have loved to get back there, but not an option right now.

We like the NJ option because it's close to NYC and also schools seem to be really good. However I can see the cost of housing and living are significantly higher.

My salary will be in the 100K-110K range. I have two kids (15 and 11). I don't really need to be too close to Florham Park since it's not required for me to go to the office every day.
We would be renting at the beginning. Looking for a 3 BR apt or home. Then will try to buy something after 1 year or so.

What places would you recommend given my description?

Thanks a lot!

German
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 08:50 AM

280 posts, read 336,082 times
Will you have a spouse working as well? Not to scare you, you'll be fine, but in NJ 100-110k with 2 kids can be tight so you'll have to be careful with your budget.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:07 PM

Thanks vinodelotus. My wife will be authorized to work after some months, but the plan is to wait until we settled. Are you able to recommend some places around this area?
Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2019, 07:50 AM

280 posts, read 336,082 times
I would stay in the area around Florham Park. You have so many great towns right in that area and you can surely find a place to rent. Whippany might be your lowest rent option but you'll just have to hunt around for a deal. There really are no bad areas surrounding Florham Park. Try to stay close - NJ commuting is a killer.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:29 AM

10,064 posts, read 6,642,093 times
Florham Park is a nice area and same with most towns in Morris County, except Dover which isnt a bad area but run down due to a high illegal population. Just for some thought, one thing that you might find out about moving to NJ is going to NYC gets very old, tiring and expensive fast, and you will realize why many people from NJ never go into NYC for leisure.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:33 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,512,298 times
Its a nice area, in the mid 1970's I lived shared a house w friends in Morristown and sometimes even bicycled into work in Livingston but usually drove.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,469,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchialli View Post
Hello! I'm posting from Argentina. I'm in the process of relocating to the US. I have a job offer with my current company and have several location options. My short-list is New Jersey around Florham Park (office is there), and then Dallas, TX (I will be posting there too )

We lived 2 years in Golden Valley, MN. Would have loved to get back there, but not an option right now.

We like the NJ option because it's close to NYC and also schools seem to be really good. However I can see the cost of housing and living are significantly higher.

My salary will be in the 100K-110K range. I have two kids (15 and 11). I don't really need to be too close to Florham Park since it's not required for me to go to the office every day.
We would be renting at the I lbeginning. Looking for a 3 BR apt or home. Then will try to buy something after 1 year or so.

What places would you recommend given my description?

Thanks a lot!

German
I live in the town north of Florham Park where I lived my entire life. I am a college student who works part time in Florham Park. Florham Park has lots of office buildings on Vreeland Road and Fernwood Road. That is a nice suburban office development with lots of parking. I love working neighborhoods like that.

Suburbs west of Interstate 287 are more affordable, which is why you see more young couples west of 287. Florham Park is nice to live near. It's a safe neighborhood, has things you need, close to two malls, access to other towns like Morristown. To be honest, I think living in NJ is only doable if you make 100K+. You're good to go! My dad makes $150K, my mom is a stay at home mom, and there are two kids, which are me and my brother, and my parents are able to afford life while paying for our college tuitions. My parents' house is $300K (bought in 1993) btw.

Commuting from Florham Park to NYC is pretty doable, but living a bit more north has access to the highways like Interstate 280 and Interstate 80.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:38 AM

Thank you all for your comments. Really helpful!

Old 05-26-2019, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,133 times
You could rent apartments in Madison area which has fantastic schools. Its very close to Florham park. Go to rent.com for apts. 3Br should cost somewhere between 2500 to 3000/ month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey