Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 06:44 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdog5 View Post
Actually - the Glenwood section used to be a lake... water table there is very high, and generally high in much of Short Hills.

Flooded basements can occure due to run off from above or rising water table from below... latter is a bigger problem in much of the short hills neighborhoods as the SH water table is generally high. But that's just general.. depth can be different on a house by house basis depending on many factors...
LOL, when was it a lake? Actually the Short Hills water table is not high .Most flooded basements in Shorts Hills are do to the foundations being old and not water proofed . Again the rents bought the house in 61(it was 94 years old then) and had it for 38 years and had two flooded basements ...not what I would call a flood zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 01:23 PM

74 posts, read 118,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, when was it a lake? Actually the Short Hills water table is not high .Most flooded basements in Shorts Hills are do to the foundations being old and not water proofed . Again the rents bought the house in 61(it was 94 years old then) and had it for 38 years and had two flooded basements ...not what I would call a flood zone.
A realtor told me! And as I type that I realize the error of my ways (no offense to realtors).

Old 06-30-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
A realtor told me! And as I type that I realize the error of my ways (no offense to realtors).
LOL, no problem .There is just no way was that ever a lake.

Old 06-30-2019, 10:20 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Realtor was correct; there was a lake where Glenwood Drive and Millburn Ave intersect (on the north side), and another one where the Short Hills Garden Apartments are. The whole area south of Millburn Ave was pretty swampy. This was on the 1921 maps; it's modern looking by 1947.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Realtor was correct; there was a lake where Glenwood Drive and Millburn Ave intersect (on the north side), and another one where the Short Hills Garden Apartments are. The whole area south of Millburn Ave was pretty swampy. This was on the 1921 maps; it's modern looking by 1947.
No he wasn't.
..............yes there were ponds around in the extreme early days as this map and link will tell you put the area in question was never a lake. Pretty sure the Mill as in Millburn was on the Passaic River.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millburn,_New_Jersey

Millburn was created as a township by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 20, 1857, from portions of Springfield Township, when Union County was formed.[24] Earlier known variously as Milltown, Millville, Rum Brook and Vauxhall, the name "Millburn" was adopted before the township was established. The township's name derives from the burn (Scottish for a stream) that powered mills in the area.

https://www.mshhistsoc.org/sites/def...lls1859Map.jpg

Old 06-30-2019, 07:34 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Most of the mills were on the West Branch of the Rahway, since the Passaic goes nowhere near Millburn. Your map shows both of the lakes in question (I guess "pond" might be a better word) -- one is under the name Wm Godwell, that's where the Short Hills Garden Apartments are. And one is on the lower left of the map near the name C.B. Lewis, that's where Glenwood Ave meets Millburn Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey