Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:49 AM

57 posts, read 293,507 times

Advertisements

Dear all,
I am living in Houston , TX. My brother in law stayed in 124 storms Ave, Jersey city, 07303 , from April 2007 - June 2007. Since my brother in law is dumb, he paid $1800 as RENTAL DEPOSIT. And He went back to india on July 2007. Landlord never gave the security deposit back to my brother in law till now. I have been asking that person, his response is horrible ( sometimes very abusive, most of time Lying , ) . Now I cant hold this any more, since its already one year.
I would like to know , Can i fight in this case behalf of my brother in law ( he is in india, he cant come for this issue from india ) ? I am not in the situation to spend any money either.
I need some idea, help, suggestions. please..
I have rental agreement, email conversations ( even with his abusive replies and lying replies like bankruptcy , wife health bla bla bla ) and Phone SMS messages

Thanks
Sathya
Houston TX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 05:37 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
You're not going to be able to go to court over this, since you're not on the lease. If your brother in law isn't willing to come over here and deal with it, you're pretty much out of luck- it'd cost you more than $1,800 to have him hire a lawyer to take the landlord to court for him.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:49 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
Can't the brother-in-law give him "power of attorney" to represent him in small claims court? Sue the lanlord on his brother's behalf and the lanlord has to pay the BIL?

Old 04-17-2008, 06:20 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Can't the brother-in-law give him "power of attorney" to represent him in small claims court? Sue the lanlord on his brother's behalf and the lanlord has to pay the BIL?
I dunno- you're talking about a non- US citizen giving POA to his sister who lives out of state- that may or may not be possible. Then you've got to win in court (which sounds likely), but getting the landlord to actually pay the judgement isn't so simple. She'll spend $1800 in airfare, hotels, etc., before you know it- especially if the case gets bumped from the docket a time or two.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:23 AM

59 posts, read 104,970 times
Listen, let's be real here. Just his ticket from India to the US will cost more than $1800. Forget about this, alright? Take this as a lesson learned and welcome to America.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:33 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyakamaraj View Post
My brother in law stayed in 124 storms Ave, Jersey city, 07303 , from April 2007 - June 2007. Since my brother in law is dumb, he paid $1800 as RENTAL DEPOSIT. And He went back to india on July 2007. Landlord never gave the security deposit back to my brother in law till now. I have been asking that person, his response is horrible ( sometimes very abusive, most of time Lying , ) . Now I cant hold this any more, since its already one year.
I would like to know , Can i fight in this case behalf of my brother in law ( he is in india, he cant come for this issue from india ) ? I am not in the situation to spend any money either.
I have rental agreement, email conversations ( even with his abusive replies and lying replies like bankruptcy , wife health bla bla bla ) and Phone SMS messages

Thanks
Sathya
Houston TX
Was there a lease? Do you have a copy?
Did your BIL break the lease?

I also have to chime in, not worth it. Attorneys are very expensive $200 per hour & up. Airfare from TX to here if you did get power of attorney wouldn't be worth it.

I just did a Zillow search of the address, it appears to be an apartment complex that they sold off the apartments, making them condos I guess. Do you have a unit #?

Sounds like he rented from the owner of the specific unit he was renting.

There is a landlord that made a post about a week ago, you might want to look at the advice in that post. Unless you can get to NJ and file everything yourself, I don't see it being cost effective unless you are lucky and the judge gives travel expenses back.

The problem is you can't get blood from a stone and if the landlord is filing bankruptcy, you can forget getting your money back.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:06 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyakamaraj View Post
Dear all,
I am living in Houston , TX. My brother in law stayed in 124 storms Ave, Jersey city, 07303 , from April 2007 - June 2007. Since my brother in law is dumb, he paid $1800 as RENTAL DEPOSIT. And He went back to india on July 2007. Landlord never gave the security deposit back to my brother in law till now. I have been asking that person, his response is horrible ( sometimes very abusive, most of time Lying , ) . Now I cant hold this any more, since its already one year.

Thanks
Sathya
Houston TX

So you have received the money back?? If so what's your issue?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
I agree with BobKovacs, you won't be able to represent him in court because you're not a party, and therefore don't have any standing. You're not a 3rd party beneficiary either. It sounds like you have already been trying to get the money out of him without much luck. You could threaten to sue and see if he responds. You could also see if an attorney will write a letter to him, which might scare him a little. However, that might cost you a few hundred dollars and he still might not respond. You could also try some asking some kind of law clinic or renter's rights non-profit agency.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:01 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Sounds like a case for "Judge Judy" - they pay you to be on her court TV show..win or lose : )))

Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
yaar i dont get it. Just call the police department in jersey city and explain, maybe they can do something maybe they will hang up. I wouldn't waste to much time on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: