Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 12:31 PM

165 posts, read 351,326 times

Advertisements

Is a 3000 sq foot home considered a McMansion in NJ?

From Wikipedia:
In American suburban communities, McMansion is a pejorative for a type of large, new luxury house which is judged to be oversized for the parcel or incongruous and out-of-place for its neighborhood. Alternatively, a McMansion can be a large, new house in a subdivision of similarly large houses, which all seem mass-produced and lacking in distinguishing characteristics, as well as appearing at odds with the traditional local architecture.
The term "McMansion" is generally used to denote a new, or recent, multi-story house of no clear architectural style, which prizes superficial appearance over quality. It may seem too large for its lot and rarely has windows on the sides due to closely abutting upon the property boundaries, giving the appearance of crowding adjacent homes. A McMansion is either located in a newer, larger subdivision or replaces an existing, smaller structure in an older neighborhood.
One real-estate writer explains the successful formula for McMansions: symmetrical structures on clear-cut lots with Palladian windows centered over the main entry and brick or stone enhancing the driveway entrance, plus multiple chimneys, dormers, pilasters, and columns—and inside, the master suite with dressing rooms and bath-spa, great rooms, breakfast and dining rooms, showplace kitchen, and extra high and wide garages for multiple cars and SUVs.
Typical attributes also include a floor area of over 3,000 square feet, ceilings 9 to 10 feet high, a two-story portico, a two-story front door hall with a chandelier hanging from 16 to 20 feet (5 to 6 m), two or more garages, several bedrooms and bathrooms, and lavish interiors. The house often covers a larger portion of the lot than the construction it replaces. McMansions may also be built in homogeneous communities by a single developer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 12:35 PM

312 posts, read 686,508 times
If you read the description, it is more than simply being a 3k sq. ft. home that qualifies it for McMansion status. Despite the fact that the term is pejorative, there are times I wish I had a McMansion instead of a small 90 year old house.

Old 09-12-2014, 01:43 PM

51 posts, read 132,446 times
I'm happy to realize that I don't live in one (based on the above description)!

Old 09-12-2014, 03:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
I personally think of a McMansion as a gaudy, tacky, large, overdone house. Ever seen Real Housewives of NJ, even once? Teresa Giudice's house about fits my personal description. A ton of marble, bright recessed lights inside, rather ugly - which is funny because it makes them appear to be so rich when in reality they are bankrupt and both now facing jail time, her husband may even be deported.

That, to me, beautifully fits the meaning of the word "McMansion."

Old 09-12-2014, 04:32 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,773,520 times
3000 square foot is a lot of house in North Jersey. I live in Bergen county and I cant think of a single house that's over 3000 feet in my town. When I think of the word "mcmansion" I think of two things:

1. The new, 3000 square foot house built in an old neighborhood that dwarfs its neighbors

2. The new 3000+ square foot house built in a cookie-cutter newly built neighborhood with no defining characteristics.

Last edited by GiantRutgersfan; 09-12-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 09-12-2014, 04:37 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I personally think of a McMansion as a gaudy, tacky, large, overdone house. Ever seen Real Housewives of NJ, even once? Teresa Giudice's house about fits my personal description. A ton of marble, bright recessed lights inside, rather ugly - which is funny because it makes them appear to be so rich when in reality they are bankrupt and both now facing jail time, her husband may even be deported.

...but shouldn't a person's home be a reflection of the owner's persona?

After all, when you consider the ugly face and personality of Ms. Giudice, as well as her tacky, overdone clothing & jewelry, her "naturally orange" complexion, and her...darker than a coal mine at midnight...hair, I think that their home is an appropriate representation of everything that she and her husband stand for.

In other words...a trashy home for trashy people.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey