Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 10:25 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times

Advertisements

I help my neighbors so I‘ve got some good will “credit” should the need arise. I also have a twin brother who’s pretty handy and lives close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 10:26 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherewhatwho View Post
Have you ever heard of NextDoor? It is a social media type site for your local area. People are always offering their services and asking for recommendations for various things including one time lifting/hauling and such. Check it out. nextdoor.com
Yes, and I thought of NextDoor, but I have a problem with it. I live in a very small town. The people who live behind me are in a different town. When I tried to sign up with Next Door, it insisted on making me part of the other town. I got annoyed, and I ditched it.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:58 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
This varies town to town, some towns have free big item pickup once every 3-4 months. The bigger the town the more likely they do this regularly. It's the smaller towns less than 30,000 that don't have big item removal.

I simply move unwanted furniture and it gets picked up by random folks. Appliances I usually get it removed when I purchase new ones.

This is why NJ towns needs to be merged into bigger municipalities to avoid having all these different rules and services. If we don't do this, the NJ Property taxes and use taxes are out of control. Some towns charge your a lot for big garbage removal, while some towns its included.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:47 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Task Rabbit. I swear by them.
I'll have to look into that. I have stuff that I have to get rid of.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:54 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
no point in hurting yourself. i hate carrying heavy objects.

my mother in law was recently moving from manalapan to matawan. she has a 1 bedroom small apartment and my wife said id have to help. screw that. there is this app called "GoShare" where you can get guys with pick up trucks/vans/etc. whatever is needed to do the job. so she did that and i paid for it. moving stuff sucks.
You might have damaged a fingernail. At least you paid for it.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The dresser I mentioned wasn't worth donating. The previous owners left it, and since I had no furnitureand no money when I bought my condo and it was free, I used it. But the drawers didn't close right, two of the handles fell off, and they had, weirdly, put some of those stick-on tiles like you use to make a cheap kitchen floor on half of the top of the dresser. I thought I'd be able to remove them, but I couldn't.
I got a rep comment that made me say, "huh"? So I went back and looked at my post.

The word "bedroom" should have been before the word "furniture", lol. I had no BEDROOM furniture when I bought my condo except for the single bed that went into the second bedroom for when my dd came home from college. I slept on that until I bought a bed. (And took the free dresser.) I had my living room and dining room furniture and household items in storage for a year up in Bergen County and rented a partially furnished apartment in Monmouth County temporarily while I searched for a condo down here.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:59 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not understanding what you guys mean by "local Facebook group". I am on Facebook, but I don't know of any sort of local group.
Try your Nextdoor app.

It is an app where you are a community with your neighbors and there's all sorts of resources like that.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This varies town to town, some towns have free big item pickup once every 3-4 months. The bigger the town the more likely they do this regularly. It's the smaller towns less than 30,000 that don't have big item removal.

I simply move unwanted furniture and it gets picked up by random folks. Appliances I usually get it removed when I purchase new ones.

This is why NJ towns needs to be merged into bigger municipalities to avoid having all these different rules and services. If we don't do this, the NJ Property taxes and use taxes are out of control. Some towns charge your a lot for big garbage removal, while some towns its included.
Did you wander onto the wrong movie set?

No, you just didn't actually read the first post.

The thread is not about bulk pickup in towns.

I'm really happy for you that you simply move unwanted furniture, but the POINT of this thread is that I NEED SOMEONE TO DO THAT. Got it?

Old 05-23-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I help my neighbors so I‘ve got some good will “credit” should the need arise. I also have a twin brother who’s pretty handy and lives close.
Too bad you and your twin are three thousand miles away!

Old 05-23-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Don’t be afraid to ask a neighbor. I’m sure they’d be happy to help. Also, that doesn’t sound like it’s a 2 man job IMO
I don't see how one person could possibly get that heavy dryer down by himself, but maybe that's because I can't heavy move stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey