Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2019, 07:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Just asking here but is there a link to that.
I haven't had a lot of luck with Google Books links but here you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 07:49 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
What I found most interesting is Montclair Golf Club. Unlike the other clubs with a reputation for being restricted clubs, Montclair was actually open to Jews by the time of the report. Montclair became very liberal during the 60s, so i guess I shouldn’t be too surprised about that.

Technically, it is in West Orange, but it draws much of it’s membership from Montclair. I think West Orange has more golf courses than any other town in the area. Maybe more than any town in NJ. Off the top of my head, I am counting 5, if you include Francis Byrne, which is a public course. I guess Rock Spring is public now too since the town bought it last year.

Essex County Country Club in West Orange is known for being one of the best courses in the country. They were restricted at the time of the report. Maybe 10 years ago, they were seriously hurting for members (and money), so they let in a lot of new members, including many Jews. I have several friends there, that told me there was a big culture clash between the old guard and the new members, but that has smoothed out since then.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:51 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Very true. At one time we depended on charity to provide much of the healthcare in the country, and most of that came from religious institutions. Nuns were often nurses, and the hospital administration was made up of clergymen. Many of these hospitals still carry the original names, like Saint Vincent’s, Saint Joseph’s, etc. The Jewish answer to this was to build hospitals like Mt. Sinai, Beth Israel, etc.
Recently, I read Bellevue, a history of NY's famous (or, infamous?) public hospital. In addition to recounting Bellevue's history, the author--Pulitzer Prize Winner David Oshinsky--also provides an excellent account of early epidemics and the overall history of healthcare in NYC.

Presbyterian Hospital catered to--naturally--members of that sect. St. Luke's was for Episcopalians. St. Francis Hospital served the German Catholic community, and Columbus Hospital was established to care for non-English-speaking Italians. In that segregated environment, the first Jewish hospital was established in NYC in 1855, on West 28th Street between 7th & 8th Avenues. It would later move its location and change its name to Mt. Sinai Hospital, but its original name was Jews' Hospital.

Last edited by Retriever; 10-22-2019 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-22-2019, 06:19 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Thank you for that. According to your link the Short Hills club was restricted but there is no mention of the Racguets Club in Short Hills or the Canoe Brook CC in Summit.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Thank you for that. According to your link the Short Hills club was restricted but there is no mention of the Racguets Club in Short Hills or the Canoe Brook CC in Summit.
It says what I have been telling you. That there were zero Jewish members it Canoe Brook in the 60s and 70s.

It also says there were zero black members.

Look at the legend. xb = black and xj = Jewish. There are zeros in both columns.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:43 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
It says what I have been telling you. That there were zero Jewish members it Canoe Brook in the 60s and 70s.

Look at the legend. xb = black and xj = Jewish. There are zeros in both columns.
Thank you

Old 10-23-2019, 07:39 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:

I understand what it said and I am telling you that I know two Jewish Families that went to Canoe Brook in the 70's and a whole boat load of Catholics that belonged to the Racquets Club. As for the Black memebers I am not surprised there where zero Blacks living in Millburn in the 60's and 70's unless they were employed as domestics.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I understand what it said and I am telling you that I know two Jewish Families that went to Canoe Brook in the 70's and a whole boat load of Catholics that belonged to the Racquets Club. As for the Black memebers I am not surprised there where zero Blacks living in Millburn in the 60's and 70's unless they were employed as domestics.
It seemed like they were pretty thorough. They knew which clubs had only a few Jews or blacks, and they even differentiated clubs that had 1 “token” Jew or black person. Token was even the word they used. If two Jewish families were members there, would they be so careless to miss them, while they were so thorough to root out the 1 token Jew at some other clubs?

Old 10-24-2019, 12:57 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,630,083 times
Quote:
It seemed like they were pretty thorough. They knew which clubs had only a few Jews or blacks, and they even differentiated clubs that had 1 “token” Jew or black person. Token was even the word they used. If two Jewish families were members there, would they be so careless to miss them, while they were so thorough to root out the 1 token Jew at some other clubs?

They ask you your race when you join a country club?

Old 10-24-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
They ask you your race when you join a country club?
You mean religion?

The way it is set up, even now, they don't have to ask you. With Country Clubs, at least the exclusive ones, you have to be invited by a member. And in my club, you need a certain number of additional member’s to vouch for you.

Back in those times, someone was not going to risk their own membership, and reputation, inviting someone who “doesn’t belong”. “What if it gets out that they are Jews???” It would not be good for the people that invited and vouched for them.

As far as race, it was a lot more obvious back then which race you were. There wasn’t that much interracial marriage. There was pretty much just black and white in the area. I suppose if you were black, and you could somehow pass for white, enough to get invited by a member, and then approved, you would be getting away with something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey