Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 12:28 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times

Advertisements

Getting there from Penn means you make some transfers but at you can get to the 6 or the Q fairly easily with a transfer that takes you crosstown. It's the uptown bus to go across Manhattan that's the time suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 01:55 PM

96 posts, read 116,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
i'd like to hear how you calculated it as 40 minutes. and tell me how long it would take from penn station too. i don't think you know how to calculate the actual commute times. where in the upper east side exactly?
That is Google maps doing the calculating, during rush hour times. 59th, which is the border between upper and midtown. Definitely not midtown convenient to Penn or PABT.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 PM

595 posts, read 1,558,510 times
upper east side is too broad of an area. unless you pinpoint what part, its a lot of guessing from everyone here. and how long is it from penn station? also dont forget, for the NJ transit train stations you need a parking spot.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduflow View Post
upper east side is too broad of an area. unless you pinpoint what part, its a lot of guessing from everyone here. and how long is it from penn station? also dont forget, for the NJ transit train stations you need a parking spot.
Post above I said it was 59th; takes my husband 20-30 minutes to the office from Penn. He already does this when he goes down there every few weeks.

I really am open to suggestions! Even if I sound contrary. I love the idea of a shorter GWB commute and lower taxes, if it’s realistic.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:30 PM

59th barely counts as upper east side since its border between upper east side and midtown. big difference to what people normally refer to as UES

Old 07-12-2019, 06:28 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
Look, they put in the address and know their commute, they don't want to go through the GWB. It looks like you're attacking them for calling something the UES.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:52 PM

lol GWB wouldnt make sense for 59th st. thats why i said big difference

Old 07-15-2019, 11:10 AM

478 posts, read 1,229,897 times
Train ride from Walnut St in Montclair is about 15min shorter than Madison so how you get to the station can make or break it. My son commuted last year from Walnut to UES (60's). He took the F to 63/Lex. Not a bad commute IF NJT can get their act together on the trains.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:55 AM

56 posts, read 34,454 times
When I moved to where I live in NJ in 2001, I worked in Summit and didn't concern myself with commuting to NYC. For the past two years I have been commuting to Midtown from Madison via NJ Transit. Here's what I've learned:

1. try to avoid NJ Transit and any other train that passes through Penn Station; the person who said the Morris & Essex line isn't all that bad can't be using it. Google the Hudson River tunnel issue; if it collapses, your property values may collapse along with it. (property values along the M&E line increased greatly when Midtown Direct came along). Also Google 'engineer unavailability' and 'equipment unavailability', as well as 'Penn Station overcrowding'. I'm just talking about trains being canceled and the resulting delays and overcrowding (not even getting into the homeless shelter that Penn Station is);
2. speaking of homeless shelters, try to stay off the subway, as it has become a moving homeless shelter, with the result being that people are sleeping across the seats, as well as eating and relieving themselves; it is quite unpleasant;
3. if you're determined to be in NJ, try to stay out of Essex County (which is where Millburn is). When I moved from Essex County to Morris County (where Madison is), not only did my property taxes go way down, but my car insurance premiums greatly decreased as well.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingQuaker View Post
1. try to avoid NJ Transit and any other train that passes through Penn Station;
Do you take the bus? I’m intrigued by Boxcar, and would probably opt for that for my once-a-week commute. It’s too early for my husband, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey