Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:14 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,241,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
1. During commute hours it will definitely be standing room only a lot of the time. Especially, if there's an event at the Meadowlands and/or MSG.

2. Check NJ Transit for the time tables. There are commute trains that are only 60 minutes from both Princeton Junction and Hamilton. You can get monthly parking passes at both stations but it will cost you.

3. Craig's List, Padmapper, etc etc. Good luck with in unit washer dryer, though.

Why that particular area? Seems to me a 60 minute train ride north from Penn station could meet your criteria, too.

Standing room only during commuting hours tends to depend on where the train originates from & if it's an express or local. Unless something has changed since I commuted in to the city.

First pick up on the train I took was Princeton Jct. Also the last drop off...friend of mine fell asleep, was supposed to get off at Jersey Ave and ended up in Princeton.

I always tried to catch the 7:10 Express out of New Brunswick - the only two stops before New Brunswick were Princeton Jct. and Jersey Ave. Nothing originated in NB, yet still plenty of seats. That was years ago, so again, I don't know how much has changed.

I will find out tomorrow morning as it's my 20 year old's first day of his summer internship and he will be commuting from NB to NY Penn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 08:12 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,530,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Standing room only during commuting hours tends to depend on where the train originates from & if it's an express or local. Unless something has changed since I commuted in to the city.

First pick up on the train I took was Princeton Jct. Also the last drop off...friend of mine fell asleep, was supposed to get off at Jersey Ave and ended up in Princeton.

I always tried to catch the 7:10 Express out of New Brunswick - the only two stops before New Brunswick were Princeton Jct. and Jersey Ave. Nothing originated in NB, yet still plenty of seats. That was years ago, so again, I don't know how much has changed.

I will find out tomorrow morning as it's my 20 year old's first day of his summer internship and he will be commuting from NB to NY Penn.
Exactly. Most commuters would rather take the express so they spend the least amount of time on the train. If you're getting on at PJ, chances are better you'll get a seat than if you're getting on at Secaucus. Reverse that and you might get a seat after a bunch of people get off at Secaucus and Newark at night, but it's not guaranteed.

I typically take the 6:39pm and it's SRO more often than not. Last night I took the 9:35pm and there were people standing.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:54 AM

12 posts, read 9,921 times
Hi Everyone -

My family is considering a move to the Princeton. I was hoping to get some clarity on a few items regarding the commute times to PENN station and/or driving to midtown.

1. Trains leaving Penn at 3:07, 3:30 or 4:13 to Princeton Junction | Are these specific trains overly crowded in a non-covid era? Would you get a seat if you were getting on the train at Penn station?

2. What is the true commute time of the train to Princeton Junction that leaves at 3:30 | Looking at the printed Northeast Corridor map it looks like it leaves Penn at 3:30 and arrives at 4:40, but there are a bunch of L's next to the stops which implies it often leaves early. Would love to know a more accurate time length for that train. The 4:13 train looks to be the express one, but I'd be leaving work much sooner than that one..

3 DRIVING | Does anyone do the drive from Princeton in through the Lincoln tunnel to midtown? When does the traffic start building up - I'd be arriving in the city at 7am, so I'm guessing I wouldn't have much traffic on the way in? maybe 1:15, 1:20min? What about coming home, if I was leaving at 3PM? Would love to know what that commute time looks like with traffic.

Thanks so much for any insights you can provide!

Best,
Jay

Old 10-19-2020, 11:26 AM

182 posts, read 135,434 times
That commute from the Princeton area is brutal. Don’t do it.

I would check out communities in Bergen County. Great elementary schools and a budget of $2,200 may equate to a very small apartment.

Old 10-19-2020, 03:33 PM

9,036 posts, read 6,083,802 times
I would look at Summit NJ. The schools are excellent and the train ride into Penn Station (NY) is about 50 minutes. Some of the rush hour trains are only 40 minutes.

Some real estate listings:
https://www.zillow.com/b/412-morris-...mit-nj-5XrpHC/
https://www.zillow.com/b/86-park-ave-summit-nj-BDVssp/
https://www.zillow.com/b/constantine...mit-nj-5XjPSj/

Old 10-20-2020, 12:08 PM

12 posts, read 9,921 times
Thanks for the feedback. We've definitely visited Summit (and Montclair too) but it felt like Princeton was more our speed, and liked the downtown/university feel, the larger property sizes outside of town, blended with good schools.

It looks like the commute is 55 min express to Penn from Princeton Junction (which is right near my workplace). Is that train ride packed and dreadful too? I'd be on a train in the morning arriving at Penn a little before 7am, and heading home a little after 3pm...

Old 10-20-2020, 02:39 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,180,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertynyc View Post
It looks like the commute is 55 min express to Penn from Princeton Junction (which is right near my workplace). Is that train ride packed and dreadful too? I'd be on a train in the morning arriving at Penn a little before 7am, and heading home a little after 3pm...
You'll get a place to sit, if that's your primary concern. Even during rush hours, seats are not that much of a problem until Newark Penn, where the train gets really packed.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:28 PM

4 posts, read 4,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topmost.phodu View Post
Hi,
I currently rent at Stamford, CT. My workplace is near NY Penn Station.
I have decided to move and rent in NJ in either one of these locations: Princeton, Plainsboro or West Windsor.
The main reason for the move is better school district.

I am new to NJ, can you please shed some light on the following:
1. Princeton -> NY Penn (and vice-versa). How crowded are the trains during peak commute hours? Would I get a seat during rush hours, or would I have to stand? I'd rather not stand for 60-70 minutes!!
2. What is the Parking situation at Princeton Junction? Can I park there? How early would I need to arrive to catch the train?
3. Some rental apartments suggestions. Must haves are a) Great elementary school b) Gas cooktop c) In-unit washer-drier. d) 2-Bed and the budget is $2200/month.

Would really appreciate some help/information. Thanks in advance.
Hi. A fellow CT to NJ mover here. What is your impression of the area so far? Have you bought somewhere yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey