Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 07:06 AM

232 posts, read 278,549 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately that shows how nj job market decline. People want to live close to job centers what left in North nj and NYC plus shrinking middle and working class stay live together longer .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 09:37 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
My wife and I have talked about buying a home in Morris County if we decide to stay in northern NJ. While not cheap, you still get a little more bang for your buck when compared to Bergen County. The only thing that makes me apprehensive is the commute, like everyone has mentioned.

I feel like Warren, Sussex and possibly Hunterdon are more in danger of growth stagnation. Morris is still kind of “close” in the grand scheme of things.

Old 10-06-2019, 09:53 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Its a bit far from the city and unfortunately the local employment situation in the suburbs has taken a hit. I imagine that the loss of companies from Parsippany/Morristown has hit the western part of the county fairly bad.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:44 AM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
True.
Millennials are now turning 24-30, once they look for homes, if they marry young, they want to stay in their activities/nightlife. They won't want to move far.
Millennials are born between 1981 - 1996, making them ages 23-38.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:56 AM

10,482 posts, read 6,999,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Having lived in Morris Twp between 1989 and 2016 I can also add that the number of corporate headquarters has declined significantly. When we moved in back in 1989 and through the 90s there were plenty of places to work and make a good salary without a big commute. Exxon, Honeywell, Warner Lambert, American Home Products, Ciba Geigy, and many others.
You hit the nail on the head. Jobs, jobs, and jobs. Many major corporations that were in Morris County are moving out of the state to more tax friendly locations.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:24 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
You hit the nail on the head. Jobs, jobs, and jobs. Many major corporations that were in Morris County are moving out of the state to more tax friendly locations.
And you hit your head on a nail.

The post you are quoting was saying the complete opposite of "Many major corporations that were in Morris County are moving out of the state to more tax friendly locations."

You conveniently left off the rest of that post to fit your broken record narrative:
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Having lived in Morris Twp between 1989 and 2016 I can also add that the number of corporate headquarters has declined significantly. When we moved in back in 1989 and through the 90s there were plenty of places to work and make a good salary without a big commute. Exxon, Honeywell, Warner Lambert, American Home Products, Ciba Geigy, and many others.

After 2000 the consolidations and the moves out of Morris County started. Many of the higher paying jobs went with them. Now in order to make that kind of money people had to go into NYC which meant longer commutes. Much of Morris County is not near a train line. When I lived there, on the rare occasion I had to go to NYC, I had to drive 15-20 minutes to the train station then get on a train that took another 60 minutes to Penn Station. Then you had to add a walk or subway to your final destination. An hour and 45 minute to two hour commute EACH WAY is not an attractive prospect.

When we were selling our house I was surprised by the number of people who were working in NYC. Many decided it was just too far from the train station to work. I lived right near 287 so I wasn't way out in the western end.
3 out of the 5 corps that person mentioned are pharmaceutical companies. And he/she is talking about mergers and moves to NYC. When pharma companies merge or swallow each other up, they aren't necessarily moving to Podunk, SC...your wet dream of a Promised Land. It depends on where the big fish in the equation is located, and what they want to do with the little fish. Many of them are already in the tri-state or other expensive areas like MA and CA.

AHP didn't move to a "more tax friendly location". AHP became Wyeth, and then Wyeth was acquired by Pfizer. Pfizer's HQ are in NYC. And AHP's old offices in Giralda Farms are now occupied by Allergan. Allergan just got acquired by AbbVie, so who know what will move in there now...but those jobs also are not going to "more tax friendly" states. AbbVie's US offices are located in Chicago, San Francisco and Boston metro, and D.C.

Warner Lambert got swallowed up by Pfizer, which, again, is headquartered in NYC.

As for Ciba Geigy, the pharma divisions merged with Sandoz to form Novartis (which is still in Morris County), while the non pharma bits got sold off to BASF, which is also in Morris County.

In fairness, yes, Honeywell is moving to NC. Have you started packing yet?

Exxon's in Texas, near Dallas, I think. I wouldn't recommend moving there, though. You're way too Morris County sheltered and suburban-soft and wouldn't last a week down there with them good ol' boys.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:31 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
I agree with most of the other posts here, though. All the stuff about the traffic, inconvenient roads, lack of walkability and public transportation, boring/'sleepy' feel, distance from everywhere and everything, and the trend away from wanting 2500 sf houses on half an acre out in the boonies. All true.

Morris County is picturesque and lovely. But it's a PITA.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:47 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,125 times
I’m reading a lot of these comments scratching my head. Since Morris County doesn’t have the insane bidding wars seen in Essex or the ridiculously overpriced homes and congestion of Bergen, it’s “failing”? Mendham, Randolph and Chester are still very expensive areas. I was hoping to find huge houses at 300K for sale, but sadly did not. Morris County is one of the wealthiest counties in the US. Richer than Bergen actually. Morris County has many top-ranking school districts. Many of us have mentioned being wary of living in Morris because of the traffic, meaning people actually DO live there and put up with the commute. Sussex County definitely fits what everyone is describing to a tee. Morris County will be just fine.

Old 10-08-2019, 09:22 AM

189 posts, read 262,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
There are miles of delays on route 80 every morning and afternoon. People don't want to deal with that. I work in Essex County and have a few co-workers from Morris and they constantly complain about the commute.
This! My commute isnt terrible, from Jefferson to Parsippany, its about 40 minutes with traffic, but man sometimes that 40 minute traffic commute becomes 1hour +. Drives me insane

Old 10-08-2019, 09:42 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
I’m reading a lot of these comments scratching my head. Since Morris County doesn’t have the insane bidding wars seen in Essex or the ridiculously overpriced homes and congestion of Bergen, it’s “failing”? Mendham, Randolph and Chester are still very expensive areas. I was hoping to find huge houses at 300K for sale, but sadly did not. Morris County is one of the wealthiest counties in the US. Richer than Bergen actually. Morris County has many top-ranking school districts. Many of us have mentioned being wary of living in Morris because of the traffic, meaning people actually DO live there and put up with the commute. Sussex County definitely fits what everyone is describing to a tee. Morris County will be just fine.
Nobody is disputing the fact that Morris County is wealthy or has good schools. I know a lot of people that live in Morris and it works for them, primarily because they are older (age 40+) and their jobs are located in NJ. For people that work in NYC, or younger people that are moving out of the city and still want to maintain an urban lifestyle, Morris County is not an ideal place to be. This is why you tend to see bidding wars in places like Maplewood and Montclair, but not likely in Randolph or Mendham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey