Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 5,076 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from?
Southern California - 45 mins from Palm Springs, 1.5 hours from LA, 45 minutes from Big Bear Lake

Why are you moving?
New career opportunity!

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
in NYC .. West of SoHo/South of Hudson Square

Will you buy or rent?
Buy ... no renting!

What is your budget ?
I don't want to spend more than $450k.

What kind of place are you looking for?
Something with a yard! I have 2 Huskies (A 120lbs Alaskan Malamute, and a 45lbs Siberian Husky!)

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you?
I am single, and no kids.

Do you need/want good public schools?
Nah!

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
Somewhere close to transportation that can get me to where I need conveniently. However, I prefer scenery over concrete. Trying to stick to a commute that is less than an hour, if possible.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
A yard! A short commute! For the third one... Umm....Beer?

So hi all. I had never been to NYC until I flew out there last week for my job interview, and now they want to hire me. I have been looking up and down the coast of NJ to find a reasonable spot to move, and I think I found it... Atlantic Highlands, NJ. I don't mind paying $700 for a monthly boat pass, if that means my mortgage is less than 2,200 a month.

With that said, are there any other town recommendations I should look into? Any pros/cons of living in the Highlands I should be aware of? I'm trying to find a commute that isn't outrageously long, and a space with a yard. Which is apparently, very difficult in my price range. However, I came across the little gem of a town called Atlantic Highlands! Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 05:24 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
I think given your lack of knowledge of this side of the country, you should seriously rent for a while as you start becoming acquainted.

Old 06-14-2019, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I think given your lack of knowledge of this side of the country, you should seriously rent for a while as you start becoming acquainted.
Thanks for the response! Anything I should be concerned about in particular? Renting is difficult with the 2 animals I have. They are my kids and they go where I go.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:32 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
Thanks for the response! Anything I should be concerned about in particular? Renting is difficult with the 2 animals I have. They are my kids and they go where I go.
You're right ... it's tough finding a rental with big dogs.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:28 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,179,553 times
It's a seller's market so not a good time to buy. Atlantic Highlands is out of your price range. Try looking in Keansburg, Keyport, Cliffwood Beach, Union Beach and Aberdeen. If you are handy, you can find a fixer-upper for less than $100,000. It's about a 15 minute drive to the Seastreak terminal. Or you can take a NJ Transit bus into NYC or drive to the South Amboy train station and take the train to Penn Station.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:37 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
I would not have thought of Atlantic highlands but I think it just might work for you. Certainly worth checking out.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
You're right ... it's tough finding a rental with big dogs.
As much as I love my dogs, this does make moving more difficult. Oh well, they're family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
It's a seller's market so not a good time to buy. Atlantic Highlands is out of your price range. Try looking in Keansburg, Keyport, Cliffwood Beach, Union Beach and Aberdeen. If you are handy, you can find a fixer-upper for less than $100,000. It's about a 15 minute drive to the Seastreak terminal. Or you can take a NJ Transit bus into NYC or drive to the South Amboy train station and take the train to Penn Station.
I can afford a little more, it's just that I don't want to.I'm willing to put up to 100k as a down payment, but I really don't want to, if I can help it. However, I will certainly look into those alternative suggestions! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
I would not have thought of Atlantic highlands but I think it just might work for you. Certainly worth checking out.
Hopefully! I have my eye on a couple of houses there already, I just need to go in person in a couple weeks if they're still on the market and check them out in person.

Thanks again, everyone!

Old 06-17-2019, 08:19 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
I'm on board with you buying but you should do yourself a favor and "move" to Atlantic Highlands for a week.

Leave the dogs at home, find an AirBNB and spend two or three days in a row commuting to the city, be a tourist all day, and then come home at your regular time. See if it seems like a reasonable thing to do. I'm recommending more than once because you want bad weather if you can get it and see what things will be like in November.

If you're cool with it over a few days, great, spend the rest of your time looking for a place to buy. If not, see if there's another commute or town that you think would work better. Things happen, ferries get cancelled and trains, well, there's all kinds of train issues, but I always recommend a place that has more than one public transit option if you can. There's also the idea that you might spend the evening in the City seeing a show or catching a movie with friends, so that "late night" 10 PM boat probably isn't going to be late enough and then it's a train to a bus and a much longer haul.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
I'm on board with you buying but you should do yourself a favor and "move" to Atlantic Highlands for a week.

Leave the dogs at home, find an AirBNB and spend two or three days in a row commuting to the city, be a tourist all day, and then come home at your regular time. See if it seems like a reasonable thing to do. I'm recommending more than once because you want bad weather if you can get it and see what things will be like in November.
I'm flying out for a week, in a couple of weeks and want to spend both weekends there. Definitely a good plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
If you're cool with it over a few days, great, spend the rest of your time looking for a place to buy. If not, see if there's another commute or town that you think would work better. Things happen, ferries get cancelled and trains, well, there's all kinds of train issues, but I always recommend a place that has more than one public transit option if you can.

There's also the idea that you might spend the evening in the City seeing a show or catching a movie with friends, so that "late night" 10 PM boat probably isn't going to be late enough and then it's a train to a bus and a much longer haul.
Excellent advice as well. I've thought about the limitations with having the Ferry as my main mode of transportation. Want to go bar hopping after 10PM? Forget about it...or get a hotel room.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:55 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
No, not the weekends, you won't know what actual conditions are like during the week. Weekends aren't going to be crowded, the schedule isn't going to be the same, you really need to do this on at least one weekday.

Having even just spent a weekend on Staten Island, it's more like "no bars after 9:30" since you have to get to the waterfront and then get on board, by five til, they leave with no waiting and you don't want to be late!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey