Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 9,790 times

Advertisements

Hi. Hoping someone can advise me. I’ve just spent the best part of an hour on hold with the DMV looking for advice and not yet spoken to a person,so am wondering if anyone has been through this.

So I live in NJ. I just bought a used car privately out of state. ( MA. ). I have the sellers MA title in my possession and on the rear, it is assigned to me. My challenge is the seller has made a typo on the sale price $ and multiplied it by a factor of 10. As an example, rather than note the sale price as 8k, he has recorded it as 80k.

There is a statement on the back of the title that says something like - “any white out/ cross outs etc invalidate this assignment. “

I know government and in particular the dmv are sticklers for rules. Am I going to be able to walk in and tell them the stated sale price is a typo, perhaps with an image of the check I used to buy it and a bill of sale to back me up or do I need to go through the hassle of a duplicate MA title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 11:44 AM

Obviously this is an issue for me as I will be charged sales tax on the car when I transfer the title into my name and I’d rather pay 8% of 8k than 8% of 80k which would near enough double the purchase price for me.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:55 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
That is a tricky question yes. If you F with the title by using whiteout or erasing it can easily invalidate the entire thing. And even people at NJ MVC might have different answers between themselves.

I believe there used to be a separate office in Trenton that dealt with and processed titles, don't know if that is the case but I would search for and ask them.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:03 PM

On this page is an extension number so maybe you can get through to them quicker?

https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/vehicles/titlenew.htm

Old 06-03-2019, 12:06 PM

Obviously this is an issue for me as I will be charged sales tax on the car when I transfer the title into my name and I’d rather pay 8% of 8k than 8% of 80k which would near enough double the purchase price for me.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:07 PM

Thanks. Yeah I figured it might very well depend who at the dmv I talk to and how much they like the look of me/ how their day is going before they get to me etc. I’ll give that 2nd # a try. Thanks.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:16 PM

That # was a much quicker wait time. So for info, the DMV helpline they told me that they should accept what is on the bill of sale. (The correct amount). Hopefully this isn’t a case of either telling me what I want to hear to get me off the phone or “depends who you talk to”. I guess I’ll try the agency in person and see how it goes. Will update this thread afterwards.

Old 06-06-2019, 12:27 PM

SPOILER: It didn't go well.

So, having spoken to the DMV on the phone, I went there full of hope, only for it to be cruelly dashed! Those people are real charmers. Full of human empathy and common sense. I could write a million words, but suffice it to say I gave up. I'm going to get the seller to order a replacement title and go from there.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:40 PM

Wow either that or try another office of the MVC,,, that HUMAN factor,,, sometimes diff people or groups do things differently. Also I was thinking if the so called NADA value is no where near what the mistaken price is,,,maybe they could figure that out? I know,,, that takes common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey