Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 10:16 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,316,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You can keep FL.

I don't consider winter gloomy. You go outside to fresh snow that is so pretty. Driving, you see the snow & ice on trees, like a post card.

I love the spring, everything starting to come up. I love watching the various changes starting with the crocus that come up 1st, to the foresythea flowering the same time as the pears with tulips & daffs. The other trees start blooming when the others start to leaf out, then the color really begins.

I'm excited. My Redbud is starting to bloom, daffs & tulips have been blooming, next come the iris, roses & perennials. By the time winter comes I'm tired and want to mellow out and work inside.
I agree. I moved to Florida as a teenager and I hate the weather here. It's either hot or raining. And we may not have winter here but from early October thru Thanksgiving you can't plan anything because a damn hurricane is sure to arrive. Every year my high schools homecoming dance and football game was rescheduled due to hurricane warnings.

The mosquitoes here are awful, can't even stand to be outside after sunset in the summer. The traffic is bad, made worse by the fact that the county decides to work on every highway in the city at the same time so you have closed lanes and construction going on everywhere.

To me Florida is the ultimate vacation state when you have a wide range of age groups - but I hate living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,338,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I agree. I moved to Florida as a teenager and I hate the weather here. It's either hot or raining. And we may not have winter here but from early October thru Thanksgiving you can't plan anything because a damn hurricane is sure to arrive. Every year my high schools homecoming dance and football game was rescheduled due to hurricane warnings.

The mosquitoes here are awful, can't even stand to be outside after sunset in the summer. The traffic is bad, made worse by the fact that the county decides to work on every highway in the city at the same time so you have closed lanes and construction going on everywhere.

To me Florida is the ultimate vacation state when you have a wide range of age groups - but I hate living here.
Agreed. There are a few places that I wouldn't mind living in the state. I definitely prefer the north though. I'll take freezing my ass off any day than sweating it off! . But it is a wonderful vacation state.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:57 AM

7 posts, read 30,421 times
Cool Millville New Jersey

to the topic of people in south jersey.
Went back after 40 years, found old classmates and renewed friendships. I found a common bond of courtesy, honesty, and caring. Cannot believe how time and gravity has made a difference, but everyone still has that great sense of humor, and candor which we had in high school. Memories have definitely NOT faded, and have been re-inforced with contact.

The town is finally going to flourish due to the new motorsports racetrack and Arts district. It will be bustling starting August and thereafter. It will never look or be the same--sad--but what town really is these days. The joy of finding those kids I grew up with makes me realize how living in Florida, where everyone is from somewhere else and has no roots here, has been a mistake. But, we live and learn. There is something to be said for staying the course in your old hometown, if you can, since those kids you knew will support each other now, and fondly remember the good ol days.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:43 PM

119 posts, read 471,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You can keep FL.

I don't consider winter gloomy. You go outside to fresh snow that is so pretty. Driving, you see the snow & ice on trees, like a post card.
\
But... it doesn't really snow much in NJ. You don't see snow and ice on trees everyday, if at all, in the winter. Most of it is overcast ugliness with bald trees and bland landscape.

I personally don't know if i'd prefer FL to NJ these days, but I certainly could go without ever seeing much of the winters in NJ ever again. I would prefer a hot day over a bitter cold day personally. At least you can do stuff. In January in NJ, all you can do is hibernate. It's too cold to do anything. Even most of the Spring in NJ sucks. You get a few nice days and a whole bunch of cold, rainy days.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 PM

23,790 posts, read 33,264,650 times
I do stuff outside starting in February or January if we've had a mild winter. When you garden there is much to do to prep for spring

Old 05-09-2008, 08:44 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,338,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjh20 View Post
But... it doesn't really snow much in NJ. You don't see snow and ice on trees everyday, if at all, in the winter. Most of it is overcast ugliness with bald trees and bland landscape.

I personally don't know if i'd prefer FL to NJ these days, but I certainly could go without ever seeing much of the winters in NJ ever again. I would prefer a hot day over a bitter cold day personally. At least you can do stuff. In January in NJ, all you can do is hibernate. It's too cold to do anything. Even most of the Spring in NJ sucks. You get a few nice days and a whole bunch of cold, rainy days.
That all depends on the individual. I personally handle the cold, much, much better than the heat of here (FL). I love going out in winter (I can spend from dawn to dusk outside easily...just takes the proper clothes, food, and drink to maintain necessary warmth in most cases) - and even in the case of rain; unless it's pouring, there's always really warm socks, insulated boots, and umbrellas.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:03 PM

18 posts, read 66,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena121 View Post
Florida is booooring...
Hot hot hot, bugs, bugs,the noise of A/C day and night..
I like the change in weather, the fresh air..I didn't feel any fresh air in Florida ..However; i stayed there during the August and September and assume that the other months would be better..
I could live in both so I don't mind that much...(I don't speak spanish yet..)
I choose NJ..

wow your such a credible source. You've been down there August and September the 2 hottest months. Spanish? I dont know what area you are speaking for but you cant be speaking for the whole state. I lived in Pinellas county and there wasnt many spanish people. I love how people visit ONE place in Florida and make it the WHOLE state.

Its in the 40's and raining today in NJ and its MAY!!! LOL thats just retarded. I think Id rather sweat a little than sit here and blow steam out my mouth on a May afternoon! One sunny day per 5 days aint cuttin it. This area sucks ass when it comes to weather. Just as many bugs here in August and September as there. Hmm...

Sound of A/C...sounds just like that heater thats always running when you live in NJ. And fresh air? How does Florida's life longevity outlast New Jerseys? Does cooler (fresh) air really make you feel fresh and healthy?

Well whatever...everyone has their opinion. But some peoples opinion are not even true. But in their head it is...so its ok.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:06 PM

18 posts, read 66,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
from early October thru Thanksgiving you can't plan anything because a damn hurricane is sure to arrive. Every year my high schools homecoming dance and football game was rescheduled due to hurricane warnings. .

Im talking about CENTRAL FLORIDA! I dont care where you live. Central Florida rarely gets hurricanes.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,590,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkhead View Post
wow your such a credible source. You've been down there August and September the 2 hottest months. Spanish? I dont know what area you are speaking for but you cant be speaking for the whole state. I lived in Pinellas county and there wasnt many spanish people. I love how people visit ONE place in Florida and make it the WHOLE state.

Its in the 40's and raining today in NJ and its MAY!!! LOL thats just retarded. I think Id rather sweat a little than sit here and blow steam out my mouth on a May afternoon! One sunny day per 5 days aint cuttin it. This area sucks ass when it comes to weather. Just as many bugs here in August and September as there. Hmm...

Sound of A/C...sounds just like that heater thats always running when you live in NJ. And fresh air? How does Florida's life longevity outlast New Jerseys? Does cooler (fresh) air really make you feel fresh and healthy?

Well whatever...everyone has their opinion. But some peoples opinion are not even true. But in their head it is...so its ok.
I love how people visit ONE place in New Jersey and make it the WHOLE state.

(maybe you should practice what you preach, lol )

Old 05-12-2008, 07:50 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,812,373 times
I spent the first 24 years of my life in South Jersey- Burlington County (with the exception of college).

I then moved to Florida and have been happy here for the last 15 years.

What I miss about NJ is the food, WaWa, the boardwalks, and my family.

What I don't miss are the obnoxious personalities, the aggressive drivers, the ugly, gray winters. Nothing up there seems clean or new- even new things seem to be dingy and dirty.

But most of them have already relocated to the town in Northeast Florida where I live. And like me, they've never looked back.

You can experience a change of seasons in Florida- I'm in the St. Augustine area and we get frosts, occasional flurries, and beautiful transition (Spring & Fall) seasons. I would never live anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey