Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 09:35 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Are public defenders actually private lawyers/firms that get selected by a judge, or is it actually a government position? I always thought it was a government position, and public defender is a direct government employee.
Some are but most are lawyers who work for themselves that need to fill their time and earn some extra bucks, so they show up at the courthouse and offer to be a PD and get assigned cases. They take what they're offered and so does the client.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 05:53 PM

465 posts, read 607,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
It means he was charged with a crime, and like any intelligent person charged with a crime, they are seeking the best possible defense available to them. If you were charged with a crime, you would likely do the same.
Although my post was admittedly too harsh in response to someone looking for help on a forum, I have to respond to “If you were charged with a crime, you would likely do the same.” I can’t begin to imagine being charged with a felony. It’s pretty hard to do. Going over 55 MPH? Ok sure but robbing someone? Stealing a car? Dealing drugs? You’ve really got to work at committing a felony.

OP - maybe others could better help than I, if you say what the charge is.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Committing a crime is rarely a "mistake".
Getting caught is nearly always a mistake.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:58 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
Although my post was admittedly too harsh in response to someone looking for help on a forum, I have to respond to “If you were charged with a crime, you would likely do the same.” I can’t begin to imagine being charged with a felony. It’s pretty hard to do. Going over 55 MPH? Ok sure but robbing someone? Stealing a car? Dealing drugs? You’ve really got to work at committing a felony.

OP - maybe others could better help than I, if you say what the charge is.

I hear you. I don’t have a criminal record and don’t imagine myself ever being charged with a felony either. Some years ago, before I had kids, I watched this movie called Felon. It was about a family man who was burglarized one night when he and his family were asleep and he chased the burglar out of the house with a baseball bat. He swung the bat at the unarmed burglar on his front lawn and killed him. It wasn’t considered self defense because once the burglar left the house, he was no longer a threat. That always kind of stuck with me, and now that I have kids, I can think of quite a few scenarios where I wonder whether I would be able to contain myself from physically assaulting someone who just caused physical harm to my kids, even if they are no longer a threat.

Long story short, any one of us can get “jammed up” given an imperfect set of circumstances.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:08 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
need an attorney on retainer

Old 08-26-2019, 09:21 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Some are but most are lawyers who work for themselves that need to fill their time and earn some extra bucks, so they show up at the courthouse and offer to be a PD and get assigned cases. They take what they're offered and so does the client.
Oh that is cool. But I hope this is only for criminal cases, and not civil. If civil, a lot of people will be taking advantage of the tax pool, and sue others, or get others to sue them with no cost repercussions.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:21 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
But I hope this is only for criminal cases, and not civil. If civil, a lot of people will be taking advantage of the tax pool, and sue others, or get others to sue them with no cost repercussions.
You can rest easy, as the Constitutional guarantee of counsel only applies to criminal cases.

https://criminal.findlaw.com/crimina...-attorney.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey