Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2019, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,816 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking to rent an apartment at the intersection of West 2nd Ave and Locust St of Roselle NJ. From online searches and previous discussions in this forum, it seems the St George Ave and 9th Ave are really bad area. But for this area I'm looking at (intersection of West 2nd Ave and Locust St) I got conflicting information online. Some say it's ok but one post quite a few years ago mentioned the 1st to 3rd street (from Wendy's to CVS) of Roselle are also really dangerous. I've also seen previous posts here that advised not to live in Roselle at all because of crime. I went to the apartment and asked a few tenants coming out of the building and they said it's a nice area. I asked a restaurant worker a block away and the policewoman in the police station and they also said it's safe here. Anyone has more information about this part of the town of Roselle? So the "bad guys" in the St George Ave area would not come up a few blocks away to this area? I know some uber/lyft driver would avoid coming to unsafe area. Would they not come to pick up at this part of Roselle?
Thanks a lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 03:12 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,593,220 times
I don't live there but have friends a few blocks away and many decades ago traveled by bus and walked to high school that way. It's sort of middle,I would not expect problems but no one can guarantee anything, which is true of most anywhere.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:32 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,870,328 times
You mean the place with the church, the senior center and the daycare? How safe is that area? Where you went and walked around and asked people, including the police and the tenants there and you still don't trust them? What kind of a response online are you looking for that all of those people couldn't reassure you?

I'm not being sarcastic here, because you went there, you walked around and you spoke with actual people in the area, what could any online stranger with unknown motives say to make you feel better about the place?

Old 09-23-2019, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,816 times
Thanks. It’s the apartment to the east side of locust street on W 2nd. Yes it’s close to the church and daycare. People I talked to said it’s safe but majority of posts in this forum were suggesting Roselle isn’t safe. I’m just wondering if this particular area is acceptable so it’s only the east st George ave area that’s made the poor reputation of Roselle as I have seen from online posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
You mean the place with the church, the senior center and the daycare? How safe is that area? Where you went and walked around and asked people, including the police and the tenants there and you still don't trust them? What kind of a response online are you looking for that all of those people couldn't reassure you?

I'm not being sarcastic here, because you went there, you walked around and you spoke with actual people in the area, what could any online stranger with unknown motives say to make you feel better about the place?

Old 09-23-2019, 07:18 PM

3,305 posts, read 3,870,328 times
You also need to look at the dates on those posts, because I can't recall anything from the past few years calling out Roselle as some kind of gang nightmare.

Don't believe everything you read online, most of the people posting have probably never even been there. People will talk about sections of Westfield, Montclair, or Maplewood as being unsafe.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:54 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,227,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Don't believe everything you read online, most of the people posting have probably never even been there. People will talk about sections of Westfield, Montclair, or Maplewood as being unsafe.
Lol, there are posts on C-D that make South Orange sound like a crime-ridden hellhole, but to this ten-year resident it seems like Mayberry. It's sad how people moving to NJ from out of state are so concerned about crime and safety.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:13 PM

862 posts, read 977,031 times
I know that area and I would not say it is not safe but it is not that great either, but no where close to what I would consider a high crime area and you would have no problem getting a uber.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:04 AM

1,146 posts, read 861,592 times
I live very close to there and will say that area is very safe. The area mostly consists of older professional black families and Mexicans. No young thugs or gangs, if thats what you are concerned about. The only area of Roselle that can be sketchy is the area close to and along St George's Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey