Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 08:22 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times

Advertisements

Three deliveries at valley, no c-sections, private room with nice tv, super attentive nurses, piano player in the lobby and valet parking. Good soups in the restaurant too! Lactation nazis, I mean consultants, are annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 08:49 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldendoodle1969 View Post
Three deliveries at valley, no c-sections, private room with nice tv, super attentive nurses, piano player in the lobby and valet parking. Good soups in the restaurant too! Lactation nazis, I mean consultants, are annoying.
Yeah, the food in Kurth Cottage is GOOD. I was there for a week four years ago when my mom had a quad bypass, and I ate there at least once a day. Meanwhile, my cousin's son was in labor and finally delivered a son. The whole family was wandering around the hospital. We thought for a bit one might be coming in, one going out, but Mom pulled through and is still with us.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:57 AM

4 posts, read 5,791 times
thank you all for the feedback. This is all very helpful. Still hunting for a doctor now but definitely leaning more towards Englewood

Old 09-18-2019, 08:20 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
Our first was born at Columbia Presbyterian in Washington Heights and so we drove into New York for the second and we were coming from a lot further away than just across the river. Their facilities are amazing and the valet parking is weirdly exactly what you need when you drive up with a pregnant lady, can't recommend them enough if you're willing to look across the GWB.

Old 09-20-2019, 08:12 PM

522 posts, read 992,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
speaking for the medical staff: definitely valley over englewood.
Above is right. Our first one was born in Englewood. We chose it due to the low C-section rate plus also had a doula. We used to live in Secaucus and Meadowlands hospital was 5 mins away from our house then but we still chose Englewood.

Our second one was born in Valley. I would have preferred Englewood but we had moved and Valley was now 10 mins away. In Valley too we had a doula. Birth was very fast. Doula had to do nothing but sit and watch.

Yes docs matter but hospital policies matter too. I remember Englewood birth took a long time and hospital doc/nurse in charge probably did not like our ob/doctor waiting so long for natural birth.

And yes valley nurses were very amazing, each and every one of them. Englewood nurses, most of them, were grumpy. It's as if they were not being paid enough.

Hackensack C-rate is very high for first time moms. Maybe difficult cases are sent there and hence the high rates.

Pick a NICU Level 3 hospital if you have an option.

Also consider Holy name hospital. Low c-rates.

For me food, valet parking, private rooms and TV is secondary. Zero influence on hospital decision. In fact we went to Englewood inspire of knowing it was semi private rooms. I think now even they have private rooms

This NJ forum & other forums helped me a lot during those days to decide on the hospital.

And best of luck !

Last edited by Shet; 09-20-2019 at 08:26 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 06:27 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kateskouros View Post
speaking for the medical staff: definitely valley over englewood, but if you insist on delivering in NJ i'd go to hackensack. while we lived in fort lee i delivered both my kids at new york hospital (cornell). best decision i ever made. they have one of the highest rated NICUs in the country. as it turns out my daughter was a premie so it was a great relief to have the best care we could give her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Our first was born at Columbia Presbyterian in Washington Heights and so we drove into New York for the second and we were coming from a lot further away than just across the river. Their facilities are amazing and the valet parking is weirdly exactly what you need when you drive up with a pregnant lady, can't recommend them enough if you're willing to look across the GWB.

Honestly, I think I would be too paranoid having my wife’s hospital in the city for a child birth. Traffic is too unpredictable and imagine she goes into labor during rush hour?! The baby might be born on the GW or in one of the tunnels!

Old 10-03-2019, 10:48 AM

4 posts, read 5,791 times
thank you all for all these information. This is my second baby and having had my first delivery in NYC with a emergency C section, a private room this time is a must for me. I just went to see an OB yesterday and not sure I like the doctor so will be switching the whole practice to perhaps doctors affiliated with Valley

Old 10-03-2019, 07:52 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,867,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Honestly, I think I would be too paranoid having my wife’s hospital in the city for a child birth. Traffic is too unpredictable and imagine she goes into labor during rush hour?! The baby might be born on the GW or in one of the tunnels!
Labors aren't really as dramatic as films would have you believe. It was always 12 hours after we got to the hospital until we were given a little squishy person.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:14 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
Quote:
Labors aren't really as dramatic as films would have you believe. It was always 12 hours after we got to the hospital until we were given a little squishy person.

True but I would be worried sick that we would spend two hours out of these 12 crawling in the GWB traffic with no epidural available. And then a guy would need to essentially live in the hospital for a few days? I don't know about you but I was in the hospital helping my wife practically all day. But then around 10:30 pm or so, I drove 12-15 minutes on empty roads, showered and slept well in my own bed...

Old 10-04-2019, 12:10 PM

565 posts, read 722,532 times
Quote:

Haha, not all labors. I live less than 3/4 of a mile from the hospital and I barely made it before I had my 2nd. I didn't even have time to get into a gown or get into an L&D room. I was checked in at 12:40pm and baby out by 12:56pm....in an operating room off the ER, where I walked in.

I had been going back and forth between Englewood and Hoboken hospital for so long, and I was SO GLAD i picked Hoboken in the end because they were fabulous and I would have my baby in the car if I'd gone anywere further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey