Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 06:13 AM

8 posts, read 22,710 times

Advertisements

As a current (and 20 year) resident of MSH, I find this conversation so frustrating. There are people of all religions, races, creeds living here. MSH is becoming more diverse, with an expanding Asian population, and a tiny, but growing, African American population.

Is it less WASPy than in the past? Yes. But, the implication that WASP = racist and so therefore if there are less WASPs, the town must be less racist is ridiculous and offensive.

Are there entitled rich people of all religions and races living in MSH? DEFINITELY. Is the high school a reflection of the high-performing parents who live here? Yes. Many parents put a lot of pressure on their kids to perform, sometimes too much pressure IMO. But, it's a lovely place to live, with excellent schools and kind, friendly people who care about their town and the people who live in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 07:44 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memc2000 View Post
As a current (and 20 year) resident of MSH, I find this conversation so frustrating. There are people of all religions, races, creeds living here. MSH is becoming more diverse, with an expanding Asian population, and a tiny, but growing, African American population.

Is it less WASPy than in the past? Yes. But, the implication that WASP = racist and so therefore if there are less WASPs, the town must be less racist is ridiculous and offensive.

Are there entitled rich people of all religions and races living in MSH? DEFINITELY. Is the high school a reflection of the high-performing parents who live here? Yes. Many parents put a lot of pressure on their kids to perform, sometimes too much pressure IMO. But, it's a lovely place to live, with excellent schools and kind, friendly people who care about their town and the people who live in it.
That's good to hear that that's your experience there now

Old 11-04-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:

Honestly, I know people who live there now, and I don't know anyone who feels the people in SH are "kind" or "friendly" on the whole, but....ok! To each his own I suppose

Old 11-04-2019, 02:54 PM

8 posts, read 22,710 times
Well, I don't just know people who live here. I actually live here and have spent years volunteering for various school and community groups. This is not a perfect town, but it's definitely not the town you describe.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Well, I don't just know people who live here. I actually live here and have spent years volunteering for various school and community groups. This is not a perfect town, but it's definitely not the town you describe.
Let me get this straight: you find the people in Short Hills, "kind, friendly", and down to earth on the whole?

Old 11-06-2019, 01:01 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
He has an agenda and it's to disparage a town he knows nothing about.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
He has an agenda and it's to disparage a town he knows nothing about.
Who has an agenda?

Old 11-08-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Who has an agenda?
....from your posts, you do.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
....from your posts, you do.
Oh. But you called me "he".

Old 11-09-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
Oh. But you called me "he".

.............................thanks, you proved my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey