Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2007, 07:56 AM

10 posts, read 74,004 times

Advertisements

While browsing real estate listings, I've come across Princeton, Princeton Township and Princeton Junction as seperate search categories. What's the difference? (I'm not from NJ and am perplexed by such distinctions). Thanks in advance to anyone who's in the know and can explain.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,941,289 times
"Princeton" no matter what is attached is a status statement/symbol. Princeton Jct. is actually outside the city/downtown area, closer to the train station. Princeton is the town/downtown and surrounding area (very small geographically). I'm not sure how large or what area is covered by Princeton Township--some of it may actually extend into the area of West Windsor/Plainsboro or other surrounding communities. New Jersey the state, has several counties, and within each county are municipalities (boroughs, townships, cities) which have some of their own services and share others (police, fire, libraries, parks etc.) Very confusing unless you've lived in it.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:20 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feds24 View Post
While browsing real estate listings, I've come across Princeton, Princeton Township and Princeton Junction as seperate search categories. What's the difference? (I'm not from NJ and am perplexed by such distinctions). Thanks in advance to anyone who's in the know and can explain.
Many places and businesses use the name princeton to burnish their image, the reality is that the only real princetons are princeton boro which is surrounded by princeton township and nearby is princeton junction.
and in terms of fu-fu appeal the towns are in that order

Old 12-11-2007, 10:10 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
apvbguy is right. Princeton Boro is a very small (1 mile) area which includes the University, the downtown and a small number of "boro" residential streets. Princeton Township surrounds the boro.
Princeton Jct. is technically the train station and a small residential area located in West Windsor (across Rt. 1 from Princeton).
All three areas have their own individual governing bodies, police forces, fire depts etc.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,974,152 times
The name "Princeton Junction" is a product of the railroad. Princeton Borough, the small downtown area along Nassau Street, where Princeton University is located, was established long before the Pennsylvania Railroad built it's main line, now known as the Northeast Corridor or NEC. However, when the PRR constructed the line, the priorities were to connect Philadelphia, Trenton, New Brunswick, Newark, and later New York with the Hudson tunnels. This didn't allow for a direct connection to Princeton Borough which of course was an important place through the history of New Jersey from the Revolution to the present day. Therefore, eventually a stop was established in nearby West Windsor, and a spur was constructed that would allow a small shuttle to travel between the NEC and Princeton Borough. That line, known as "The Dinky" is traversed by a two car consist which folks use to travel between downtown Princeton (on the university campus near McCarter Theater) and the NEC to all points north and south, from Boston to Washington.

The name "Princeton Junction" was established to mean just that, the junction at which folks could change trains to head to Princeton. It is simply an unincorporated area of West Windsor. New Jersey is quite fond of unincorporated areas. For example, I grew up in Groveville, which is actually located within Hamilton Township. Groveville never was an independent town with its own government, but rather a name that evolved from an earlier name, Locust Grove. Nevertheless, Groveville shows up on just about every New Jersey map I've ever seen. There are also other "Junction" towns in New Jersey-Monmouth Junction, etc... Another curiosity is names spawned by canals. Port Colden and Port Morris are unincorporated areas of northwestern New Jersey which are miles from any navigable body of water, but they were once stops on the Morris Canal in the middle 1800s (which has since been mostly filled in) and the names stuck.

apvbguy does make a good point however that many places, businesses, etc...like to use Princeton in their name. For example, Marketfair Mall on Route 1 was originally called "Princeton Marketfair," but it was located in West Windsor. The name was eventually shortened to "Marketfair" as it is now, though I'm not sure what prompted it. As you often see in central New Jersey (and sometimes beyond) there is no shortage of businesses offering everything from eyebrow waxing to plumbing to pest control which use "Princeton" in their name though they are located nowhere near Princeton Borough or Township. However, the name "Princeton Junction" has actual historical relevance.

Last edited by Badfish740; 12-11-2007 at 11:01 AM..

Old 12-11-2007, 10:57 AM

10 posts, read 74,004 times
Thank you for the information -- it is helpful as well as interesting. Thank you, Badfish for taking the time to explain some of New Jersey's geographical curiosities in terms of place names. It's very fascinating and is starting to make sense to me now.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:53 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
Default zips!

There is Princeton boro, where the downtown and university are. Surrounded by Princeton Township. Different municipal services, share the school district.

As someone mentioned already, Princeton Junction is West Windsor, just a part of it.

Now, all of the surrounding towns have parts of them that use a Princeton zip code (08540) for businesses and residences, but are not Princeton in any way shape or form including Plainsboro, Montgomery, South Brunswick, West Windsor and Lawrenceville and probably even more that I can't remember right now. Oh yeah, even Franklin Township.

So if you search on Princeton, you are going to get gobbleygook. Try to search by the zips and be careful with the 08540 which does not necesssarily mean Princeton. GL!

Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 PM

10 posts, read 40,396 times
my husband has found a place in west windsor however I have read about the gangs in trenton and the crime rate in Princeton as well is it as bad as what I read about I dont want to move two kids into a rough area.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:06 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NU2nj View Post
my husband has found a place in west windsor however I have read about the gangs in trenton and the crime rate in Princeton as well is it as bad as what I read about I dont want to move two kids into a rough area.
NU2 nj- I have lived in the Princeton Jct section of West Windsor for almost 20 years, put a kid through the district from K-12. I also work in Trenton, Princeton and Lawrenceville.
Don't know what you are reading but there is little to no gang activity in Princeton and West Windsor.
Trenton is a whole other ballgame, but has little influence on this area.

Parents in the West Windsor district tend to be very involved in the schools and the kid activities. It is a pretty small, tight community with little tolerence for bad behaviour.
The big complaint from the kids in WW is that this place is "BORING". They are right and as parents we love that complaint!
Be assured that you will not be moving your kids to a rough area!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:43 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
West Windsor? Gangs? Huh? I don't think so...this is soccer mom territory...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey