Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 04:55 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Wow, we've been here about the same length of time. It's shocking how much it has changed in just the last 10 years. The way people drive bothers me even more than the number of cars on the road. Constantly speeding, running stop signs. It's 9:20 on a Tuesday and you're heading towards Highlands on 36, we both know you have nowhere to be and all day to get there. But by all means, do 70 and be the next jerk to take out a light pole and flip your car. This happened twice in one week. People did not behave this way when I first moved here. And what I really don't get is, it's all day long. I was a SAHM up until now and all you hear about is how there are no more families without 2 working parents, yet the roads are full of cars all day long. I met a friend in my old neighborhood in Bay Ridge on a weekday morning and the place was a ghost town. Drive by Marshall's at 10 on a weekday and every spot in the lot is taken. My husband took off for an event at my son's school last week. We went to a late breakfast/early lunch and had to wait for a table. Yet half the people are screaming for another cashier, or their check, or the gas attendant like the fate of the world rests on them not waiting for five minutes.
I know! I retired from working full-time three years ago, and I thought how nice it was going to be to run errands on a weekday with nobody on the roads. Didn't take long to find out how wrong that thinking was.

This past Christmas Eve I pulled onto the jug handle to cross 35 to get home. There is a left-turn lane and two straight ones, and a big vehicle, like a landscaping truck carting a trailer was in the right hand straight one and half in the middle lane, where I was, so I couldn't pull up all the way. Fine. Just waiting for the light to turn, everyone will straighten and we'll all be on our way. Some young dick head pulls up behind me and starts leaning on the horn, apparently disturbed that there was empty space in the lane ahead. What do you want me to do, fly over the trailer? The light turns and he pulls around me on the left screaming and giving me the finger and zooms ahead.

LOL, he was at the next red light, where I was turning left to go into my development. Just as I got my green arrow, I rolled down my passenger window, flipped him the bird right back, and yelled MERRY CHRISTMAS and made my turn as he sat there at the light. Doofus.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:38 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Impossible, anywhere there are mass transit there are congestion and lunatics. If you don't want people honking at you, drive faster or ride a uber. I can't recall anyone ever honked at me because very few people ever get close to my taillights on the highway.
I think the best towns in NJ are the ones where you can walk to the train and have local shopping right in the town. Driving anywhere in NJ every day is insanely stressful and dangerous...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 08:47 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
There are places,,, but commuting to NYC is not super quick.
First place that popped to mind when I saw the OP's question is Green Pond, NJ.

No trains up that way since the olden days of mining who knows what century and that would not head towards NYC either. Actually I think there's bus service next town over in Newfoundland at that spur off Rt 23.

Kingwood Twsp also is similar but further west past Flemington.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:49 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I think the best towns in NJ are the ones where you can walk to the train and have local shopping right in the town. Driving anywhere in NJ every day is insanely stressful and dangerous...

If you find the simple act of driving in NJ “insanely stressful and dangerous†I feel bad at the thought of you handle actual life challenges.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:55 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Mendham, Chester and Long Valley. Either drive into the City, or train (express) from Morristown.

Just being realistic, the further out you go to find peace and quiet, the longer the commute. Figure 90 to 120 minutes, each way, to get where you want to be.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:05 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
If you find the simple act of driving in NJ “insanely stressful and dangerous†I feel bad at the thought of you handle actual life challenges.
Yes I find "the simple act of driving in NJ" during rush hour stressful and dangerous. Roughly 500 people a year die driving in the state, many more get injured. I can assure you that I am not the only one who has issues with rush hour traffic.

Believe or not, I do OK with actual life challenges. Thank you for your concern...

Old 06-03-2019, 12:03 PM

480 posts, read 480,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
There are places,,, but commuting to NYC is not super quick. First place that popped to mind when I saw the OP's question is Green Pond, NJ. No trains up that way since the olden days of mining who knows what century and that would not head towards NYC either. Actually I think there's bus service next town over in Newfoundland at that spur off Rt 23. Kingwood Twsp also is similar but further west past Flemington.
The problem with those areas is that though the lifestyle in those areas may be relaxing, the commute to NYC from those areas is anything but. We know folks who just commute to Parsippany, Newark, etc...from here who hate the drive with a passion. I commute to Warren County for work and my wife doesn't even have to leave Hunterdon-which we thank God for every day

Old 06-03-2019, 12:14 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
The problem with those areas is that though the lifestyle in those areas may be relaxing, the commute to NYC from those areas is anything but. We know folks who just commute to Parsippany, Newark, etc...from here who hate the drive with a passion. I commute to Warren County for work and my wife doesn't even have to leave Hunterdon-which we thank God for every day
My sister is in Sussex County and commutes to just Paramus, and that sounds pretty stressful to me, especially in bad weather. She really wanted to live a little more "out" though, and so she puts up with it.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:33 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Yes I find "the simple act of driving in NJ" during rush hour stressful and dangerous. Roughly 500 people a year die driving in the state, many more get injured.
... and yet, I have been able to drive in those conditions for the past 49 years without so much as a scratch on my body or any of my vehicles. So much of the outcome of one's daily driving has to do with one's driving skill, as well as one's tolerance of stress. If you have never taken a Defensive Driving course, you might want to consider doing so, as it will give you a greater ability for coping with stressful driving situations, as well as potentially improving your confidence and your skills.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:14 AM

23,551 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-to-nj View Post
Is there anywhere in New Jersey that has a completely chilled out pace of life. That is right next to NYC?

- No road rage
- Nobody in a rush
- No angry people in cars honking outside my window or racing to beat pedestrians on a crosswalk
- Definitely no crime
- Nothing like New York City, but just a train ride away?

I've been to Jersey City, Newark, Paramus, Patterson, Morristown and even Montclair and they miss the bar on all the above. Is there anywhere where I can have the same pace of life as the Midwest in the NYC area?

Some places I've been to that come close but still are not relaxed enough for my liking are: Franklin Lakes and Ramapo.
just create and endless loop of "Imagine" by the Beattles. and everyplace can be your undeliverable childhood fantasy.

So again, NJ is simply a sleep over hobo village near NYC.

Want to be near NYC, live in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey