Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,329 times

Advertisements

Hello, All:

I've been scouting this forum for information, and would REALLY appreciate some honest insight about the specific question I'm asking. I do not want someone's opinion who live in another town and think Linden is unsafe, or crime-ridden. I have personally always found Linden to be suburban-urban, with hardworking people, and that is why I am considering buying a house there. I found a house near Bower Street, Linden, and am trying to find out if it's a safe neighborhood to buy in. I define "safe" as no gun violence, drugs, or carjacking. I currently live in Iselin, and I understand Linden is not Iselin, but I am okay with being a diligent homeowner as long as the neighborhood is nice and I do not have to worry about violent crimes. I do not have kids, so I do not care about the school system and am looking to buy a house with my sister so she and I can live with our mom. I mean it would be nice to know I can walk around my neighborhood at night, and that my mail won't get stolen if I'm not home, but it's not a deal breaker if that is not the case, lol. I actually put an offer on a house, so I'm trying to get some information on the neighborhood before moving onto next steps. Any assistance in helping me make an informed decision will be appreciated!!!

Edit: I called up Linden town hall and was transferred to the police department, and told by the officer I spoke with that they would not recommend the area, and would rate is 7 or 8 out of 10 in terms of being a dangerous area in Linden. I dont know if people are saying this because they have a problem with diversity or because these neighborhoods are actually dangerous.

Last edited by adultinganddrowning; 05-24-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,329 times
Where are you coming from?
Iselin, NJ

Why are you moving?
Live with family, trying to buy my own place

Where will you be working?
Downtown Newark

Will you buy or rent?
Buy
What is your budget ?
$300k
What kind of place are you looking for?
3bd/1bath

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you?
Mom and sister

Do you need/want good public schools?
No.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in:
Safe, quiet, walkable or short commute to train station.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Safety, short commute to train station and/or Newark, family oriented

Old 05-24-2019, 05:37 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
I too am curious to see what the responses will be. I always assumed Linden was a dump because of what you see from the train as it passes through, but that's not necessarily a good measure of an entire city. I also recall some years ago an African-American woman who was trying to find good daycare mentioning that it was much easier for the "rich white people who live in Linden", so that threw me a bit.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:18 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,143,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adultinganddrowning View Post

Edit: I called up Linden town hall and was transferred to the police department, and told by the officer I spoke with that they would not recommend the area, and would rate is 7 or 8 out of 10 in terms of being a dangerous area in Linden. I dont know if people are saying this because they have a problem with diversity or because these neighborhoods are actually dangerous.
If the local police department is telling you that is not a good area then shouldn't that be enough reason not to buy there? You would rather solicit the opinions of strangers on the internet?

I have friends that used to live in Linden so I'm somewhat familiar with the area. In general, the closer you get to Elizabeth the worse it gets. The farther west you go towards the Parkway the better it gets. My friends lived right near downtown a few blocks from the train station and I never felt unsafe there, even at night.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:40 PM

232 posts, read 278,317 times
There are big polish and slovaks solid working class communities in linden. Only thing I'm not sure about is air quality due to refinery close by.

Last edited by boney89; 05-25-2019 at 08:37 PM..

Old 05-26-2019, 03:19 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,583,343 times
To me it's about density and some parts have more room than otters.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:36 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
To me it's about density and some parts have more room than otters.
This part has a lot of room AND an otter. It's a bit outside of Linden, though.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:22 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,005 times
Well, let's look at some actual data, instead of "a 7 or 8 out of 10":
//www.city-data.com/city/Linden...#mapOSM?mapOSM[zl]=12&mapOSM[c1]=40.624794006347656&mapOSM[c2]=-74.24550247192383&mapOSM[s]=sql49&mapOSM[fs]=false

According to similar sites, Linden's crime rate is above NJ's but it's still below the nation as a whole. Property crime is about average with the nation. Frankly, I think any dangerous connotation is more because it's surrounded by Roselle, Carteret, Rahway, and Cranford who all have much lower crime numbers, but Linden is still statistically safer than Elizabeth.

300K is a pretty big ask these days for a 3BR in any of those towns however, but there's no way anyone can guarantee "no gun violence, drugs, or carjacking," as those are part of living in or near large cities. For example, there were 45 car thefts in Linden last year but Westfield had 28. For the record, Iselin is ranked about two and a half times safer than Linden, so use that as your guide.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:01 AM

390 posts, read 306,857 times
I used to live in Linden in 2006-2007. I lived on E Elizabeth Ave about 2 or 3 blocks from the train station. I rented in that area as a single female. I had no problems. I never had a car break-in or any problems. My commute to Newark (Ironbound area) going up 1&9 took me about 20 minutes.

I still have friends who live there (Brazilian immigrants) and they like it there. Yes, I'd live there again.
Go on crimemaps.com or similar sites and look at crime around the specific neighborhood you're interested in buying.

Old 05-27-2019, 12:32 PM

15 posts, read 15,262 times
Its been several years since I was in linden, but I worked there a year or two repairing railroad track.I remember the strip on st george ave being sketchy, alot of industrial area mixed with clubs,strip joints etc .Alot of drug addicts and drunks , derilict people hanging out around there, not a great area but it could be different now.On the other hand you go further into Linden and the neighborhoods looked pretty nice so I guess it depends on what your looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey