Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 11:48 AM

39 posts, read 26,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
From the locations you suggested (Westchester, NY and places like Larchmont or Mamaroneck) I hope your husband doesn't mind spending a good part of his day commuting on the trains.

Just do some research on how many times there are problems/delays with Metro North trains.
Thanks, I will check that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 01:25 PM

821 posts, read 775,499 times
I can’t speak about NJ & Europeans but Larchmont has a decent European population, especially French.

If your husband is commuting to the WTC area, I would stock to NJ if possible.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:04 PM

1,186 posts, read 966,763 times
If you plan to rent, I suggest checking out the Port Imperial area of West New York/Guttenberg, NJ on the waterfront. You have amazing views of NYC, a great waterfront path and your husband will have multiple options to reach work (15 min ferry ride, bus, light rail + PATH, etc). There are many luxury rentals on the waterfront and more affordable rentals the further away (up the hill) you go from the water.

I work in the WTC area and when we first moved to the NYC area we lived in Port Imperial area and it was a great decision and greatly reduced the commuting stress. After staying in the area for a year or two we had a better idea of where we wanted to buy a house and ended up moving to Westchester. I sure miss that short commute now though!

Old 08-13-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaomb View Post
I can’t speak about NJ & Europeans but Larchmont has a decent European population, especially French.

If your husband is commuting to the WTC area, I would stock to NJ if possible.
Thanks

Old 08-13-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
If you plan to rent, I suggest checking out the Port Imperial area of West New York/Guttenberg, NJ on the waterfront. You have amazing views of NYC, a great waterfront path and your husband will have multiple options to reach work (15 min ferry ride, bus, light rail + PATH, etc). There are many luxury rentals on the waterfront and more affordable rentals the further away (up the hill) you go from the water.

I work in the WTC area and when we first moved to the NYC area we lived in Port Imperial area and it was a great decision and greatly reduced the commuting stress. After staying in the area for a year or two we had a better idea of where we wanted to buy a house and ended up moving to Westchester. I sure miss that short commute now though!
Thanks , I will check that, my only concern was (when I was checking Jersey city and Hoboken ) school quality - they were not highly rated. I will check places you mentioned.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:21 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makono View Post
Thanks , I will check that, my only concern was (when I was checking Jersey city and Hoboken ) school quality - they were not highly rated. I will check places you mentioned.
Agree, the schools are not highly rated in that area. I don't have kids so it doesn't factor as an issue to me, but hopefully someone here can recommend if there are any good districts in the immediate Bergen/Hudson County area. From what I understand, the more affluent and suburban towns a bit further North like Englewood Cliffs and Tenafly have more highly rated schools.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:30 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makono View Post

There are many private schools in New Jersey. Costs range from about $8,000/yr (mostly Catholic) to $20,000+. Some day schools also provide bus service for their students.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:17 PM

565 posts, read 722,634 times
Jersey City has 2-3 very good to amazing public high schools, and Hoboken students can apply to the county schools (County Prep and High Tech High) which are both very good schools. The kids are bussed to the county High Schools. However, all of these High Schools have an application process, but if your students grades are good, it's likely she could get into 1 of them. There are also some private high schools, and some high schoolers I know in Hoboken go into the city to private high schools.

Speaking of Artsy High schools--did you ever consider renting in a part of NYC so your kiddo can apply to the performing Arts high schools? You could look into the far reaches of Brooklyn or Astoria/Jackson heights/Sunset Park. School cut offs range depending on district. Most NJ schools have a birthday cutoff of end of Sept--so your kiddo might be in 8th grade (which is considered middle school or junior high) or she could already be considered a High schooler starting in grade 9. Kids apply for high schools in grade 8, so it would be easier if she were going into grade 8 because it gives you some time to make High School decisions. NYC age cut off is December.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
Jersey City has 2-3 very good to amazing public high schools, and Hoboken students can apply to the county schools (County Prep and High Tech High) which are both very good schools. The kids are bussed to the county High Schools. However, all of these High Schools have an application process, but if your students grades are good, it's likely she could get into 1 of them. There are also some private high schools, and some high schoolers I know in Hoboken go into the city to private high schools.

Speaking of Artsy High schools--did you ever consider renting in a part of NYC so your kiddo can apply to the performing Arts high schools? You could look into the far reaches of Brooklyn or Astoria/Jackson heights/Sunset Park. School cut offs range depending on district. Most NJ schools have a birthday cutoff of end of Sept--so your kiddo might be in 8th grade (which is considered middle school or junior high) or she could already be considered a High schooler starting in grade 9. Kids apply for high schools in grade 8, so it would be easier if she were going into grade 8 because it gives you some time to make High School decisions. NYC age cut off is December.

Thanks for suggestions

Old 08-18-2019, 09:47 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Look at Red Bank. It's a little outside the commute window--55 minute train ride to Newark, switch to a 20 minute PATH train ride to the WTC, and there are also a limited number of trains to Hoboken, where you have another PATH to WTC finish.

It's got the art vibe, the nice walkable downtown, decent schools, on the water (Navesink River), near the shore area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey